Oscars Add New Category for Popular Film

Tools    

The 2022 one already came true sorta with Made In America's win.

Also i don't care about this, sorry i know that's a typical response but i don't think the Oscars are worth anything beyond a bit of fun in February.

Curious if it's supposed to be Best Most Popular. The five biggest films at the Box Office are nominated and the old white dudes watch and vote on what's best.

Must be doin sumthin right
This is kind of a shame but the oscars have been in a tough spot for a while. The casual movie fan's perception has been that academy award winners are almost all too artsy and the cinephile's perception has been that the awards are too middlebrow and safe. So things like this and the 10 film best picture field are just bids to appeal more to the general public side of that coin. And I mean to be fair they've always been more about the Hollywood industry than the art of movies, so it does make sense that they'd chase the prevailing winds. The real problem is that the prevailing winds are so depressing. Feels a bit like Idiocracy with an institution legitimizing the tastes of a generation of adults that spend 99x more money on movies made for teenagers than for grown ups. They'll probably still find it in their hearts to toss a few token noms to the arthouse set

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This is another of those Best Animated Film category additions - a way to help "popular films" win nominations and Oscars. It's doomed to failure because of no long-term plan - just constant reactions to diverse constituencies. You non-fans of technical awards taking too much time might be more or less ambivalent.than previously..

It would be a good year to finally add Best Stuntwork, considering how Tom Cruise kicked everyone's batooty in that regard.

Must be doin sumthin right
This is another of those Best Animated Film category additions - a way to help "popular films" win nominations and Oscars. It's doomed to failure because of no long-term plan - just constant reactions to diverse constituencies. You non-fans of technical awards taking too much time might be more or less ambivalent.than previously..

This is the worst part of the press release

Originally Posted by The Academy of "Motion Picture Arts & Sciences"
To honor all 24 award categories, we will present select categories live, in the Dolby Theatre, during commercial breaks (categories to be determined). The winning moments will then be edited and aired later in the broadcast.

The truth is in here
The Oscars have always been a joke to me, which is why I never get excited about them like others do. But this has to be the dumbest decision yet. SERIOUSLY? "Most popular"? Who gives a **** which movie is the most popular, all that matters is that it's a quality type of movie. Jesus...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It would be a good year to finally add Best Stuntwork, considering how Tom Cruise kicked everyone's batooty in that regard.
I thought Buster Keaton did awesome this year.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I thought Buster Keaton did awesome this year.

No CGI back in the day.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Does La La Land get an Oscar after all?

And ruin Adnan Virk's career defining moment?

The Oscars have been in a tailspin for awhile. It is because they have become way too political as this decade. They have turned off about 40% of their voters in this fashion; I quit watching about five years ago. This is simply a desperate attempt to try and keep ratings from slipping even further.

It isn't about the Oscars being too long.
It isn't about not having an MTV-esque Most Popular category.
It is all about telling half of your audience that they are scum for their political beliefs.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this, and I'm one who typically sticks up for these things.

Anyways I know this isn't until 2020 but Black Panther would win this award this year so they could make a huge deal still out of the film, correct?
No, it goes into effect for this year's Academy Awards. They don't move up the date of the telecast three weeks earlier until 2020, but this new "award" will be in the ceremony coming up in February 2019.

Dear Member,

Last night, the Board of Governors met to elect new board officers, and discuss and approve significant changes to the Oscars telecast.

The Board of Governors, staff, Academy members, and various working groups spent the last several months discussing improvements to the show.

Tonight, the Board approved three key changes:

1. A three-hour Oscars telecast

We are committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours, delivering a more accessible Oscars for our viewers worldwide.

To honor all 24 award categories, we will present select categories live, in the Dolby Theatre, during commercial breaks (categories to be determined). The winning moments will then be edited and aired later in the broadcast.

2. New award category

We will create a new category for outstanding achievement in popular film. Eligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming.

3. Earlier airdate for 92nd Oscars

The date of the 92nd Oscars telecast will move to Sunday, February 9, 2020, from the previously announced February 23. The date change will not affect awards eligibility dates or the voting process.

The 91st Oscars telecast remains as announced on Sunday, February 24, 2019.

We have heard from many of you about improvements needed to keep the Oscars and our Academy relevant in a changing world. The Board of Governors took this charge seriously.

We are excited about these steps, and look forward to sharing more details with you.

John Bailey and Dawn Hudson

The Academy later issued an addendum:

While the details for a popular film category are still being finalized, a single film is eligible for an Oscar in both categories — Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film and the Academy Award for Best Picture. The new category will be introduced this coming year, at the 91st Oscars. In creating this award, the Board of Governors supports broad-based consideration of excellence in all films.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...edium=referral
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Just Announced:

The Mofo Film Awards has a category.

Most Natural Portrayal Of Someone Waking Up From Sleep Award.

Suspect's Reviews

It's just a bit of fun isn't it. They're not a serious award ceremony. I mean how can it be serious when one of the criteria for THE top film award is that it has to be in a certain language?

There are 6000 languages spoken on this planet. But the best film of the year must be of a certain language.

#Diversity

It's just a bit of fun isn't it. They're not a serious award ceremony. I mean how can it be serious when one of the criteria for THE top film award is that it has to be in a certain language?

There are 6000 languages spoken on this planet. But the best film of the year must be of a certain language.

#Diversity
That's not actually a rule. Amour and Crouching Tiger are two foreign language films to be nominated for BP in recentish years. Of course they'd never win and i get what you mean and agree with you, technically a foreign film could win though.