The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Zotis, whatever you and I may disagree upon, please tell me I'm not as smug about it as honeykid tends to be.

Iro, I was just teasing because you said:

One of those rare movies that Miss Vicky and I agree on (though I'd still give it a
myself), so you know it's good.
I don't think either of you have good taste. And I did my best to say so creatively. I wasn't being delicate with my words either. I just said what I thought sounded good even though I thought it would probably offend you both.

I would say you Iro, are more smug than HK. While I don't agree with HK about many things, he is much easier to get along with. He says his opinions humorously with a wider margin for error than you, and doesn't take offense as easily. He likes what he likes, and he knows that's just him. But you Iro, you go around toting your personal taste like it's the law.

I don't dislike you Iro. I think you're a good guy. And I like Vicky too. But I think you, Iro, and Vicky, are plebians. HK on the other hand... is just weird.

Hahahaha, I'm really sorry if I've come across as a douche. I don't mean to be rude... maybe I'm just insensitive... I don't know. You know the problem with having only text... I can't convey a friendly tone of voice if my words appear harsh...

No hard feelings or hate.

Originally Posted by Zotis
I don't think either of you have good taste.
*laughs* BTdubs Vicky, just posting to tell you your opinion sucks.

I would say you Iro, are more smug than HK.

Hahahaha, I'm really sorry if I've come across as a douche.
HahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

You know the problem with having only text...
You're a dick, Zotis- I mean SORRY, that was the internet speaking.

Well I'm not surprised that you think I'm a dick Omnizoa, I've been a complete douche to you because I think you're one of the most ignorant twats I've ever seen, but this conversation has nothing to do with you. So butt out.

Iro, well, I may be coming across as very smug in this conversation. I'm not even trying to avoid coming across that way. But in general, I try to have a margin for error. I try to understand that my personal taste is not the definition of quality. I try to appreciate art. And I try to understand quality objectively. But you... you just like crap movies and criticise whatever you don't like just because you don't like it, but then try to pass your personal taste and assumptions off as facts. That's what I can't stand. That's more prideful and arrogant than being cocky in a tongue and cheek sort of way.

in general, I try to have a margin for error. I try to understand that my personal taste is not the definition of quality.
Which is why I call people plebians, the stereotypically preferred insult of the pretentiously enlightened.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Both of you might want to consider, I dunno, cooling it? Whatever it is between you two I'd strongly recommend sorting it out somewhere else.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Great to see you back Victoria. Sorry to hear you've not been well of late

As for Wreck-it Ralph, the first time I saw it at the cinema I really liked it. However when I rewatched it (I think for the animated films countdown) I absolutely loved it. I'm waiting to see what I make of it on my third viewing. If it repeats that same sensation as the rewatch it would definitely make my list of favourite films.

Welcome to the human race...
What's wrong with enlightenment? Or plebs for that matter?
I just find it ironic that Zotis has repeatedly complained about how I apparently tout my cinematic tastes as if they're objective truths and yet seems to think that saying the same thing but with added personal insults is okay because they prefaced it with an "I think", which totally makes it okay because, hey, they're just expressing an opinion and so it shouldn't be taken seriously. Some real "hate the sin, love the sinner" rhetoric going on there.

Zotis, you may have a point about my tendency to put my thoughts about films into rather blunt terms, but your little rant there only serves to show how sprinkling little concessions to subjectivity like "I think" or "I have a wide margin of error" don't really make a whole lot of difference to what you're saying. I guess it does make your words a little easier to just shrug off, which is probably just as well. I will say this, though - namedropping Tarkovsky and Bergman in order to act condescending towards people expressing fondness for a film like Wreck-It Ralph only serves to make you look like a self-important elitist, which ultimately undermines your self-effacing claims about how much you care about the subjectivity of people's opinions and having margins of error.

I just find it ironic that Zotis has repeatedly complained about how I apparently tout my cinematic tastes as if they're objective truths and yet seems to think that saying the same thing but with added personal insults is okay because they prefaced it with an "I think", which totally makes it okay because, hey, they're just expressing an opinion and so it shouldn't be taken seriously. Some real "hate the sin, love the sinner" rhetoric going on there.

Zotis, you may have a point about my tendency to put my thoughts about films into rather blunt terms, but your little rant there only serves to show how sprinkling little concessions to subjectivity like "I think" or "I have a wide margin of error" don't really make a whole lot of difference to what you're saying. I guess it does make your words a little easier to just shrug off, which is probably just as well. I will say this, though - namedropping Tarkovsky and Bergman in order to act condescending towards people expressing fondness for a film like Wreck-It Ralph only serves to make you look like a self-important elitist, which ultimately undermines your self-effacing claims about how much you care about the subjectivity of people's opinions and having margins of error.
Damn. Never before have I been so convinced to see a movie.

Master of My Domain
Iro said what I wanted to say, of course in a way more intelligent fashion.

Inside Out (Pete Docter, Ronnie Del Carmen, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/22/16
Cinema or Home: Work, on my portable DVD player
Reason For Watching: I have a lot of down time at work this week because the boss is out of town, so I needed something to pass the time.
Rewatch: Yes

Possible Spoilers Ahead

The idea of people's minds being controlled by a bunch of characters inside their heads is not new and after the turd that was Brave, I was a bit skeptical of the quality of this film at first. I also didn't exactly love it when I saw it in the theater, though I did like it.

I think this was my third or fourth viewing of the film and my appreciation for it has grown each time. While the premise isn't truly new, the filmmakers really flexed their creative muscles with the way that it was presented. We the viewers are taken on an adventure through the part of the mind where memories are stored and where imagination happens.

I really liked the way that this was explored. We get to see a little girl's emotions develop from infancy to adolescence and they control everything she does from a console inside her head. Granted, she only develops five emotions - Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, and Disgust - but more than that would probably just be confusing for young viewers.

I think my favorite scenes were abstract thought, dream productions, and a certain interaction between Joy and an imaginary friend in the memory dump. There are little things too that really made me smile, like when a container of facts and one of opinions are spilled and get mixed up and are just tossed back in without being sorted (because “Who can tell the difference anyway?”), the gum commercial that gets randomly played inside the girl’s mind, and the place where the deepest fears are kept – inhabited by a giant clown who lives in dark forest of… broccoli. We also get brief (and hilarious) glimpses of the emotions inside the minds of other characters and there's a great little montage of this during the end credits that shouldn't be missed.

As with most family films there are lessons to be learned here. We learn that it’s okay to feel a full range of emotions. We also learn about valuing other people’s input when working as a group and that being a group leader doesn’t mean you’re always right.

Incidentally, Sadness is my favorite emotion - though Funny Face says that if I were to be a character from the film, it would have to be some sort of combination of Anger and Disgust. She is most definitely Joy.

+

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Again a very nice review MV. Inside Out is one I definitely need to give a second watch to. I thought it was very good but was still a little bit disappointed with it, though as has been a frequent problem for me I think my mood may have effected my enjoyment somewhat. I really liked it for small moments and touches as opposed to connecting with the story as a whole; so stuff like how the filmmakers realised the inner mind of Riley through the islands and the like, or how the workers downstairs would randomly send up the commerical jingle to infuriate the mind or dreams being the work of a film production company were my favourite bits. While for whatever reason I didn't really care as much as I felt I should about Riley or the journey that Joy and Sadness have to undertake.

Bolt (Byron Howard and Chris Williams, 2008)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/23/16
Cinema or Home: Work, on my portable DVD player
Reason For Watching: I have a lot of down time at work this week because the boss is out of town, so I needed something to pass the time.
Rewatch: Yes

For whatever reason, this movie seems to be sometimes maligned and other times ignored by movie fans. I, on the other hand, adore it. Perhaps it's because I'm a life-long animal lover (though admittedly not a dog person), but there's just something about this film that really gets to me.

For anyone unfamiliar, the film follows the adventures of Bolt, the canine star of a TV show who believes that everything on the set is real and that he has super powers like his character. After finishing filming on a cliff-hanger episode where his person Penny is kidnapped, he escapes the set in an effort to save her and is inadvertently shipped from Hollywood to New York. There he cat-naps a street smart stray named Mittens (believing that she is working for the villain of the show) and drags her with him on his cross-country journey to rescue and reunite with the girl he loves.

Along the way, Bolt is confronted with situation after situation where his "powers" fail him and he is eventually forced to accept that he is just a dog after all. These situations provide both a lot of humor and a lot of heartache. But this is a family film, so of course Bolt eventually finds strength and courage that are not some practical effects or studio tricks, but real.

But it's really the secondary characters that make the movie for me. This is probably the only movie that could make me smile at pigeons. And of course there's Rhino the hamster - the crazy fan of Bolt's "pictures on the magic box" who joins the pair. But it's Mittens in particular that I find really endearing. She brings a lot of laughs as the only sane creature on the journey and her reactions to Bolt and to Rhino are among the film's highlights. She also brings an emotional wallop in a heart-wrenching scene where she confides to Bolt about her past. It leaves me in tears every time.

Ultimately, the film is probably a little less "adult" than some of the offerings from Pixar and the like, but it's a lot of fun. So, if you're the type of person who can let go of your analytical thoughts and just let yourself enjoy a movie (like us lowly plebeians do), I suggest giving Bolt a try.

-

So, if you're the type of person who can let go of your analytical thoughts and just let yourself enjoy a movie (like us lowly plebeians do), I suggest giving Bolt a try.
( >3>) Hope you're not referring to me. Wreck-It Ralph didn't appeal to me so I just spent 3 hours needlessly trying to articulate why. Not like I wasn't receptive to it.

I wasn't directing that at you, but if the shoe fits...
You mentioned thinking analytically and there's no end to people who'll say, "Don't think about it too hard, it's just a childrens' movie".

I feel like that excuses a lot of bad movies and doesn't give enough credit to good ones.

Having said that, I've never seen Bolt.

You mentioned thinking analytically
I also used a particular word that should've been a big tip off as to who the intended target was. But I do think that when anyone over analyzes films, they take the fun out of watching them.

I'd rather be a lowly pleb who can just sit back and enjoy a movie than some arrogant ass who nitpicks every little thing or namedrops exalted arthouse directors to make themselves feel superior. (BTW, Zotis, I quite like Bergman.)

and there's no end to people who'll say, "Don't think about it too hard, it's just a childrens' movie".

feel like that excuses a lot of bad movies and doesn't give enough credit to good ones.
Whereas I feel there's no such thing as a bad movie, just movies that appeal to different audiences for different reasons.

Having said that, I've never seen Bolt.
Please don't. You tear apart movies that I love.