🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I did have a fear of snakes on one particular occasion when they infiltrated the basement at my parent's house where I used to sleep.

That probably would have freaked me out enough to make me move.

I used to have a very bad fear of snakes, but then I worked for someone who kept a few snakes in his office, so I kind of got used to them. I still have a fear of snakes, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
On a different note, Hubby and I weren't able to go to see the Star Trek Bridge, but at least I found HUGE tribbles at Walmart for only $4.88 each.

I guess that explains why I've never seen a Klingon in Walmart.

For the "Who's this?" category...
(This one kind of blew me away because I knew I recognized this guy when I first saw him on Seinfeld, but wasn't sure where - every time I saw this episode I thought, "Where do I know that guy from?" then it hit me, I knew he looked familiar!)

It's the guy on the left trying to lift the TV (the others, of course, are Jerry Seinfeld and Lloyd Bridges) - the bald guy played Izzy Mandlebaum's (Lloyd Bridges) son on Seinfeld, but where have you seen him before in relation to this thread?

For the "Who's this?" category...
(This one kind of blew me away because I knew I recognized this guy when I first saw him on Seinfeld, but wasn't sure where - every time I saw this episode I thought, "Where do I know that guy from?" then it hit me, I knew he looked familiar!)

It's the guy on the left trying to lift the TV (the others, of course, are Jerry Seinfeld and Lloyd Bridges) - the bald guy played Izzy Mandlebaum's (Lloyd Bridges) son on Seinfeld, but where have you seen him before in relation to this thread?

I don't watch "Seinfeld", and he doesn't look familiar in that picture. Do you have a picture of him from the front, so I can see his face?

I don't watch "Seinfeld", and he doesn't look familiar in that picture. Do you have a picture of him from the front, so I can see his face?
That's a good question... and if I find a photo of him when he was younger it might make it too easy... I don't want to give it away.

But in looking up the actor just now I come to learn something new myself...
That he was actually on TOS twice! AND he was on TNG once! (I only remembered him from one episode of TOS)

Here's a photo of him from sometime between TOS and Seinfeld!

That's a good question... and if I find a photo of him when he was younger it miight make it too easy... I don't want to give it away.

But in looking up the actor just now I come to learn something new myself...
That he was actually on TOS twice! AND he was on TNG once! (I only remembered him from one episode of TOS)

Here's a photo of him from sometime between TOS and Seinfeld!

From his eyes, he looks like one of the miners from the episode "Mudd's Women", but I don't know the actor's name.

From his eyes, he looks like one of the miners from the episode "Mudd's Women", but I don't know the actor's name.
You win, gbg!

Photos from his THREE Trek appearances:

Gene Dynarski played
"Ben" in Mudd's Women,
"Krodak" in The Mark of Gideon, and
"Cmdr. Orfil Quinteros" in TNG episode titled 11001001

You win, gbg!

Photos from his THREE Trek appearances:

Gene Dynarski played
"Ben" in Mudd's Women,
"Krodak" in The Mark of Gideon, and
"Cmdr. Orfil Quinteros" in TNG episode titled 11001001

He looks so different in "Mudd's Women" and "The Mark of Gideon" that you would think it was a different actor. (Maybe it's the missing sideburns in the 2nd episode.)

He looks so different in "Mudd's Women" and "The Mark of Gideon" that you would think it was a different actor. (Maybe it's the missing sideburns in the 2nd episode.)
I'm not sure about the sideburns. I think it's that ballerina outfit he's wearing.

I'm not sure about the sideburns. I think it's that ballerina outfit he's wearing.
Just curious, Mes... did you have a clue on this one or did you know it before it was revealed?

I'm wondering because I went quite a while seeing his two (I think) appearances on Seinfeld and knowing I saw him somewhere before when he was much younger - I don't remember what finally tipped me off... another viewing of Mudd's Women maybe or the recognition just popped into my head one day?

Just curious, Mes... did you have a clue on this one or did you know it before it was revealed?

I'm wondering because I went quite a while seeing his two (I think) appearances on Seinfeld and knowing I saw him somewhere before when he was much younger - I don't remember what finally tipped me off... another viewing of Mudd's Women maybe or the recognition just popped into my head one day?

You have to remember that Mes and I had the advantage of knowing that he was a Star Trek actor when we saw his picture, so we only had to figure out what episode he was in. When you saw him, you only knew that he looked familiar, but you could have seen him in any movie or TV show that you had ever seen. It wasn't narrowed down for you, so it was easier for us to figure it out.

I recognized only the two images from tos, but I didn't realize the Gideon actor was the same actor from Mudd's Women.

I recognized only the two images from tos, but I didn't realize the Gideon actor was the same actor from Mudd's Women.
I think his role in Gideon was pretty minimal (just an alien official in the background who maybe said one or two lines?) where as his screen time and dialogue in Mudd's Women was pretty substantial - that was the only episode I remembered him from so I also didn't realize he was in another episode. And I don't even know if I saw the episode he was in from TNG - if I did, I didn't recognize or remember him.

Here's a question: The Vulcan neck pinch or nerve pinch - was it simply a technique based on physiology & technique or did it have an "extra-sensory" or telepathic component to it?

The latter could explain why humans couldn't do it. Seems if it was a matter of just finding the right nerve and applying enough pressure with the fingers, an accomplished martial artist of any humanoid species should be able to master it. Granted, Vulcans are stronger than humans, so perhaps you needed Vulcan-level hand strength to perform the move.

For some reason I think the neck pinch had a telepathic component that made Vulcans the only ones able to do it.

I think it is, in a way, related to the mind meld - a nerve pinch that simultaneously limits signals to the brain & distracts the victim, while a quick mind-connect blast (not long enough or deep enough to transfer memories or information) instantly removes consciousness in a way that the victim has no ill effects afterward as they might from a blow or a pinch powerful enough to render them unconscious.

Here's a question: The Vulcan neck pinch or nerve pinch - was it simply a technique based on physiology & technique or did it have an "extra-sensory" or telepathic component to it?

The latter could explain why humans couldn't do it. Seems if it was a matter of just finding the right nerve and applying enough pressure with the fingers, an accomplished martial artist of any humanoid species should be able to master it. Granted, Vulcans are stronger than humans, so perhaps you needed Vulcan-level hand strength to perform the move.

For some reason I think the neck pinch had a telepathic component that made Vulcans the only ones able to do it.

I think it is, in a way, related to the mind meld - a nerve pinch that simultaneously limits signals to the brain & distracts the victim, while a quick mind-connect blast (not long enough or deep enough to transfer memories or information) instantly removes consciousness in a way that the victim has no ill effects afterward as they might from a blow or a pinch powerful enough to render them unconscious.
That's a good theory! I like it quite it a bit. However...(you knew there was a however coming, didn't you? ) in TNG episode from Season 5, "Unification II," there is this:

That's a good theory! I like it quite it a bit. However...(you knew there was a however coming, didn't you? ) in TNG episode from Season 5, "Unification II," there is this:

That does defeat the theory, doesn't it?

And if it is a matter of enhanced hand / finger strength, then Data would also have that (although there never visually seems all that much pressure applied - perhaps it's micro-pressure that only a Vulcan can apply or which could be simulated by a super strong, hyper sensitive android).

Data using the nerve pinch ruins the mystique totally .

As I understand it they developed this thing with the Vulcans around the hands. Sarek and his wife connected two fingers, a bit like holding hands; there's the connection of fingers between Saavik and the growing Spock in Star Trek III. The nerve pinch was apparently part telepathic, as if Spock was telling the other being to switch off. I believe there was also the notion that Vulcans didn't eat meat because they would get a trace of the mind of the slaughtered animal.