Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Stranger than Paradise

My second watch will be a downgrade from what I remember. I do love how the film is shot in black and white and I think the majority of the film shots are splendid. I like the simplicity of the film and it's themes. The characters could admittedly be more interesting but it may be intentional to go along with Jarmusch's themes.

I do like the music and score quite a bit. It's strangely something that I've noticed as a positive to his films I've seen. This won't be in my circle of favorites although before watching the second time I thought it had a chance to be.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Down by Law

I unfortuately didn't care for this one at all. A lot of it has to do with the characters whom I just didn't care for. I didn't care for Tom Waits or John Lurie at all. I don't get the fuss for Roberto Benigni as well. He just wasn't funny to me at all and it seemed as if they tried to make him some sort of comic relief. The I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream scene just didn't click with me. The few things I liked again we're the score, the nice solid black and white cinematography, and the look and shot of the end scene with Waits and Luries characters going separate ways. I also thought it was cheesy how Benignis character found his hook up too. Overall too forgettable for me.

Now I'll shoot for Mystery Train next week.

Down By Law

I really loved this. I loved it so much it makes me feel like I should watch Stranger Than Paradise again because they are so similar in look and tone. They even have one of the same main actors. I think the main difference is how well the humor worked for me in this. A lot of that comes from Begnini.

I love the setup of the film all the characters that get the two main characters in their predicament are engaging. I love the fact that these two men are clearly criminals but they end up getting busted for frame jobs. Very clever story telling.

The camera is also a lot more active at points in this one and I enjoyed those moments. Fun score. This is the Jarmusch I was hoping to see through these four films. Here is hoping the next couple work out this well.

I was sorry to see you didn't enjoy it @rauldc14

Jarmusch for me (so far):

1) Mystery Train
2) Dead Man
3) Paterson
4) Night on Earth
5) Broken Flowers
6) Stranger Than Paradise
7) Only Lovers Left Alive
8) Coffee and Cigarettes

All of his films have something good in them and I really love him as a director overall, but I would only classify the first two as genuine personal favorites. Those two are the real heavyweights of the bunch.
I still have to see Permanent Vacation, Down By Law, Ghost Dog and The Limits of Control.

I hope you enjoy some of his films as much as I did!

Oh yeah i saw the last half hour of Broken Flowers once. Thankfully i don't remember it much because i'm guessing that's an awful way to see it, had no idea who Jarmusch was at the time only watched it for Bill Murray.

So far I've seen 3 of his films and this how I am with Jarmusch right now

1. Night on Earth -

2. Dead Man -

3. Stranger Than Paradise -

Will get thoughts up soon. Also am wondering what I should watch next.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I did enjoy Down by low, so we have similar opinions @seanc It' probably because of mine affection for Roberto Benigni, who makes me laugh every time

Mystery Train

Hard to see how I could have loved this more. I will be honest in that the most famous image from this film had me pessimistic about this one. I thought it would be droll but it had the most life of any of his films I have seen thus far and I love it for that. Very funny and I love films with many different threads that end up connecting. The music, characters, and dialogue are pitch perfect.

Not the first Jarmusch film to do this but I love the theme of everywhere being the same. I love how this theme plays out in the first segment. Especially nice touch was the elvis pictures looking like other famous people. I like the familiar touch points in each section from the previous. I feel Jarmusch uses some great story telling techniques in that way.

This movie made me think of Pulp Fiction a lot throughout. I didn't find anything on the interwebs that indicated Tarantino was influenced by it but I haven't shaken the feeling while or since watching. Absolutely great film.

How I rate/rank Jarmusch:

Dead Man

Mystery Train

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

Only Lovers Left Alive

Stranger Than Paradise

Broken Flowers

Night on Earth

Coffee and Cigarettes

Permanent Vacation

And my short write-up on Mystery Train from seanc's Yearly First Viewing Top Tens thread:

Effortlessly cool, endearingly odd, with characters you want to befriend, deadpan humor that charms, and a languid, almost ethereal atmosphere that captures the myth of Memphis and all of its ghosts. Depending on how the movie holds up on subsequent viewings, this may surpass Dead Man as my favorite Jarmusch. Feels like the older, hipster, spiritual cousin to Pulp Fiction.
So I'm glad I'm not the only one who was reminded of Pulp Fiction. Glad to see you enjoyed it so much, seanc. Now watch rauldc14 hate it.

I think that's my favourite thread on the site, or at least the one that stays with me most. I have a private list on Letterboxd to keep track of my favourite first time watches this year purely for that thread.

So I'm glad I'm not the only one who was reminded of Pulp Fiction. Glad to see you enjoyed it so much, seanc. Now watch rauldc14 hate it.
That's awesome. Thanks for checking in Captain. Me and Rauldc are only watching one more but I think I will end up watching the rest of Jarmusch over the next couple months. Only a few to go.

I think that's my favourite thread on the site, or at least the one that stays with me most. I have a private list on Letterboxd to keep track of my favourite first time watches this year purely for that thread.
That's cool. I really enjoy putting together my list every year. It was my buddy from work's idea. Simple but a good one.

I'm very pleased to read that you loved Mystery Train as much as I did, @seanc! I couldn't stop listening to Blue Moon (the Elvis version) for two weeks after I watched that film. I wanted to stay in Mystery Train's unique mood of romanticized decay.

That's why I made my Movie Log! I can't wait to choose my ten favorites when the year is done. It's a pretty satisfying feeling as a cinephile to realize that you've seen so many new favorites in just a year time.