Oscars Add New Category for Popular Film

Tools    

That's not actually a rule. Amour and Crouching Tiger are two foreign language films to be nominated for BP in recentish years. Of course they'd never win and i get what you mean and agree with you, technically a foreign film could win though.
That's even more ludicrous then......so movies in a foreign language CAN be nominated for best picture!

Just looked it up........and in 90 years of the academy awards, just 10 movies in a foreign language have ever been nominated for best picture. What a joke.

That's even more ludicrous then......so movies in a foreign language CAN be nominated for best picture!

Just looked it up........and in 90 years of the academy awards, just 10 movies in a foreign language have ever been nominated for best picture. What a joke.
Yeah, i was actually going to edit that in but i figured you were responding. They are actually saying that they consider every country but 99.9% of the time the best 5-10 films are in English.

Yeah, i was actually going to edit that in but i figured you were responding. They are actually saying that they consider every country but 99.9% of the time the best 5-10 films are in English.
That's quite something isn't it. What a rabble.

My primary concern is making sure I don't miss things during the telecast, because it can be pretty rapid-fire as it is with a small handful of technical categories. Buckle up.

Welcome to the human race...
I think I do find the changes to the broadcast more bothersome than the existence of a "most popular" award (which is still pretty bad for reasons already mentioned) - I actually care about the tech awards and it's bad enough that they get shuffled on and off like they do without having to get circumvented by editing for a more easily digestible broadcast.

The worst academy president in history is continuing her run.

Look the Oscar's need new categories if I were in charge of the Academy...

1. Best Picture
  2. Best Director
  3. Best Lead Actor
  4. Best Lead Actress
  5. Best Sup. Actor
  6. Best Sup. Actress
  7. Best Actor - for an individuals body of work over the year not just for one performance
  8. Adapted Screenplay
  9. Original Screenplay
  10. Cinematography
  11. Score
  12. Song
  13. Documentary
  14. Foreign
  15. Genre - much like Foreign I would have the nomination process pick the best film from each "genre" and have a run off. So Horror, Comedy, Science Fiction, Action, Musical, Thriller, etc can compete with the dramas.
  16. Animated/Live Action/Documentary Short
  17. Sound Mixing/Editing
  18. Visual Effects
  19. Costume/Makeup
  20. Production Design
  21. Editing

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Honestly, wtf. I'm very confused. If we get another blockbuster in the same level as films like The Dark Knight or Inception, I want them to get nominated because they are good enough to compete with the best of the year, not because they have their own cute little category. This would definitely undermine the value of the Oscar, which is supposed to be: "the most prestigious" award in Hollywood. Seriously though, why undermine the foundation of the entire ceremony, just to have a slight bump in ratings? Get out of here.

Also, does that mean that films like Incredibles 2 and Coco are eligible to get nominated for Best Picture, Best Animated Picture, and Achievement in Popularity? Lol what a complete mess.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well, we already know that Black Panther won this award, so I agree what is the point?

Either way, this will be a useless Oscar.

Honestly, wtf. I'm very confused. If we get another blockbuster in the same level as films like The Dark Knight or Inception, I want them to get nominated because they are good enough to compete with the best of the year, not because they have their own cute little category. This would definitely undermine the value of the Oscar, which is supposed to be: "the most prestigious" award in Hollywood. Seriously though, why undermine the foundation of the entire ceremony, just to have a slight bump in ratings? Get out of here.

Also, does that mean that films like Incredibles 2 and Coco are eligible to get nominated for Best Picture, Best Animated Picture, and Achievement in Popularity? Lol what a complete mess.
there is a overlap though between popular movie and best picture..so movies like the dark knight will get nominated in both places

there is a overlap though between popular movie and best picture..so movies like the dark knight will get nominated in both places
Even so, making an entire category for "popular" film just undermines the value of the Oscar. Plus, it would definitely shift the votes if a film is nominated in two categories. An Oscar member could easily say: "This film is already nominated for popular film, so it doesn't make sense for me to vote it for best picture" which really diminishes the chances of a really great popular film to compete. Just look at how close Mad Max: Fury Road came in the 2016 Oscars, don't we want more of that?

Considering Disney now owns something silly like 80% of the entire movie industry, and they have a thing for pumping out non-offensive asses-on-seats family friendly ticket making machines... this all seems (and this is the conspiracy theorist in me) like a ploy to get more revenue.

Even so, making an entire category for "popular" film just undermines the value of the Oscar. Plus, it would definitely shift the votes if a film is nominated in two categories. An Oscar member could easily say: "This film is already nominated for popular film, so it doesn't make sense for me to vote it for best picture" which really diminishes the chances of a really great popular film to compete. Just look at how close Mad Max: Fury Road came in the 2016 Oscars, don't we want more of that?
I think it forces studios to take risks and make more movies like the martian or the revenant or those 100 million $ original movies. I don't ever see Academy giving an Oscar to something like an avengers. Because that movie is way too pandering to audience. On the contrary, movies like the ones i mentioned are just as popular and most importantly they are not pandering to audience.

I think it forces studios to take risks and make more movies like the martian or the revenant or those 100 million $ original movies. I don't ever see Academy giving an Oscar to something like an avengers. Because that movie is way too pandering to audience. On the contrary, movies like the ones i mentioned are just as popular and most importantly they are not pandering to audience.
Exactly my point, when a movie like Avengers (which is pandering) starts to get nominated for the real awards, it makes it all the more special, transcendent in a way. Lord of the Rings and Mad Max: Fury Road were films that swept at the Oscars which makes it all the more special, because they were crowd pleaser films that were still being recognized for their exceptional technical achievements . If the popular film category existed back then, Lord of the Rings would've won the popular award and that's it, which undermines the film exponentially. Last year Logan was nominated for Best Screenplay, and that is another Comic-Book film, that was special, "popular film" is not special, not in my opinion. Similar to the "Best Animated" category, last year animated films were so stale, that we had films like The Boss Baby nominated, and nobody in their right mind thinks that was an Oscar caliber film.

Well, we already know that Black Panther won this award, so I agree what is the point?

Either way, this will be a useless Oscar.

I'm pretty sure the only reason they made this is so they don't get hate when Black Panther doesn't get a Best Pic nom

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm pretty sure the only reason they made this is so they don't get hate when Black Panther doesn't get a Best Pic nom
I agree! I really do feel that way. I'm a big Marvel guy but the fuss over that movie is too extreme

The Boss Baby was nominated last year? ugh....
Lol, exactly my point. Sub categories like these forces the academy to scrape the bottom of the barrel for contenders, it's psychotic.