Didja ever have...

Tools    

Deja Vu?

Didja ever have Deja-Vu?

Didja ever have Deja-Vu?

Am I nuts (no really)... I have this weird sense that I've done things/been places etc all the time. I could just be forgetful and I have been there/done that but I'm not really sure.

Any of you people ever experience the weirdness I'm talking about?

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes, I have De-Ja-Vu from a few dreams, and I get all freaked out because it's like my dreams predict the fututre. Freaky, huh?

Yup. Happens all the time to me. Some people think it means that we have been reincarnated, but that couldn't possibly be the explanation for me. For me, the déjà vu is almost always something that couldn't have been experienced by someone who died before I was born, like something on the internet, or a real long line in a recent movie, etc.

Gracie... yeah, we could start expounding on the parts of our minds that we don't use etc... and if it's possible that there is some 'early warning system' deep in there somewhere...much like the animals who know when the storm is coming...

Firegod... I've often wondered if it is something as simple as a reminder of something else that's just similar enough to seem like we've experienced it before...

It's still in my file of things I don't understand... surprisingly that file grows as I grow older...

Oops, I wasn't locked out, I changed my email address and it made me re-activate my account.

Anyways, deja vu is your brain associating the things that are happening to you now with something that has happened to you in the past. You didn't do the exact same thing but something similar, like, you go into a place you've never been, make a left turn, and knock over the ashcan. Later you go into a different building make a left turn, and knock over a small table. It has to do with the way your brain stores memories as experiences. At least that's what I read a long time ago.

Precognative dreams are a different thing and I do believe in them.

Animals know the storm is coming by the drop in barometric pressure they can feel in their ears which are more sensitive than ours. Also they can hear earthquakes because they make noise on a very low frequency humans can't hear. Cows also make sounds humans can't hear, which I think is fascinating.

I don't think anything gets reincarnated but I'm still nice to small bugs.

Originally posted by sunfrog
Oops, I wasn't locked out, I changed my email address and it made me re-activate my account.

Anyways, deja vu is your brain associating the things that are happening to you now with something that has happened to you in the past.
I rarely get that kind of déjà vu. For me, it is usually something I realize I've never experienced before, or anything like it.

Enemies are so stimulating.
deja-vu is just a mistake in the matrix system.
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
TOOSE! *flings arms around long lost forum fellah* ah. long time no see.

ahem. deja-vu. i get a lot of that. definitely something i haven't REALLY done before but something i 1) daydreamed about 2) sleepdreamed about 3) don't have any memory of but whatever's happening feels damned familiar.

i have 1/2 frequently - some minor happening like a group discussion and it's like a frozen real life picture of a moment in time - all the people in their positions, my position in relation to them, and the feelings, emotions, i had at the time. then months, even over a year later, whatever vision i had - comes true.

but it's not like i can save lives or anything. so, it's not terribly useful. just odd and a bit humbling and invigorating at the same time.

Sunny:
Right... but who's to say that we aren't equipped to sense things that we've just shut off over time.

Firegod:
So how do you explain those things?

Sis:

Thmilin: Hi girl... thanks for the warm welcome! How many times has that happened? Do you remember anything specific?

Bizarro!

I don't know, but my first assumption would be some harmless glitch in the human brain.

Why would we shut it off? If it was useful it would still exist. Like telepathy is useful, imagine all the money we'd save on cell phone bills! Lifting heavy blocks is useful. Most of that weird stuff is useful, why would evolution breed it out? Cuz no one wants to mate with a weird person? Lol.

Actually, telepathy would be great in hunting situations! We'd be super quiet and cordinated! Firestarters would be good for uh.. starting fires! Lifting heavy blocks is impossible I think, cuz if it was easy there would be more pryamids. Everyone would build one. I think it's hard, that's why there's so many ruins. Halfway through they said ****! This is hard! Screw this! and left the ruins half built.

P.s. I''m happy to see you!!!!

Sunny!

Hey... my thought is this:
I do think that with technology and all the gadgets etc. that we have derived/contrived/assembled/applied we have diminished our use of all of our faculties. With computers doing thinking for us (okay, the workhorse part of it) and the fact that we drive instead of walk, eat packaged foods instead of hunting etc.. you can't deny that we are weaker, physically on average than say the pioneers or even cro-magnon. I don't think it's a stretch to say that we have capabilities that we've filtered out the use of over time.

I'm mighty glad to see you too! ... I really missed all of you turkeys... P.S. How are the great Englishmen? The Hawaiian contingent? say hello to all for me if you will ... and Dent! Where is that little SOB? I haven't spoken to him since forever!

i have occasional episodes of deja vu and always find myself declaring "i'm in the middle of a deja vu" (like some dork), and ofcourse even saying it fits the memory i seem to be reliving.
what i have experienced a lot of lately is waking from a dream and just KNOWING that i have had the exact same dream numerous times. it is such a strong sense that the dream is identical to the dreams of the previous few nights and that i just hadn't remembered them...until this third or fouth time around! ..........but that sh*t is no surprise in the freaky world of reverie.

as for waking deja vu, i agree with sunfrog...that our current action fits some basic structure that our brain recognizes......i would add though that it isn't a memory of one similar action (walking in a room and bumping the table matching up with walking into a cafe and knocking the table) rather each element of our current action/scene is remembered separately and fits together like a memory puzzle........all in a flash........bits from our lifetime. that would explain the uncanny feeling that it is just too weird that we would seemingly remember each little detail and feel we'd done the same thing before. in fact we have experienced each element at some time, some of them together, some individually. am i making sense?

am i making sense?

miss thmilin!!! how are you? miss you.

maybe you have something there chris........maybe we forget more than we realize and ..........oh, i dunno.

Lol Yod!
I read something about recurring dreams but I can't remember what. I have a recurring dream that my dad is torn apart by a huge flock of colored pigeons. First they are yellow and blue and green etc... then as they tear him apart they all turn red. We are standing on the roof of a tall building and as I run to help him there are so many birds I am carried aloft through the air and out over the street.

Pretty weird. I have no idea what it means. I've had this dream since childhood about 4 or 5 times.

A novel adaptation.
Yeah, I somehow predicted the ending scene in Phantom Menace in a dream, music and all.
It was the strangest thing I've ever experienced.

When I was six I was staying at my Grandparents farm, when I had a dream about my Granmother visiting with a woman I had never met before. They were sitting at the kitchen table discussing the woman's newborn son Adam. That morning I awoke late in the morning and walked down the steps and into the kitchen. To my surprise, and utter disbelief, there sat the woman with identical colored hair which was also styled the same way. Even their sitting positions were the same. When I finished popping my eyes back into their sockets, I realized that they were talking about the woman's newborn son Adam.

Five years later my Father left our family. About two weeks before he left, I had a dream where my Uncle (who later abused me for years) and I were standing at the bottom of our driveway watching my Father pack up his belongings into the back of his pick-up. I noticed my Uncle's Volkswagen Bug to our left and the sprinkler going in our yard to the right. I turned and looked up into my Uncle's eyes and he said, "Well, your Mother always deserved better anyway". Every detail of that dream came true 3 weeks after my Father left, he was coming back to get the rest of his clothes and his tools.

Last year my Mother died because cancer was running rampart all through her body. It started in her liver and spine and quickly spread. She was complaining of back pain for six months before an orderly at an emergency room discovered it. All those months her regular doctors said she was faking it. Anyway, shortly after she died I had a dream that broke my heart.
In my dream, my ex-wife had called and said she made a mistake and wanted me to come home to the children. The next moment I was ringing a doorbell to a very fine mansion. When the door opened, I was staring into the eyes of the man my ex was married to before me. He said, "Good you're here, the servants quarters are in the back". I walked out to the backyard where there was a large party going on. There were rows of picnic tables and balloons everywhere. The first set of tables I walked along were all the friends I have left behind, for one reason or another. I motioned and beckoned to them, but none seemed to notice my presence, it was as if I were nothing but mist. The second row of tables I walked up to, had my ex-wife and two daughters laughing and blowing out candels on a cake. I realized then that it was a birthday party for my two girls who's birthdays are only one week apart. They were wearing party hats and had party favors too play with. Again, I motioned to them, calling their names, but they never saw me, or was choosing to ignore me. I began to cry because at that time my ex was being hateful, and fighting my visitation order, and I missed my girls tremendously. I walked to the last row of tables and there sat my Mother. She saw me and started waving her arms wildly. She kept calling my name, over and over again. She was so excited to see me, but I was not interested. All I could think about were my girls. I turned my back on her and started to leave when I exclaimed aloud, "Wait Mom's dead!". I turned around and yelled out for my dead Mother. The dream took on a slow motion aspect while my Mother ran towards me for an embrace. Right when we were about to make contact...she disappeared.
I awoke at that moment with tears in my eyes and my Mothers name still formed on my lips.

Sorry for being so long winded. I've had many odd dreams which I remember with a crystalline clarity, but these three really stand out for me.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Okay, I'll keep the thread going. I think that story made us all want to cry.

Have you ever noticed that you know when the phone is about to ring even when you're asleep?

No, I haven't noticed that. You should try to find the few people out there who would pay great amounts of money to anyone who could predict things like that. The thing is you'd be the first one.