The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Con Air
(Simon West, 1997)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 40

The story is ridiculous and so is Nicolas Cage's accent, but it's entertaining as hell and I genuinely love the performances of both John Malkovich and Steve Buscemi. Oh and John Cusack looks great. Have I mentioned yet that I love him?

Chicken Run
(Peter Lord and Nick Park, 2000)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 51

More Aardman insanity. This is the movie that really got me out of the anti-animation phase of my teens. Great stop-motion animation and wonderful voice performances, especially Mel Gibson as the cocky rooster Rocky.

Identity
(James Mangold, 2003)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 68

Though the twist is perhaps not that hard to see coming, I really enjoy the journey to get there. This film is thick with atmosphere and dread and the performances are solid. Oh and John Cusack looks pretty damn good in it, too. But that doesn't influence my opinion of the film at all.
Greattt movie glad to see it on somebody's list

Chicken Run is very good, best Aardman after the original three Wallace and Gromit shorts for me. As i said earlier i hate the term "so bad it's good" but like Showgirls Con Air definitely is that to me; a big dumb mess with terrible acting and dialogue but it is alot of fun anyway.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I'd never seen Brother Bear or even considered watching it until I learned how much you liked it and decided to give it a go. I really liked it. Was a funny, sweet film that I thought had a really big heart to it. As I think I've said to you before I thought The Raven was pretty terrible. I've not seen East of Eden but was made curious about it by your review a while back. And seeing you propel it onto your list already just increases that curiousity. I really like Flushed Away. In fact I'd say it's my personal favourite Aardman film ahead of their more vaunted word; that includes Chicken Run which I've never been all that daft on.

Last Crusade I love and it's comfortably my personal favourite of the Indy films. I was also a really big fan of Last Samurai however I've still only seen it the once. Been meaning to revisit it for over 10 years now. I've seen Encino Man way back when but don't remember a great deal about it. I think it was ok if a bit naff. I have always liked Brendan Fraser though. And Con Air is kind of rubbish but in a kind of brilliant way.

Chicken Run is one of the earliest films where I vividly remember going to the theater to see it. I haven't seen it since then, but remember enjoying it a good bit. It would be neat watching it again after so long.

I also missed your post of The Raven, which I also saw in theaters. I thought it was a decent movie, but not a favorite for me.

Fight Club
(David Fincher, 1999)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 5, 2013 - 12

Infinitely quotable satire with a great story and excellent performances.

State of Play
(Kevin MacDonald, 2009)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

An engaging crime drama with fine performances and something to say about the state of journalism today. This is also the film that made me stop hating Ben Affleck.

Papurika
Paprika
(Satoshi Kon, 2006)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

With visuals that are at once breathtaking and disturbing, this is an unforgettable film from a truly outstanding director.

Fight Club is good, i like it less every time though because i think i've overwatched it. Paprika is good too but is actually my least favourite Kon. Haven't seen State of Play.

Heathers
(Michael Lehman, 1988)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 60

Although I liked this movie when I was a kid, I can much better appreciate its twisted sense of humor now. Also Christian Slater looked damn good in this.

The Fifth Element
(Luc Besson, 1997)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 63

I'm not usually a fan of science fiction, but it's hard not to love this fantastic mix of action and humor with its breathtaking scenes and mesmerizing use of color.

Heathers is good, fun film. I haven't seen much from Christian Slater so when i first saw this i found his similarities to Jack Nicholson really jarring, they felt quite forced, that's until Mr Robot now i realize that's just the way he is; i think Nicholson is the one putting on these quirks more than Slater is actually haha.

I actually tried to watch The Fifth Element a few weeks ago and i really, really hated the start in the temple or whatever it was then i found the next 10-15 minutes very boring other than the brief Bruce Willis and Mila scenes which were alright. It was late at night so i decided to turn it off because possibly that was what was making me not dig the film at all, then the next day when i planned to watch it i ended up joining the 12th Hall of Fame . I'll watch the full thing at some point, i realize that the best stuff is with Bruce and Mila from what i've heard anyway.

Heathers is good, fun film. I haven't seen much from Christian Slater so when i first saw this i found his similarities to Jack Nicholson really jarring, they felt quite forced, that's until Mr Robot now i realize that's just the way he is; i think Nicholson is the one putting on these quirks more than Slater is actually haha.
I can see that when he's playing a cocky character like J.D., but he certainly does sensitive types WAY better than Jack ever could. This is one of four of Slater's films that will be appearing on this list, btw.

I actually tried to watch The Fifth Element a few weeks ago and i really, really hated the start in the temple or whatever it was then i found the next 10-15 minutes very boring.
That's because you suck.

I'll watch the full thing at some point, i realize that the best stuff is with Bruce and Mila from what i've heard anyway.
As odd as it feels to say this, Chris Tucker is pretty awesome in this, too. As is Gary Oldman, but he's usually awesome.

Has Jack Nicholson ever tried to play a sensitive type? And what performances of Slater's are great in that category?

At Acting: Nicholson>Slater
At Playing Jack Nicholson: Slater>Nicholson