just wondering TWTCommish

Tools    

I was just wondering were you got the idea to do this site and how it all work are you doing it out of your house and does it cost alot of money if you don't mind me asking. Just wondering thanks

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The blood, sweat, and tears alone that TWT has poured into this site make me want to get down on my knees and say "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!"
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I don't mind you asking at all. I guess I'll take them in the order they've been asked. I got the idea while searching for domain names...I saw that MovieForums.com, and MovieBoards.com were both available. I thought about it for a bit, and chose, obviously, MovieForums.com. I'd always wanted to try to put together an active community, I was really starting to like movies, and the domain was killer, so I went for it.

I do this out of my house, and don't make any money off of it yet. The costs, thankfully, are minimal. I paid $160 for a lifetime license to run this piece of forum software, though I do have to pay membership fees ($35 a year...not too bad) to keep up with the latest upgrades and such. I also semi-hired a designer for the layout you see now, so that was a bit more. Hosting costs are very minimal now, though they will likely become substantial as the site grows.

The biggest investment, by far, is time, though. The money is nothing to the time. I don't regret any of it yet, though.

Sorry to be so long-winded.

The blood, sweat, and tears alone that TWT has poured into this site make me want to get down on my knees and say "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!"

thanks TWTCommish also this might sound stupid but do you have moderators just wondering cause you have a lot of stuff on your site.

and your site is Super Dope keep up the good work buddy thanks again.
________
VAPE INFO

Well, for now, I'm the only Admin...which means I can mess with anything, basically. Peter (OG-) is a moderator, which means he can move/edit/delete stuff if need be. It's not really necessary 99% of the time, but if my Internet connection goes nuts (it's happened more than once), or I can't be on here for some reason, it helps to have someone else who can clean up any Spiced Ham that might show up.

Glad you like the site. Thanks for the kind words.

I'll just comment on the moderator situation.
Every other board I've been a part of, there has been great need for mods [mainly because the forums are broken up into filmmaking aspects and so you don't post FX in the sound forum etc.] but also there is a HEAP of board politics that you wouldn't believe. Recently I was one of the mods at indiefilmnorth.com that brought down a trouble making member who has being doing the 'rounds bringing sites to their knees since April last year.

This board, yes, yes, we fight a lot, we disagree like anything, we clash heads, we piss each other off, but we always come back because we get along so well when you get to the core of why we're here -- and I know you're thinking movies, but I think the core reason why we're here over and over again is because we have so much fun with each other, and I think that's a credit to yourself, TWT, that the mods AREN'T really required, that the only admin job that needs doing is usually basically tech related [so, I'd assume].

The atmosphere and aura that you have manged to create is unlike any of board or community I belong to, and for that I for one applaud MoFo and it's owner/creator.

Thank you...hopefully it'll stay that way, though we've had our share of messes. I am quite amazed at how smoothly things have gone overall, though. I used to run a sports forum site, and the abused we ran into over the course of maybe 3-4 months was 20 times as bad as what this site has seen in well over a year. We had one member inparticular who would register a racial-slur of some sort as a name, and make racially offensive jokes. For some reason, though, this site has avoided that for the most part. I attribute that to the fact that it has attracted, for reasons unknown to me, so many fine individuals. Thank you all for being here.

TWT, I was just wondering... You spend hours and hours on end programming to make this a wonderful and enjoyable site to all the visitors of MoFo. But what about your family, has it ever occured to you that the little ones need guidence? What if you had a 15 year old step brother that was out killing people because he knew his step brother loved MoFo more than him. What if this were so TWT? Be a mentor TWT, be a mentor

Now With Moveable Parts
What?LOL...T...who is this? A sibling?

Yes, that's my brother, Jeremy. If you click the "search" button on that post, you'll see that almost all of his posts are similar in nature. He likes to say weird, crazy things, and, if at all possible, find a way to quote or reference a movie, TV show, or commercial of some sort.

Now With Moveable Parts
Too Cute! ( see, I would use the new, lovey-dovey face here.)

HA, Jeremy!
TWT this is exactly what I mean, you spend no time with your family, for I am not Jeremy I'm your step brother Rory.

I can picture it now, TWT's room is so dark and dismal. All that gives out light is computer monitor and a few lights on the computer. His food is brought to him on a tray and slipped underneath the door where there is just enough room for such a thing. Whenever TWT opens the door, even when the light in the hall isn't but that of a dim nightlight, TWT must squint due to the brightness of the light.

Doubt it's true, but if you never spend anytime with your family as your admirer here says, that's how I would picture it all.

Well, for one, I'm in a room with two younger sisters, my stepmom, and my baby brother. It's an office...used to be two rooms, but we took a sledgehammer to the dividers, stuck 5 computers in it, and now we've got an office. Anyway, I don't spend time with TWTwannaBe (Rory is his name)...because he sucks. He's an annoying punk who thinks it's funny to walk into my room at that other house (I've got two houses I go back and forth between) in his boxer shorts and lay on my bed while I'm on the computer or something.

Anyway, TWTAdmirerFromAfar is Jeremy. I get them mixed up easily when I don't have the benefit of sight. I am a bit of a loner when compared to the rest of this massive family...but overall I wouldn't say I qualify really.

That is something I've wanted to do at my house for sometime. All for the 5 computer thing. Sounds like you have a nice setup there TWT.

While I'm thinking about it. I had an idea last night, and it involves a flat, or an apartment, flat would work better. TWT gets the place, a couple of us move up there, we turn this place into an office type setup, and we make this site really really big.

Hehe. That'd be cool. Anyway, I only own one of the five computers...but yeah, they are on a LAN. I have another, older computer sitting on the floor in my room. It doesn't even have a C: drive anymore (the result of a botched partition while trying to install Linux)...but the one I have at the other house is pretty nice. 256MB of RAM, to make up for only 350MhZ. It'll be cool if I can get the old one running...when I move out, I'll have 3 computers I can network...either that or I'll just cannibalize the old one, and upgrade the one at the other house, so I can boast two really fast computers...great for LAN games.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spudracer

While I'm thinking about it. I had an idea last night, and it involves a flat, or an apartment, flat would work better. TWT gets the place, a couple of us move up there, we turn this place into an office type setup, and we make this site really really big.
I would never allow that to happen without me involved. No way spud moves up the ranks without me in tow.

It doesn't even have a C: drive anymore (the result of a botched partition while trying to install Linux)...
LOL, I did that once. I didn't destroy the drive or anything, but I screwed up the Master Boot Record (I tried copying something to my Windows partition and the drive wasn't mounted). I ended up having to reformat, repartition and reinstall everything.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah...I HATE when that happens!