I'm Sick

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I work as a teacher, but technically I'm a Computer Lab Aide. I have my own room, my name is outside the door, and the kids call me Mr. Woods. I'd like to think of myself as a teacher.

Yes, I used to work for a grocery store chain that pulled out of our small little town. Which sucked, because now I only get one check a month, instead of one every week.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

maybe it's the door.....it's your virus shield. stay healthy spud

I used to think I was like gifted or something because I never got sick, then my allergies kicked into full gear, and I had to have two surgeries on my nose as a result. But, it's been like 2 years since my last surgery and my allergies still bug me sometimes(I'm supposed to be taking shots, but got tired of having to drive 20 minutes back and fourth to get the shot every week), but who's allergies don't.

I must be...*thrilling music*...Unbreakable...

The Adventure Starts Here!
That hacking cough thing sounds like what my husband's had for the past week. It's hanging on like nobody's business. Pleh.

Every single one of my four kids has been really ill in the past coupla weeks (including TWT with the worst of it). Colds that won't go away for weeks, fever, chills, coughs, chapped lips, headaches -- you name it.

They've been sniffling on me, sneezing on me, hugging me, kissing me ... and have I gotten any of it yet? NO! I swear it's a mom thing -- kinda like God knows we have to stay healthy, otherwise no one eats a real dinner or has clean clothing.

How I've missed this stuff I'll never know. I've been around five very sick people off and on for over a month now, and not one small symptom.

My luck it'll hit me on Christmas Eve or something...!

Don't any of you cough on your monitors, okay? I don't want to catch a computer virus or anything.

I think it's the fact that you've had every cold known to man around you Austruck that keeps you bulletproof to any cold that swings it's ugly head in your direction.

I find myself battling runny noses lately. Wouldn't you know it, not everyone uses the soft tissues for your nose. Some use the rough as cardboard kind. OUCH!!!

Same thing happens here -- we always end up with the crappy generic tissues on hand whenever someone ends up with a cold. It never fails.

I probably have been exposed to more cold viruses just because I'm older than they are, but there are how many gazillions of cold viruses (virii?) out there, and you have to get each one to become immune to it. I seem to remember that if you got two colds a year every year of a long life, you still wouldn't have been exposed to all of them.

Besides, my husband is my age, and he gets sick at every little thing that comes down the pike. (Then again, he does the guy thing and has to make the whole world aware of his every sniffle -- good thing he's cute.)

Could be that I get enough Vitamin C ... or just that moms honestly seem to rarely get their kids' illnesses (considering how intimately they're exposed to them!).

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not complaining!!

Now, keep stocked in Puff's Plus® or good Kleenex® brand tissues, and some nice Nyquil® to get through the night.

Linda
(who loves to use her Alt+174 combo for trademarked names, like a good writer should)

spud, i never got sick except for maybe once a year at most.....and i felt Unbreakable....now, i'm humbled....but still will only be sick for the beginning of the winter season....then my immunities will have filled in the gaps in the FRONTLINES and i'll be invincible again. i still tend to feel Unbreakable in terms of never getting injured...i swear a bus could hit me and the bus would be totaled and i'd walk away.....i don't have to knock on wood, because i have enough other superstitions......just that this isn't one of them. eventhough i was whining about a pulled muscle last week...i found out the cause (carrying my 35lb darlin' on my left.....juttin' my hip out, throwing off my gait.....repeatedly pissing off those muscles). i still feel rather invincible.....but one day i may just crumble into a pile of bone dust......i'll deal with that when it happens....and with luck i wouldn't have to deal with anything if i'm reduced to a pile of bone dust.
so Austruck, are you really T's mom? i'm rather new here, so i don't know.... you have quite a remarkable son. i can't believe he's not like 40 years old sometimes.....and what a cool-headed yet tenacious debator.
hopefully my "mommy" immunity will kick in and i'll remain well even when my child is ill.....i've been pretty grouchy these past few days....feeling like crap certainly lowers the tolerance level.
and spud; did you know that kids who are protected from bacterium and viruses by overvigilant parents are likely to get bigtime allergies/asthma because their body goes looking for something to "react" to and then overreacts....as if it doesn't have anything better to do. they end up with lifelong or longterm allergies and/or asthma because they were spared the colds and coughs and meals of dried worms and beetle carcuses as a tot?? fasssskinatin' eh?!

Patti,

YES! You just stated my view of motherhood! Turns out there are all sorts of studies out there now saying that if you use too much antibacterial soap and rely on meds too much, etc., you end up worse off because your body doesn't have enough chance to fight off germs and disease on its own.

Also (and I LOVE this one), if you overclean your house, etc., you don't learn to fight off common germs either. (This is why I had all my babies at home -- I did not want to expose them to the supergerms of hospitals, resistant to antibiotics, but rather wanted them to start off right in their own home environment. And I didn't do any mega-super-cleaning before each birth either.)

Yeah, TWT (Chris) is my eldest. Trust me -- he's sounded 40 since he was 4. This is the kid who, at a tender age still in diapers, said to his grandmother (who was doing some grandma-like-baby talk), "Be realistic, Grandma." Needless to say, she just about keeled over (with laughter), and learned her lesson.

And, he used to debate her about church attendance when he was about 5. Not surprising, is it?

He's a good kid -- actually, a good young MAN. (Where did the time go? sniffle sniffle) It's weird to have the memory of his newborn days (and prenatal days) as fresh in my mind as when he was just here days ago....But that's the nature of motherhood, I guess.

I try not to debate him too much -- I rarely win.

Linda

Patti, haven't had Asthma, thank goodness for that one, but my allergies tend to lean more towards the fact that I live in Pollentown, USA.

Definition of Nyquil/Dimatapp - Liquid Babysitter.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yay!! let us all be sick together!!

i whined about being sick in the other thread. let me simply add my whooping cough to the throng.

how do you do the ALT+174? i got a "ding" and had it on enhanced mode, too. just typing that got me nada. i was gonna use it to be witty and smart and impress you with my writerly skill but uh ... alas, i have failed.

thmilin - You have to use the keypad on the right to do this. Hold down ALT, and while you have it held down push 0174 and you'll get ®.

My friend and I would get bored in Keyboarding like 5 years ago and we would start finding out how many different things you could make with the ALT and Numeric Pad. Got to be fun after a while.(that's how bored we were)

Yes, that's right -- it has to be the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard, not the numerals running along the top.

I use a lot of those combos in my typesetting work, and they solve a lot of problems (like the fact that there is no division sign or cents sign on the keyboard, but there is a plus sign and a dollar sign).

Here are a few for anyone really really really bored:

ALT +:

… 0133
– 0150
— 0151
© 0169
® 0174
¢ 0162
½ 0189
÷ 0247

Merry Christmas! Free dingbats for everyone! Now, go get a hobby!

Ho Ho Ho!

i just found out last night that i can make an accent sign é for my french, also "ç" and for german...ü (an oomlott). also è , ñ , î , ™ , © , £ , ® , †

Female assassin extraordinaire.
aww, now you see, that means i have to learn how to do the french accents! i'm too lazy too learn a new keyboard language, i was so used to getting away with it.

Here's my sick update: REALLY achey stomach today...and I'm not sure why. I hate some cheese pringles before lunch (no breakfast...I never eat breakfast), and then some pizza, and Diet Cream Soda. Sounds weird, but I eat this kind of stuff fairly regularly without any problems. Anyway, it's really annoying...but I'll be okay so long as it doesn't interfere with LOTR: FOTR tomorrow!

Now With Moveable Parts
I felt kinda sick this morning too...
I think it was all those pictures of Britney Spears...
Now, I'm eating some chips and salsa that I got from Trader Joe's. I love Trader Joe's. Do you guys have those stores in your area?!.......They have Chai Nog!

Chris ... hmmm, lemme get this straight: cheese Pringle's, pizza, and diet cream soda, and this is the regular diet ... and you have no idea why you'd feel kinda icky? LOLOL!

'Scuse me, but let me play mommy for just one second: EAT SOMETHING GREEN! (And no, I don't mean M&Ms or holiday Hershey's kisses, either.)

Well, I only want you to eat healthy because (a) I don't want you to miss LOTR tomorrow, (b) I don't want you sick when you're here this weekend, and (c) I'M going to fill you full of junk food all holiday weekend, so no fair practicing up before then!

ENJOY! Be sure to post some sort of LOTR update (but not in the "I'm Sick" thread), but no spoilers please! NONE! I'm already bummed that I know as much as I do!!

Can't wait to hear how you liked it!

Ooooohhh
I'm dyin over here. I got the flu on Christmas eve and today I feel I've been hit by a train. Every bone in my body is sore...

I m i g h t n o t m a k e i t

Now With Moveable Parts
The flu for Christmas?! Poor baby. Santa must have thought you were naughty this year.hmmmmm...

Welcome to the club, T. I got a sore throat on Christmas eve, but thankfully I never seem to stay sick longer than about 48 hours....

Oh, and based on that rather cheesy test on the "Unbreakable" website, I am 94% unbreakable. Hah. As if I needed any more collaborative evidence to reinforce the conception that, being 19, I am indestructible.