Christian Bale arrested on assault charges

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
July 22, 2008

LONDON — Batman star Christian Bale was arrested Tuesday on allegations of assault, police said.

British media had reported that Bale's mother and sister complained they were assaulted by the 34-year-old actor at the Dorchester Hotel in London on Sunday night, a day before the European premiere of "The Dark Knight."

The women made the allegation at a local police station in Southern England on Monday, Britain's Press Association news agency said. It said the allegation was then passed on to the Metropolitan Police in London.

Asked whether Bale had been questioned, a police spokeswoman did not refer to him by name but said: "A 34-year-old man attended a Central London police station this morning by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault."

The spokeswoman spoke anonymously in line with police policy and refused to go into more detail. British police do not name suspects before they are formally charged.

U.S.-based representatives for Bale didn't immediately return messages seeking comment. Phone calls to Bale's London representative went unanswered.

The Sun newspaper said police didn't question the actor Monday because they didn't want to interfere with the premiere of the movie.

Wales-born Bale first made a splash as the child star of Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun" in 1987. His screen credits also include "American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins."

In "The Dark Knight," Bale reprises the role of wealthy playboy Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego Batman, a brooding vigilante superhero still scarred by the murder of his parents.

The film, which stars the late Heath Ledger as Batman's nemesis The Joker, took in a record $158.3 million at the box office in its opening weekend in the U.S. last week.

When contacted, Warner reps in London said they were making no comment at this stage.

July 22, 2008

LONDON — Batman star Christian Bale was arrested Tuesday on allegations of assault, police said.

British media had reported that Bale's mother and sister complained they were assaulted by the 34-year-old actor at the Dorchester Hotel in London on Sunday night, a day before the European premiere of "The Dark Knight."

The women made the allegation at a local police station in Southern England on Monday, Britain's Press Association news agency said. It said the allegation was then passed on to the Metropolitan Police in London.

Asked whether Bale had been questioned, a police spokeswoman did not refer to him by name but said: "A 34-year-old man attended a Central London police station this morning by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault."

The spokeswoman spoke anonymously in line with police policy and refused to go into more detail. British police do not name suspects before they are formally charged.

U.S.-based representatives for Bale didn't immediately return messages seeking comment. Phone calls to Bale's London representative went unanswered.

The Sun newspaper said police didn't question the actor Monday because they didn't want to interfere with the premiere of the movie.

Wales-born Bale first made a splash as the child star of Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun" in 1987. His screen credits also include "American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins."

In "The Dark Knight," Bale reprises the role of wealthy playboy Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego Batman, a brooding vigilante superhero still scarred by the murder of his parents.

The film, which stars the late Heath Ledger as Batman's nemesis The Joker, took in a record $158.3 million at the box office in its opening weekend in the U.S. last week.

When contacted, Warner reps in London said they were making no comment at this stage.
I'm not saying this isn't true, but I can't help but feel cynical about it, the whole thing just screams publicity stunt to me. Even if it's not, the studio must be rubbing their hands with glee.

A system of cells interlinked
It seems like reasons are emerging, along with accounts of some erratic behavior since January. Allegedly, Ledger's death deeply affected Mr. Bale, who had been looking forward to sharing the spotlight and accolades with Mr. Ledger once the film opened.

As I guessed yesterday, the assault was apparently just a bunch of yelling in a hotel room, when Bale's mother attempted to intervene in a (verbal) argument Mr. Bale was having with his wife.

Anyone with a family knows how these things can be, so my call of "mountain out of a molehill" would seem to be spot on. I figured some overzealous hotel guest, who knew the identity of the family staying near them, perhaps wanted to break a story that might not have been there.

I can;t fault the guy, really. He must be going through some really tough times right now, and the pressure of celebrity, along with a constant barrage of images and news about his lost friend must really be putting a strain on his life.

Bummer.

I can't see how this could be good publicty for the film (it hardly needs any more) or for Mr Bale. Look what such a story did to Russell Crow.

I can't see how this could be good publicty for the film (it hardly needs any more) or for Mr Bale. Look what such a story did to Russell Crow.
Yeah you've got a point there.

there's no such thing as bad publicity? tell that to all the paedo's out there.

I take my above comments back

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
A story like this can brake a mans carear. So I really cant see it being a publisity stunt. I agree with Sedai with his views its more than likely what has happened.

Who knows. All the story says is that his mother and sister reported him for it. No wife is mentioned. Just them. I've never been mad enough at my mother to do anything, say anything, to get myself into that kind of trouble. I suppose brothers and sisters can fight pretty bad, though. Maybe mom jumped in between that. We really won't know until we know what he truthfully said to them, and vice-versa.

And the 4hr police talk thing?

If I was a police officer I'd a been there all DAY!

Is it bad that the only thing I focused on was that they failed to give him his DUE CREDIT for Newsies?

EDIT: though I fail to see Bale as a violent man, I'm also not inclined to think he should get only a slap on the wrist, or that we should feel bad for him when we dont necessarily give other celebs that same benefit of doubt.

if the mom and sister went to the police, its probably something to it.

I am half agony, half hope.
I heard this story on the radio on the way to work last week, and it seems to be the most accurate right now.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20...t_christi.html
He plays a superhero to strangers in peril, but Batman star Christian Bale balked and went batty over his pauper sister's plea for $200,000, a published report says.
Sharon Bale, 41, triggered her millionaire brother's Bat-rage by giving him a sob story of her struggles to raise three kids, including a newborn baby, legal sources told The Sun of London.
The sister's hat-in-hand request led to Bale's embarrassing arrest on allegations he assaulted his mother, Jenny, 61, and his sister in his fancy London hotel suite Sunday night, the tabloid reported.
"Christian is a very wealthy young man and was asked to help his sister out financially," a source said. "He was asked to loan her £100,000 [or about $200,000], but he refused and that caused an almighty row."
Sharon Bale, a computer programming, told her brother she needed the money to ease her burden of raising her two daughters - ages 10 and 12 - from a previous marriage and a baby from a new relationship.
The Welsh-born leading man's furious rebuff of his sibling prompted him to flip out on his mom, when she butted in and hurled insult's at her famous son's wife, the Sun said.

Johann von Goethe

I heard this story on the radio on the way to work last week, and it seems to be the most accurate right now.
I never really pay a lot of attention to these things... but when I first heard this, my first thought was that money was behind it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

well, i have to agree with sedai...when i first heard it i thought it was a big publicity stunt and that the mother and sister were just making too much out of nothing....

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I always hate hearing about this stuff, because really it's none of my business. (Didn't stop me from reading the thread though, did it? )

Family situations can get really ugly, and I would hate if some of the situations I have been in with my family got drug out into public. I guess I have some empathy for Bale for that reason alone.

Who knows. He may be the worlds biggest ass, but every movie I see him in I have more respect for him as an actor, so I am going to just leave it at that.

If his Mom and sister are schizos like my sister, I don't blame him one bit.

...uh the post is up there...

What?? Go Christian. After a stunt like that, I wouldnt have given them a dime on principal. How do you go to someone on the night of their premiere and ask them for 200 grand?

I dont care if it is your sibling. The sheer audacity of the amount asked for is astonishing - unless she is being evicted/foreclosed on and being put on the street/sent to a shelter, what is God's name could she possibly need 200 grand for?

I can see it all now: he probably called them golddiggers, to which his mother may have retorted that his current wife was much the same, and he went berserk.

She needs to go ask her husband/baby-daddy for some cash like every other normal/single mother. And if she aint single, I wouldnt have given her a dime on the sheer principle tha I'm not letting some fella pimp my sister to me while he hides at home, so he can live the good life.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I don't know, maybe he's just a cheap bastard.

I kid...I kid...

I don't think its such a bad thing to ask a rich brother for a bit of help if you really need it, BUT $200,000 is a LOT to ask for. And one gets the impression that the sister seems rather careless. It also seems like blackmail to me in a way which is rather unseemly.

Who knows? Anyway, I don't see this hurting his career...