More Terrorist Attacks

Tools    

The worst terrorist attack since September 11 has taken place on the Indonesian island of Bali, a popular tourist detination [indeed, I was there in July on 2000]. Some Australians have died, there is about 168 [I think] bodies in the morgue and many more yet to be found. I choose not to watch the news, but phrases like "car bombs" leak through the doors and I hear such things. Not good. Not good at all.

Don't forget the French oil tanker. Sorry to hear it had to hit closer to home for you Silver, even when you don't know the victims, there is still that kinship involved when they are your countrymen. Sad, very sad.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'm not torn up over it, although it was obviously an attack on Australians as much as it was an attack on anyone else, you're right. Australians frequent Bali much more so than Americans or anyone else and the attacks were right in the tourist center. Not that I personally think Australia is all that worth attacking.

In other news I had a delightfully heated argument with my mother this morning over conscription. She said that they didn't say they would do it in the last war but they did. I said that no, they did not enforce conscription during the Gulf war.

Turns out she was talking about Vietnam.

I dont believe that the terrorists were aiming at simply australians but just foriegn people in general, Australia isnt really a big threat against the world, if anyone is the major power supply of the world it is America and that isnt said meanly but simply that of fact, America has the biggest war power in the world.

But still it is a sad thing to hear, and only one year, one month and one day from the September 11th attack

They were doing it to get at Australians specifically man, although I agree that we're as big a threat as a can of dog food. They fear that if may have been a local job, meaning Balinese muslims or something like that as a direct shot at Australians. It isn't a shot at foreigners so much because there simply aren't that many foreigners in Bali who aren't Australians.

The latest reports indicated they still didnt think Australians were directly targetted, i concieve the fact your idea is a unfortunate possibility, but the only reason these terrorists would POSSIBLY have for aiming at us (yet not even taking out something that is on out home soil) IS that we are supporting President G. W. Bush

do they know who set up the attacks? the last word i got wind of was that they were possibly Al'quaeda connected but nothing is confirmed.

There are a heap of groups that have connections to Al Quaeda, and yes, they did mention the fact that it could have possibly been an Indonesian group connected to them in some way. And yeah, if they attack Australia it will be because we are supporting the States.

Behind it all there is a sense of bizarre comedy for me. I don't see why anyone would want to attack Bali or the Balinese, possibly the friendliest people in the world, and I think it is ridiculously funny that Australia instills so much importance upon itself when we're such lap dogs to Bush.

I actually wrote a song about it to the tune of Summer Nights from Grease.

"We are Saddam, Georgie and John!"

to you there is always a bizarre comical note, but i must agree 100% on all your main points, i dont know why attack Bali but you must admit that it was completly surprise attack with the location not even mentioned previously in possible terrorist attack destinations.

"we are Saddam, Georgie and john
we like to talk about dropping the bomb"

Close, but no cigar.

G: "I want a war!"
S: "A Holy War!"
J: "And this tune is a song!"
G: "I want a war!"
S: "I want one more!"
J: "Why can't we all get along?"
All: "Shoo bop bop! Shoo bop bop! Shoo bop bop! Shoo bop bop!"

Recently, there's been a sniper shooting random people once in the head in the D.C. area. Geez, I sound like a reporter. Anyway, this guyleft a Terot card, the death one, and it said "I Am God" on it. How strange is that? SB, I happen to like Australia. Actually, I like Steve in particular...but that's none of your business!

Yes we have receieved reports on this random sniper and i have to admit, the guy has brains, he chooses completely random victims, almost impossible to get the guy, but they will get him, oh yes he will make a mistake one day and when he does the police will be there

and what is it with the chicks and the Croc Hunter

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Naisy
and what is it with the chicks and the Croc Hunter
Yes, I'd have to say that's the question on everyone's mind...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth on the Bali bombings. I completely agree with the silver bullet. These places are frequented by Westerners and since John Howard is a spineless brown-noser he insists on kissing americas ass and throwing australia into a war that completely doesnt concern them. the entire issue is about power. unfortunately a lot of innocent people are dying... and has anyone actually thought about the indonesians??? they're tourist industry is in tatters and they've only just recovered from september 11th.
it seems most likely the attack was done by a javanese, considering they are the neighbouring island and they are virtually all muslims. And just to go off on a semi-relevant tangent... how the hell did saddam hussain get into the picture??? as a wonderfully clever person called matt said to me today, "it's no longer a war on terrorism. it's a war on saddam hussain." whats up with that!?!

Originally posted by Orange Pixel
These places are frequented by Westerners and since John Howard is a spineless brown-noser he insists on kissing americas ass and throwing australia into a war that completely doesnt concern them.
It looks like it may concern you after all. By the way, do you ever buy gas?

Originally posted by Orange Pixel
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth on the Bali bombings. I completely agree with the silver bullet. These places are frequented by Westerners and since John Howard is a spineless brown-noser he insists on kissing americas ass and throwing australia into a war that completely doesnt concern them. the entire issue is about power. unfortunately a lot of innocent people are dying... and has anyone actually thought about the indonesians??? they're tourist industry is in tatters and they've only just recovered from september 11th.
it seems most likely the attack was done by a javanese, considering they are the neighbouring island and they are virtually all muslims. And just to go off on a semi-relevant tangent... how the hell did saddam hussain get into the picture??? as a wonderfully clever person called matt said to me today, "it's no longer a war on terrorism. it's a war on saddam hussain." whats up with that!?!
thats more like two dollars worth than two cents, oh lordy "a wonderful person called Matt"??? is there such a thing?

in a more serious note i agree with that last statement (its in italics). I also agree with the John Howard statement, but at least if we are a target we have HOPE that Bush will stand up for us, instead of turning around and saying "australia, wheres that?" which is my step-dad's fear, we give support but just how important are we?

Orange Pixel very nice descriptive post