The third man

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Timing
There isn't much constructive about pompous pricks dictating what is and what is not acceptable to the board and the community. Maybe Holden Prick should stick to his long, rambling babbling, self-righteous "reviews" seemingly out of some trash artsie weekly newspaper and let other posters, particularly new posters, post their own damn opinions without Yummy Tummy Holden Prick riding in like the movie cavalry to trash the worthiness of those opinions because they don't meet his "standards". There have always been little MoFo cliques but there's never been a MoFo goon squad of one out to squash the opinions of other posters.
What's got your undies in a bind Timing. Yeah, Holden does get a little on the annoying side, but we get used to it. In fact, he proves to be helpful. I mean when someone just says "it sucks," we would at least like a reason for why the person thinks this. I'm sure Holden isn't wanting to attack this person's "review" simply because all they said was "it sucked" or "it was great." If you would like to continue this debate...PM Timing. Keep the thread on topic. I'm not coming down on you Timing, it's just an act of courtesy to those that are actually wanting to know about "The Third Man," and instead find a childish squabble going on.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I like Holden.
I like how smart he [appears] to be.
I like to try to equal, or at least come close to his knowledge.

The thing about a person like Holden on the boards is when he's at his best, the fact that he's a little bit of a know it all, a little bit of a smart arse, I little bit of a, as Timing likes to put it, pompous prick, makes everyone else try to be their best. He lifts people up to his level.

What the hell is wrong with that?

A toast : To Holden!
Hurrah!

Now With Moveable Parts
Timing, even if that's true...what you're saying about Holden...then it would be up to you to ignore it, and not let it bother you. I agree with you, once in awhile, he comes on a little strong and show-offish...but his opinions and knowledge spark debate, conversation, humor, and the like. You make of it whatever you want. You can blast back at him...you can disagree with him, don't sit here and grumble about it, and call names. You're only making yourself look bad, not Holden.

Honestly, I mostly lurk on these boards as you can tell by my post counts so I do ignore quite a bit of the warfare that breaks out here from time to time. I apologize if I seemed harsh or offended people but the guy just seriously rubs me the wrong way sometimes. On a topic as subjective as movies, it's probably better to lean toward tolerance of other opinions than coming down like you're the master of the movie kingdom, dictating what is and what isn't. I'm guilty of that as I'm sure we all are sometimes on things we feel strongly about but Tummy Yummy seems guilty of it quite often. Carry on...

I must comment in this thread!

The Third Man is one of my all time favourite movies, and I would consider it to be among the greatest every made. The musical score is fantastic. The acting is phenomenal. Carol Reed's Direction, Graham Greene's Screenplay and Robert Krasker's Cinematography are masterful.

Definite. Must. See.

I like this movie. It doesn't suck.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Welcome to the human race...
On topic, I like this movie.

Off topic, what happened to whoever started the thread? There's not even a name.

This movie is way more better than Citizen Kane... and stuff.

Honestly, I mostly lurk on these boards as you can tell by my post counts so I do ignore quite a bit of the warfare that breaks out here from time to time. I apologize if I seemed harsh or offended people but the guy just seriously rubs me the wrong way sometimes. On a topic as subjective as movies, it's probably better to lean toward tolerance of other opinions than coming down like you're the master of the movie kingdom, dictating what is and what isn't. I'm guilty of that as I'm sure we all are sometimes on things we feel strongly about but Tummy Yummy seems guilty of it quite often. Carry on...
Don't feel like a lone ranger--Holden's flamed my butt too. But he can be very insightful and informative when he wants to be.

So what part of Texas are you from? I'm down in Houston myself.

Just went back and read the start of this exchange, and low and behold, it wasn't Holden's fault at all. The other guy just went postal. And all of it back in 2001????? I gotta start looking at the dates on these entries!!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Timing hasn't been to the site for 17 months and hasn't posted for over three years before that last visit. It's all in his profile.

So, spudley (when you get back), did you finally watch The Third Man? You know what? We're trying to discuss Citizen Kane right now, and this would be a damn fine companion piece to compare/contrast with that iconic film. Is this the only thread here about this movie? I remember posting not too long ago in a response to Yoda about the zither music.

one of my top ten favorites
I love this movie

Finished here. It's been fun.
That chase sequence through the sewers at the end of the film is simply incredible. It's so perfectly crafted. Overall I like this film, but the score was rather irritating imo.

The score in this film feels so out of place, imo one of the worst uses of music in all of cinema, if not the worst.

^Yup, I thought the same thing. It became extremely irritating after a bit.Thought I was the only one who thought that.

The score in this film feels so out of place, imo one of the worst uses of music in all of cinema, if not the worst.
We get it, you hate the score. I don't agree with the complaints and I think to call it the worse in all of cinema is silly, but okay

The Third Man is a great film though, I have posted about it before and I am pretty sure it was in my top 50. A brilliant film for a number of reasons, cinematography is my favourite.

Yeah the cinematography is excellent. Very atmospheric.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
We get it, you hate the score. I don't agree with the complaints and I think to call it the worse in all of cinema is silly, but okay

The Third Man is a great film though, I have posted about it before and I am pretty sure it was in my top 50. A brilliant film for a number of reasons, cinematography is my favourite.
The Third Man's score is lovely to listen to and holds up today better than most modern scores that way too heavily underline EXACTLY what's happening in the movie, in case you're not a thinking person (see Flight). We need more Apichatpong Weerasethakul sound and less literal event or mood matching.