The Three Parts of Morality

Tools    

I've been re-reading parts of a C.S. Lewis book I first read some time ago. I found one chapter in particular to be very interesting, insightful, and eloquently simple. It's not really preachy or too religious; give it a try.

The Three Parts of Morality
Taken from Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
(subtitles are my own)

What is Morality?
There is a story about a schoolboy who was asked what he thought God was like. He replied that, as far as he could make out, God was "The sort of person who is always snooping round to see if anyone is enjoying himself and then trying to stop it." And I am afraid that is the sort of idea that the word Morality raises in a good many people's minds: something that interferes, something that stops you having a good time.

In reality, moral rule is there to prevent a breakdown, or a strain, or a friction, in the running of that machine. That is why these rules at first seem to be constantly interfering with our natural inclinations. When you are being taught how to use any machine, the instructor keeps on saying, "No, don't do it like that," because, of course, there are all sorts of things that look all right and seem to you the natural way of treating the machine, but do not really work.

Some people prefer to talk about moral "ideals" rather than moral rules and about moral "idealism" rather than moral obedience. Now it is, of course, quite true that moral perfection is an "ideal" in the sense that we cannot achieve it. In that sense every kind of perfection is, for us humans, an ideal; we cannot succeed in being perfect car drivers or perfect tenniers players or in drawing perfectly straight lines. But there is another sense in which it is very misleading to call moral perfection an ideal.

When a man says that a certain woman, or house, or ship, or gardan is "his ideal" he does not mean (unless he is rather a fool) that everyone else ought to have the same ideal. In such matters we are entitled to have different tastes and, therefore, different ideals. But it is dangerous to describe a man who tries very hard to keep the moral law as a "man of high ideals," because this might lead you to think that moral perfection was a private taste of his own and that the rest of us were not called on to share it. This would be a disastrous mistake. Perfect behaviour may be as unattainable as perfect gear-changing when we drive; but it is a necessary ideal prescribed for all men by the very nature of the human machine just as perfect gear-changing is an ideal prescribed for all drivers by the very nature of cars.

And it would be even more dangerous to think of oneself as a person "of high ideals" because one is trying to tell no lies at all (inmitting it only seldom) or not ot be a bully (instead of being a bully only seldom). It might lead you to become a prig and to think you were rather a special person who deserved to be congratulated on his "idealism." In reality you might just as well expect to be congratulated because, whenever you do a sum, you try to get it quite right.

To be sure, perfect arithmetic is "an ideal"; you will certainly make some mistakes in some calculations. But there is nothing very fine about trying to be quit accurate at each step in each sum. It would be idiotic not to try; for every mistake is going to cause you trouble later on. In the same way every moral failure is going to cause trouble, probably to others and certainly to yourself. By talking about rules and obedience instead of "ideals" and "idealism" we help remind ourselves of these facts.

What Makes Something Immoral?
Now let us got a step further. There are two ways in which the human machine goes wrong. One is when human individuals drift apart from one another, or else collide whe with one another and do another damage, by cheating or bullying. The other is when things go wrong inside the individual -- when the the different parts of him (his different faculties and desires and so on) either drift apart or interfere with one another.

You can get the idea plain if you think of us as a fleet of ships sailing in formation. The voyage will be a success only, in the first place, if the ships do not collide and get in one another's way; and, secondly, if each ship is seaworthy and has her engines in good order. As a matter of fact, you cannot have either of these two things without the other. If the ships keep on having collisions they will not remain seaworthy very long. On the other hand, if their steering gears are out of order they will not be able to avoid collisions.

Or, if you like, think of humanity as a band playing a tune. To get a good result, you need two things. Each player's individual instrument must be in tune and also each must come in at the right moment so as to combine with all the others.

But there is one thing we have not yet taken into account. We have not asked where the fleet is trying to get to, or what piece of music the band is trying to play. The instruments might be all in tune and might all come in at the right moment, but even so the performance would not be a success if they had been engaged to provide dance music and actually played nothing but Dead Marches. And however well the fleet sailed, its voyage would be a failure if it were meant to reach New York and actually arrived in Calcutta.

Morality, then, seems to be concerned with three things. Firstly, with fair play and harmony between individuals. Secondly, with what might be called tidying up or harmonising the things inside each individual. Thirdly, with the general purpose of human life as a whole: what man was made for: what course the whole fleet ought to be on: what tune the conductor of the band wants it to play.

The Common Mistake
You may have noticed that modern people are nearly always thinking about the first thing and forgetting the other two. When people say in the newspapers that we are striving for Christian moral standards, they usually mean that we are striving for kindness and fair play between nations, and classes, and individuals; that is, they are thinking only of the first thing. When a man says about something he wants to do, "It can't be wrong because it doesn't do anyone else any harm," he is thinking only of the first thing. He is thinking it does not matter what his ship is like provided that he does not run into the next ship.

And it is quite natural, when we start thinking about morality, to begin with the first thing, with social relations. For one thing, the results of bad morality in that sphere are so obvious and press on us every day: war and poverty and graft and lies and shoddy work. And also, as long as you stick to the first thing, there is very little disagreement about morality. Almost all people at all times have agreed (in theory) that humans beings ought to be honest and kind and helpful to one another.

But though it is natural to begin with all that, if our thinking about morality stops there, we might just as well not have thought at all. Unless we go on to the second thing -- the tidying up inside each human being -- we are only deceiving ourselves.

What is the good of telling the ships how to streer so as to avoid collisions if, in fact, they are such crazy old tubs that they cannot be steered at all? What is the good of drawing up, on paper, rules for social behaviour, if we know that, in fact, our greed, corwardice, ill temper, and self-conceit are going to prevent us from keeping them?

I do not mean for a moment that we ought not to think, and think hard, about improvements in our social and economic system. What I do mean is that all that thinking will be mere moonshine unless we realise that nothing but the courage and and unselfishness of individuals is ever going to make any system work properly. It is easy enough to remove the particular kinds of graft or bullying that go on under the present system: but as long as men are twisters or bullies they will find some new wary of carrying on the old game under the new system.

You cannot make men good by law: and without good men you cannot have a good society. That is why we must og on to think of the second thing: of morality inside the individual.

But I do not think we can stop there either.

How Religion Comes Into Play
We are now getting to the point at which different beliefs about the universe lead to different behaviour. And it would seem, at first sight, very sensible to stop before we got there, and just carry on with those parts of morality that all sensible people agree about. But can we?

Remember that religion involves a series of statements about facts, which must be either true or false. If they are true, one set of conclusions will follow about the right sailing of the human fleet: if they are false, quite a different set.

For example, let us go back to the man who says that a thing cannot be wrong unles it hurts some other human being. He quite understands that he must not damage the other ships in the convoy, but he honestly thinks that what he does to his own ship is simply his own business. But does it not make a great difference whether his ship is his own property or not? Does it not make a great difference whether I am, so to speak, the landlord of my own mind and body, or only a tenant, responsible to the real landlord? If somebody else made me, for his own purposes, then I shall have a lot of duties which I should not have if I simply belonged to myself.

Again, Christianity asserts that every individual is going to live for ever, and this must be either true or false. Now there are a good many things which would not be worth bothering about if I were going to live only seventy years, but which I had better bother about very seriously if I am going to live for ever. Perhaps my bad temper or my jealousy are gradually getting worse -- so gradually that the increase in seventy years will not be very noticeable. But it might be absolute hell in a million years: in fact, if Christianity is true, Hell is the precisely correct term for what it would be.

And immorality makes this other difference, which, by the by, has a connection with the difference between totalitarianism and democracy. If individuals live only seventy years, then a state, or a nation, or a civilisation, which may last for a thousand years, is more important than an individual. But if Christianity is true, then the individual is not only more important but incomparably more important, for he is everlasting and the life of a state or civilisation, compared with his, is only a moment.

It seems, then,that if we are to think about morality, we must think of all three departments: relations between man and man: things inside each man: and relations between mand and the power that made him. We can all co-operate in the first one. Disagreements begin with the second and become serious with the third. It is in dealing with the third that the main differences between Christian and non-Christian morality come out. For the rest of this book I am going to assume the Christian point of view, and look at the whole picture as it will be if Christianity is true.
Any thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements? Praise? Jeers?

I couldn't get through it.
I'll try again later when I'm less bored by it.

Wow. Morality, deep subject.

I know that I portray a certain aspect of myself that is, more or less, a facade. In truth, I feel that I am, by some degree, a moral person. I am a Father, so that tends to lead me into a path of moral conscienseness. Do I believe in a universally moral standpoint? I don't know.

Personally, I have been hurt by people that I have trusted at a young age. That has defined me in certain ways. I guess I am, what most people would call a morally deficient person. I am a kind of a perverted freak , but am I to blame? The first, I don't know, 1,000 sexual experiences I had, were with an old man, that took advantage of me when I was under extreme emotional duress, as a young child. Now as an adult, I find that I can't shake certain ambiguity's that are in me, that define societys idealism of morality. I understand that, and don't want to pass those problems onto my children. I guess that would make me moral, from at least my stand point.

If I really believed what I portray as a certain belief of "evil kicks ass" type of mentallity, then I would be doing a grave mis-service to my beautiful daughters. But I don't. I'm a type of person who is full of rage, and hurt, by being used in a particular way by people that I have trusted. I recognise my faults, such as, being masochistic, and angry, but when I'm with my kids...I'm different. I talk to them about Theology and what they need to find out for themselves, as to what there is to have faith in. I don't, at least 99.9% of me, belive in God, yet I don't push that belief on my girls. I want them to find the answer for themselves. The only way for them to figure it out, is for them to live their lives. I try to make them look through other peoples eyes, and not to judge, and to have forgiveness in their hearts. There are always reasons for people being the way they are, and they need to understand that.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, because I have bad dreams. Actually, alot of nights I wake up. I killed other human biengs in the war, I buried an axe into my Uncle, and I have done so many drugs, that I have damaged my brain. Sometimes I feel the need to cry, because I feel cheated...that my life was made for nothing but pain, but then I look into the eyes of Jacquelyn and Jessica and I know that I've had a bigger calling in life. Not to pass on my disfunctions onto my children. I think I know the meaning of life now...to help make the next generation better than mine.

Am I a moral person? I think so. I am not moral, if you count how my mind actually works. Because my mind is a battlefield. Full of hate and blood. But my girls have yet to see that side of me. For all they know, I am the sweetest, kindest, most loving human bieng on earth. They think I am a good man. And if they think it, then I must be. I keep my fantasies and dreams to myself, and teach them the art of love, and I am a better man for it.

I don't know if what I've said has anything to do with what you were trying to get, as far as a response, on this thread. But, that's what I've come up with. About two years ago, I did about 2 grams of chrystalmeth in 1 hour...I went into a 18 hour, teriffying psychosis. I remember running, and screaming in the streets, and freaking out about the people who were trying to kill me. Ever since, I haven't been able too spell that well, or keep a very good train of thought. I try, but I fail, more often than not.

Anyhoo...that's my thought on this, hope it made some kind of sence.

BTW, if I'm kind of a jerk to the younger people in this forum...I don't mean to, I just have faults, that I'm trying to work through...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The boards seem to be sort of a release for you, man. That's the vibe I'm getting. Do we know more about you than the people you're close to?

Like usuall, I cannot tell if you are being nice or bieng a smart ass...i'll go with the kinda nice idea. Most of my loved ones are dead. Except one of my Brothers and my Dad and his wife. Of course my children too. They know about my life, Jacquelyn has seen a lot of pictures of my life in the gulf, until she cried...then I felt like a heel, and quit showing them to her. My Uncle, who destroyed my life is dead, so he can't hurt me anymore.

As far as bieng a release, I've tried to be honest in the forum before, just to get some "jerk" response, so I quit, now I don't care. I am what I am. It seems that a lot of people won't respond to my posts, so I thought I would let myself be known a little bit and see what happens. If you don't like it, then as Holden said, sue me...

I actually like this forum a lot, and the people in it. I like you, and Yoda...and escpecially Gracie and Naisy, because they are happy. Maybe I'm jealous, maybe not. Alll I know is that they make me feel good, and I kindof feel protective of them. Gracie reminds me of my daughter Jacquelyn, they are the same age.

You're a good kid Matt, I look forward to seeing your movies...unless you give me too much *****, then I'll have to kill you...

First:
Slaytan, your experiences with your uncle do not in any way reflect on YOUR morality. As a child you were a victim of another's immorality... based on your statements here about your own feelings about your daughters I'd say you've handled it all with a grace that we could all hope to attain.

I was not called upon for service in the Gulf as I had broken my body in a motorcyle accident and the armed forces would have nothing to do with me. For your service there, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I see nothing amoral in acts committed in war. Your purpose was to sacrifice a few for the good of many, many, many. I can imagine how being there could really fuk with your head but I have to tell you that most people see you as a hero for going, I know I do. I can't thank you enough.

Somewhat like you, I had a semi rough childhood (yours was way tougher, I was not betrayed by family to nearly the extent that you were)... school of hard knocks I guess you'd say. I'd been beaten, stabbed, shot at etc and put out on the street at sixteen. I've lived with no roof over my head, with no food, no money, no hope. Also like you, I've found redemption in my children. I cannot begin to tell you how scared I am of messing them up (I probably don't need to tell you). I don't know why I'm going on about all this... maybe just to let you know that people do listen to you, and really hear you.

You're a good man, Slaytan... I can sense it and my senses are finely tuned.

To Lewis:
And it would be even more dangerous to think of oneself as a person "of high ideals" because one is trying to tell no lies at all (inmitting it only seldom) or not ot be a bully (instead of being a bully only seldom). It might lead you to become a prig and to think you were rather a special person who deserved to be congratulated on his "idealism."
Bravo... it never hit home to me how much people believe their own idealism is the right way (me included)... I guess it's human nature to think that way but in the future I'll be on the watch for it.
You may have noticed that modern people are nearly always thinking about the first thing and forgetting the other two.
Yep... this is the root of the problem with the world.

Now there are a good many things which would not be worth bothering about if I were going to live only seventy years, but which I had better bother about very seriously if I am going to live for ever. Perhaps my bad temper or my jealousy are gradually getting worse -- so gradually that the increase in seventy years will not be very noticeable. But it might be absolute hell in a million years
Never thought of it that way... I'd tend to be the procrastinator and say "I've got a million years to fix this."

Yeah, I wasn't being a jerk, L.S.
I was being serious.

Now, morality:
I have none. Not a scrap.

Damn, now I'm embarrased...

I really need to stop drinkin'n'postin.

BTW, thanks Toose, SB...

I dont really have anything profound to post in this thread,
I just wnated to say, I printed it out so I could sit in my recliner and read it in comfort since it was rather long. And it made me cry.

I love you guys.

Thats all I have to say.

LordSlaytan
Am I a moral person? I think so. I am not moral, if you count how my mind actually works. Because my mind is a battlefield. Full of hate and blood.
We have very little control over what flashes in our mind. We aren't truly good/bad people, or moral/immoral people, based on impulsive things like that.

As Lewis basically says: it is our actions that make us who we are the most. It is those we have the most control over. We have very little control over whether or not we entertain the thought of being with a woman apart from our wives for, say, a moment or two. We have more control over whether or not we dwell on those thoughts. And we have near total control over whether we act on these thoughts. In the end, you can't reasonably blame people for their impulses. You can't blame someone for feeling the rage necessary for murder. You can only blame them if they give into it.

So, by that standard, I'd say you are a moral person, for the most part. Not that I know you all that well...but if your only reason for doubting your morality is unpleasant thoughts in your mind, well...you could do a lot worse. It's when the thoughts become actions that things get dicey.

Toose
I'd been beaten, stabbed, shot at etc and put out on the street at sixteen. I've lived with no roof over my head, with no food, no money, no hope.
Part of me almost wishes to go through similar things, so I don't have to live with the guilt that comes from the benefits I've had. I haven't led a life of high financial privelage (we were poor in my childhood)...but for most of my life, my family has been loving and attentive.

When I hear things from people like you, Matt, or LordSlaytan, my first impulse is to apologize for my blessings. At the end of the day, though, I guess the best thing to be done is to capitalize on the benefits I have and try to make a difference with them...the same way even those in the gutter should use their blessings to the best of their ability, because in the end, almost all of us have it better than someone else.

Anyhoo, I admit I expected this conversation to go in quite another direction, but I can't complain. It's interesting stuff all the same.

My life has been one of great fortune and of bizarre coincidence and of private torment. If that makes sense. I know how fortunate I am, how lucky, how talented [and I don't mean that it a pompous way]. When I was in seventh grade I won a trip to Paris. When I was in grade five I won a trip to Melbourne. I have visted France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, and I've seen ever inch of my own country; I've travelled its center, its East and West coasts, its snowfields and deserts and major cities. I have three brothers, parents who are together, perfect grades and such and such and so on and so forth.

I am not a moral person.

Things inside the indidual, Lewis says, can pull apart from or collide with one another, thus f*cking the person up. I think my sense of what is right and what is wrong and my sense of personal gain; especially creative gain, is violently askew. For example; recently, about a year now I think, a woman - very prominent local woman - killed herself, suicide, by driving out into a pine forest and not gassing herself, but blowing herself up somehow. This is the way the mother of a character in my new screenplay kills herself after her son's death. Her son dies of an unexplained brain problem; the same thing that killed the sister of a girl at my school. This borrowing from life is wrong no? I don't seem to care about how I get stories; the tales I tell are original, but a lot of the situations are situations that I have stolen from the tragedy of others. The problem is I don't care. Its not that I don't care, either, the fact that I know I don't care, that I feel no emotional anything there and still do what I'm doing because it satisfies my selfish need to get what I want creatively.

That and I think I'm just screwed up. Chris will tell you [and now that I think back, possibly Sadie as well, if she read any what I had for a while, an online journal] that earlier this year I went through a tonne of stuff that made me a twisted individual. I had several bizarre out-of-body experiences [unrivalled since] in which I went nuts at my mother and family, and I can't even remember having done it so much as I can remember having seen myself do it, but just that, just watching. I don't know what that is. I am paranoid a lot of the time, I often dislike myself, and I know that a lot of what I do and say can be hurtful, not just here but elsewhere. But I like to see if what I do can make an effect on people, and it can. And then I steal from their pain and quench my creative thirst.

I'm not a moral person. I may do the right things now and then and when push comes toshove I may do the right things, but lets face it; I'm often the person the person who pushes people to the brinks I pull them back from.

And I only ever pull them back if I have my story.

Good points, Yoda. I also think guilt is kind of key in gaguing one's conscience, which, in my opinion, is the most important part of morality. If you scream at a stranger, hurting their feelings, and feel real guilty a few minutes later, you are probably already ahead of most self-proclaimed moral people, in my opinion.

Originally posted by firegod
Good points, Yoda. I also think guilt is kind of key in gaguing one's conscience, which, in my opinion, is the most important part of morality. If you scream at a stranger, hurting their feelings, and feel real guilty a few minutes later, you are probably already ahead of most self-proclaimed moral people, in my opinion.
True. Too many people use morality as a platform to make themselves look good. Check out the signature of this post for my basic feelings on the subject. It has to be its own reward.

And of course, let's not forget this one:

"To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me."
-- Charles William Stubbs

I'm not old, you're just 12.
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
-- Samuel Johnson

If only people actually lived up to this...in this day and age the instant reaction to anyone who seems threatening is to bomb the crap out of them and kill piles of civilians! Oh, the morality!

Anyway, enough ranting...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Not to seem a tight-a**, but please restrict your political agenda to the threads dedicated to such things. We've got lots of other places already in place to argue about Bush, the wars going on today, etc. I'd hate to see that sort of thing overtake the interesting discussion on morality we've got going here.

I find it amusing that no one tried to talk me out of my views on my own lack of morals...

A novel adaptation.
Bullet,
Simply the fact that you've confessed to these things, well, these things that you believe ar immoral, qualifies you as a moral person. To label one's self immoral, is far too easy, and more than anything, a real cop out. We all know when we've done things wrong (except for some crazies), and we all know when we are violating our own moral code, had you not confessed or seen this things you did as immoral, then we'd have something more to talk about than you making bad decisions, or even having a touch of sadism in you. I do terrible things everyday, but to label myself as a bad person is excusing these things, under the ridiculous pretense that that's just the way I am.

Besides, borrowing things from real life is not wrong; it's just not being a sensitive as the politically correct bullsh*t machine wants us to be.

I've already read the Lewis thing. I even reference it slightly in my take on me. I think there are things within me than clash and collide with each other which don't do me no darn good.

A novel adaptation.
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I find it amusing that no one tried to talk me out of my views on my own lack of morals...
Heh, I was writing the above thing when you posted this.
I was arguing more with your definiton of immorality, as they would qualify myself as immoral, which I do not believe I am.