The MoFo Support Group

Tools    

I said it sounded like Asperger's because:

1. He talks in high pitched voices or gibberish and he makes disruptive sounds -- people with Asperger's are supposed to do weird things with speech a lot.

2. He's unemployed a lot/can't keep a job.

3. He says inappropriate things to people and he'll not take care of himself.

4. He speaks in repetitive words and phrases.

5. He has an odd obsession with his childhood. People with Asperger's have odd obsessions.

I haven't met him in person, so I can't be sure. I once met a guy who was undiagnosed with Asperger's and I later realized he probably had that, then it turned out I was right when he went to the doctor finally and found out.

I lived with a person with bipolar disorder and he was never like the character Monkeypunch described. Not at all. I'm not sure about borderlines.

MACK where have you been?

Busy Nebs! Busy. But its nice to get a minute to pop back in every once in awhile - ebbs and flows, ya'know?

@Sexy - its likely youre right, but you know, Im thinking that if a person is that problematic, as in - needs professional help problematic - a friend isnt really equipped to put up with that in the long term. The friendship will end badly if its lopsided in dependency (unless its also romantic, and is very traditional in gender roles, and its the woman dependent on the man - I have one of those now, and after 15+ years, he's finally cracking under the pressure), because a friend is a friend, not a babysitter or a parent.

most normal people find living together other normal people trying on a friendship. I have two now who arent admitting it, but they are finally trying to separate their roommate status...nicely, and they're having a hard time getting it done. There is always a lopsided power dynamic, and I warned the one with financial power that she shouldnt let the one with emotional power live with her (I wouldnt let the emotional power one live with me, either) rent free, because it would twist and potentially ruin their healthy friendship.

Lets just say that years later...Im right.

Bottom line?

1. No one who is not immediately related to me by blood, or in a reciprocal romantic relationship should be able to make me uncomfortable in my own home. They leave, or I leave. Preferably BEFORE the situation escalates out of control (e.g. fisticuffs, police, broken belongings, things irrevocably said that shouldnt have been said.)

2. There is nothing wrong with sitting down and discussing the situation like adults. Example: I'm unhappy. This will demonstrably change within 1 month, or you will move out. No change? You have 3 months to amass a security deposit, and 1st and last months rents for yourself, or find other housing. This is your move-out date:____________. Alternatively, you can simply say nothing, but amass your own move out funds, and secure other housing - if youre nice, and dont fear retaliation, you can even tell them in enough time for them to find another roommate.

Problem solved.

The reason any problem is not solved, is because we arent sick enough of it to actually solve it, assuming we can. If you cant solve it - youre stuck. If you can solve it, and dont? Nothing can be done until you do it. Wishing it were better doesnt make it better - steps must be taken. Either youre really tired of it, and will take those steps, or you just want to complain about it, but then do nothing.

Pissed? Put him out. Problem solved.

That's what Im saying.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Things have gotten better. I talked to him, he's made real strides in trying to be a better roommate and controlling his outlandish behavior. We almost get along again enough where I can be in the same room as him for any period of time. His laugh is still jarring, but then that's not a real big problem, I mean people cannot change how their laugh sounds. I cannot complain about that.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Things have gotten better. I talked to him, he's made real strides in trying to be a better roommate and controlling his outlandish behavior. We almost get along again enough where I can be in the same room as him for any period of time. His laugh is still jarring, but then that's not a real big problem, I mean people cannot change how their laugh sounds. I cannot complain about that.
It's good to talk glad things are better !

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
Feeling down, angry, helpless... My friend with cancer got somewhat good news of it's treatable. But I saw him the other night and I honestly realize more worse days are ahead of him. He's already losing his hair and gets winded easily. I don't go see him much as I should. My coping mechanism.

I'm honestly worn out.. I'm fighting inner fight of doubt, feeling unworthy, and being alone. I love being her mom so don't assume I don't. But I have no close friends to hang out with or our kids to have play dates.

Gave up on going back to school when I learned of my friends cancer. Just took every bit of happiness I had going on away. I'm wanting to start school or do something new with my life... Feeling lost

Feeling down, angry, helpless... My friend with cancer got somewhat good news of it's treatable. But I saw him the other night and I honestly realize more worse days are ahead of him. He's already losing his hair and gets winded easily. I don't go see him much as I should. My coping mechanism.
Don't let your friends illness get you down, be glad for him it is treatable, the reality is that people with cancer are given a poison so it does make them sick but it also makes them heahlty in the long run

I'm honestly worn out.. I'm fighting inner fight of doubt, feeling unworthy, and being alone. I love being her mom so don't assume I don't. But I have no close friends to hang out with or our kids to have play dates.
Don't doubt yourself, you are a talented person you just haven't found your thing yet being a single parent can also hold you back

Gave up on going back to school when I learned of my friends cancer. Just took every bit of happiness I had going on away. I'm wanting to start school or do something new with my life... Feeling lost
Go Back to school! it is your friend who is sick, School is where you will also meet friends as you will have things in common. Life goes so quickly and then you only have regrets about what you wanted to do, in the words of Yoda "Just Do"

Also just want you to know i you and I'm glad you are back :kiss; we are all here for you

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
So, I have been going back and forth to see different drs regarding my depression and anxiety and they suggested going to see one of their colleagues to see if I have Aspergers. I went had the test last week and had the results yesterday. I have been diagnosed with Server Aspergers as I nearly topped the charts in the tests.

I dont know what to do with this information now... My wife is being very understanding and so is her family but I cannot tell my family (well the remaining few I bother with) as they are not very supportive of anything I do and they think depression isnt real and so is my Fibromyalgia/Gout and they think im doing it so I can claim benefits and not work, which is a joke as I dont claim any benefit at all and was working right up to the point when I was ill. So I dont want to give them anymore ammo to use against me. I think now that I have this diagnosis I can start to sort myself out and just keep on doing what I have been doing but with a better understanding now.

This news yesterday blew me away as I never even thought about this diagnosis, it never entered my head as I dont know much about it and thought they were just fobbing me off to someone else for some random 'test' as they didnt know what to do. But clearly they thought they saw something in me maybe, I dont know.

I didnt know what else/where else to write this.

Wow n3wt, that's mind blowing. At least now that you have this diagnosis, you may be able to find effective ways of dealing with your depression/anxiety because you will understand yourself better. I hope I'm making sense.
As a sufferer of depression myself I know what a debilitating thing it can be. Try to surround yourself with people who will support you, and keep clear of those who drag you down. And you always have us MoFos.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Thank you it blew my mind yesterday as it was completely unexpected but makes allot of sense to me and my wife. Since my health was getting worse being around those idiots in my family we moved away and I dont bother with them. We are much happier with this as they just keep going with the same **** different day and we dont have to put up with it at all. Were just happy to move on with this diagnosis now and try to get some normallity back.

Some people have thought I have Asperger's and I can see why. Some other people don't see it in me at all and I can see why. Someone once tried to completely convince me that I had it and it freaked me out at first, but I have since learned that that person can't be trusted with anything they say.

Having met others with Asperger's though, I do think there's something real to it. There is something different about these people. But I also think this diagnosis, as well as depression and ANXIETY!!!! is really rather trendy right now, just like people and their gluten intolerances.

I never suspected you had Asperger's, but then again you're a member of this forum, which to me is a sign of that being possible. They say the majority of people who heavily use the internet, on forums and such, have it because it is a way to talk about their special interests and such.

I wouldn't make such a big deal out of this. Don't let the diagnosis define you if you don't want it to.

Asperger's is not mental retardation or anything really bad. It is just a way of classifying people who behave differently.

The Rodent never talks about it, but he has mentioned that he has Asperger's. You could PM him for his thoughts on it.

I don't talk about it, because I don't see it as a problem. It's just part of me. What I am. Who I am.

If anything, I naturally embrace it and use my obsessive side as an advantage. I have obsessions toward very particular things, The Lincoln War and most recently The D'Artagnan Romances. If something takes my fancy, I will study every aspect of it until I'm happy I have as much knowledge as I am comfortable with.

There shouldn't be more to something than there needs to be.
I mean, people hang on so much analysis of a condition and how to "live a normal life with it", rather than looking at the strengths and using them to an advantage.

Asperger's has many, many parts to it... the only thing I would recommend to n3wt, is to study in depth how far in the condition he is, what his little traits are, what his ticks and buttons are... then use those to his advantage to better himself as a person... rather than to try to suppress those things to try to live what Doctors and other people would call "a normal life".
F*ck that. It's part of you, buddy... run with it and use it as a strength. Turn it on itself and use it like a cheap hooker and get as much out of it as you can.

One word of serious and genuine advice though: Don't let it control you.
You control the buttons in your head. The little sparks that make the condition "tick"... control it and utilise it to your advantage.
Asperger's can be one hell of a gift if you use it right and you keep a logical head about it and don't let it run over you.

I agree with Rodent in that you should learn as much as you can about your condition. Especially the ways it can help and hurt you and learn to emphasise one while minimising the other. It sounds obvious, but it's so easy to get caught up in your own thoughts and for a chain of possibilities to look like certainties.

We're always here if you need us.

Newt sorry to hear...I hope things work out and people become more understanding.

I'm excited that n3wt has Asperger's! I find it fascinating. Now I really need to study him and see how his Asperger's shows. You totally didn't beep on my Asperger's Radar before. Two people with Asperger's at Movie Forums! Are there any more? Honeykid, do you have Asperger's? Maybe this Drew Barrymore thing is an Asperger's obsession.

There's lots of movies and books about Asperger's. There's a movie called Adam. I reviewed it. I didn't care for it much, but it was well received by critics. And there's Mozart and the Whale starring Josh Hartnett. I liked that one. In fact, I still have my copy of it / need to watch it again / possibly me, you and Honeykid could have an Asperger's Movie Commentary together.

John Elder Robison has it. He's the brother of the writer Augusten Burroughs. He's written some books, too. I have one.

Dan Aykroyd has it. That's why he's kind of odd and has an obsession with UFOs and trying to get Ghostbusters 3 made.

Susan Boyle has it.

Albert Einstein. Daryl Hannah. Stanley Kubrick.

Courtney Love has high functioning autism, I see (that explains everything).

Lots of people have been speculated to have it, including Marilyn Monroe. George Washington. Carl Jung. Ben Franklin. Michelangelo. Nikola Tesla. H P Lovecraft. Thomas Jefferson. Virginia Woolf. Vincent Van Gogh. Wassily Kandinsky. Alfred Hitchcock. Andy Kaufman. Andy Warhol. Charles Schultz. Howard Hughes. Jim Henson. Al Gore. Crispin Glover (that explains everything). Oliver Sacks. Robin Williams (really???!)

It's really a remarkable trait. A sign of genius, practically. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Why haven't I been positive repped yet?

Where did you hear that Stanley Kubrick has Asperger's? I've never heard that before, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

I honestly do have Asperger's Radar. There was this guy I met one time -- he didn't know he had it, yet -- and I was telling a mutual friend, "That guy has Asperger's for sure!"

Of course, it was really obvious that there was something unusual about him, but nobody knew what it was, not even him. Then one day he finally got diagnosed. I was applauded for my Asperger's super sleuthing.

Where did you hear that Stanley Kubrick has Asperger's? I've never heard that before, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.
Here:

http://robephiles.hubpages.com/hub/T...rgers-Syndrome