Actors and politics

Tools    

I have this partially truth based theory that actors who are not booking jobs that are worthwhile and whose career is not going well turn to political causes just so they can keep their mind occupied or get attention and not go crazy because of being rejected again and again for auditions. Thoughts ?

I'm sure it's true in some cases, but a number of prominent counter-examples come to mind (Clooney and DiCaprio are both outspoken, and it seems to correlate with their success, if anything), so I probably wouldn't agree with it as a highly generalized statement.

I'm sure it's true in some cases, but a number of prominent counter-examples come to mind (Clooney and DiCaprio are both outspoken, and it seems to correlate with their success, if anything), so I probably wouldn't agree with it as a highly generalized statement.
You are not gonna like this but I think they do it so they can increase their influence in the society. Good intentions are least of their motivating factors. you dont get that top by being nice.

Why wouldn't I like that? I'm sure many public figures engaging in seemingly altruistic acts are significantly motivated by self-interest. Only part I might not like is the implication (if you're even making it) that this is always or almost always the case, which I don't think we can really know. I'm sure it's true a significant amount of the time, though.

You are not gonna like this but I think they do it so they can increase their influence in the society. Good intentions are least of their motivating factors. you dont get that top by being nice.
Actors are people, just like you and me...And there are 10,000's of them, probably even many more than that. So they will run the gauntlet of personalty types & political motivations. I would venture a guess (because it's not a theory) that most political active actors do so because they believe in the causes they support.

A more interesting topic is:

Is it wrong to judge actors and the movies they make based on their politics?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'd say there's a big difference between the 40s and today... I think The Backlist created a lot of self-censorship, but some didn't cave. They also mentioned the cause effectively, and not like a bunch of jackasses. I think Brando could have pulled a better stunt, but people still talk about it today, but what has been done for their cause? Today though, I don't even think they are good intentions.... After hearing some Arquette's ham BS and then Meryl (who I used to like), I thought what a bunch of fake hypocrites. I might be liberal, but I can't seem to stand any of them. Stockbroker's mentality for more for whatever they want.. When the money is enough, they want statues. I imagine every guy will have to throw in a lot of hashtags to preface, or to get in with the ladies. I'm not looking for a woman, but I could be insincere and just talk about the plight of the latest hashtag.

I'd say there's a big difference between the 40s and today... I think The Backlist created a lot of self-censorship, but some didn't cave. They also mentioned the cause effectively, and not like a bunch of jackasses. I think Brando could have pulled a better stunt, but people still talk about it today, but what has been done for their cause? Today though, I don't even think they are good intentions.... After hearing some Arquette's ham BS and then Meryl (who I used to like), I thought what a bunch of fake hypocrites. I might be liberal, but I can't seem to stand any of them. Stockbroker's mentality for more for whatever they want.. When the money is enough, they want statues. I imagine every guy will have to throw in a lot of hashtags to preface, or to get in with the ladies. I'm not looking for a woman, but I could be insincere and just talk about the plight of the latest hashtag.
I think the seminal example for all this is when Meryl Streep called Weinstein god when infact the whole industry knew what kind of a human he was and yet everyone laughed at the joke. That to me is clear cut example hypocrisy

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I think the seminal example for all this is when Meryl Streep called Weinstein god when infact the whole industry knew what kind of a human he was and yet everyone laughed at the joke. That to me is clear cut example hypocrisy
Yes, and many other cases like this.. I remember Meryl and many others cheering on Roman Polanski, too.. I don't think they are liberals, they are whatever the currency of the day is.