Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

Just rewatched The Roaring Twenties and I too think it's a good watch, sadly the rest of her 30s output is not readily available to me at this time so that remains the sole one of hers from that particular era that I've seen (I do know her from her 40s work as well though).
I seen that you gave The Roaring Twenties
I'm thinking most folks will enjoy that film. I wonder if Cagney will make an appearance on my list

It's too bad you couldn't find Four Daughters I think that would be a very popular movie, as John Garfield turns in one of his best performances here as a self doubting man who believes everything in life is stacked against him. He takes the movie from fun and charming to a whole new level.

If you, or anyone whats any help locating movies, I'm usually pretty good at it and always happy to help

If you, or anyone whats any help locating movies, I'm usually pretty good at it and always happy to help
Actually found Four Daughters in two parts on Dailymotion - not ideal but I'm just settling down to give it a whirl

I seen that you gave The Roaring Twenties
I'm thinking most folks will enjoy that film.
It has a little something in it for a number of demographics so should garner a fairly broad audience and whilst Ms. Lane may not be the best singer in the world she certainly carries a tune better than Ms. Bow imo

I can't say I've ever heard Clara Bow sing? Mostly I've seen her silent films. When I first got into movies, I bought a collection of all the silents she had made and that still existed.

I've only seen two of her talkies. True to the Navy, which was ah-OK and Call Her Savage which was scandalously soapishly good

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I actually found Call Her Savage on youtube. The opening credit audio is a little choppy but it works once you get into the movie without any issues at all. Gonna probably watch it tonight at work.

Dayum that Dailymotion watch was painful with an ad about every four feckin' minutes
Didn't completely ruin what is a good movie but certainly didn't do it any favours

I can't say I've ever heard Clara Bow sing?
She sings in Love Among The Millionaires if you want to hear her

Dayum that Dailymotion watch was painful with an ad about every four feckin' minutes
Didn't completely ruin what is a good movie but certainly didn't do it any favours
once upon a time Daily was pretty good. Not so much anymore. They seem to do the same thing to movies that youtube does to music

Just watched Call Her Savage (thanks again Ed for letting us know the sound on that link isn't haywire throughout as I had feared), Ms. Bow's performance is nice and it's not unenjoyable but the tale isn't that well joined together at times imo and some of the dialogue and support could have been better.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#30 Favorite 30's Actress is

Priscilla Lane

Filmography Biography

Priscilla Lane was 22 when she made her first film Varsity Show, in which she played the nice girl singer in a big band. Through out her career she would portray the nice, girl next door image both on and off screen. She's mostly known for her work in the 1940s, but she did star in few choice 1930s movies including:

Four Daughters
(1938) which was Oscar nominated for 5 awards including: Best Picture, Best Director Michael Curtiz and Best Writing Screenplay. Four Daughters was written to highlight Warner Bros new up and coming star Priscilla Lane and features her real life sisters, Lola Lane and Rosemary Lane.

Daughters Courageous (1939) Made by the same director, and starring the same cast
(Claude Rains, the Lane sisters, Gale Page, John Garfield) and with the same story premise of Four Daughters, but with different character names, so not a sequel per say. But still a good film.

Four Wives (1939) If all this isn't confusing, Four Wives is a sequel to the hit movie Four Daughters and has most of the same cast, sans John Garfield. All three of these par well together.

The Roaring Twenties (1939) Priscilla was busy making movies in 1939! And this one was a huge hit and is highly regarded today. It's a period piece looking back at the days of prohibition and mobsters in the 1920s. Stars: James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Priscilla Lane...and has an impressive 7.9 rating on IMDB

I like Priscilla Lane in Arsenic and Old Lace and Saboteur, but those are both movies from the 1940s. I don't think I've seen her in any 1930s movies, except The Roaring Twenties, but that was a while back, so I don't remember it very well.

I added the other three movies you listed to my watchlist, (as well as Four Mothers (1941), which appears to be another sequel to the series). They sound like movies that I might like.

My #30 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Edward Everett Horton

Filmography Biography

Edward Everett Horton was one of the most successful, comic character actors in Hollywood. He appeared in 178 films! And often stole the show with his unique comic styles. I think he's hilarious and he livens up the dullest movies and makes them worth watching. A very talented man!

A few of his 1930s film that I've really enjoyed are:

The Merry Widow (1934) Directed by Ernst Lubitsch

Kiss and Make-Up (1934) a comedy with Cary Grant

The Front Page (1931) a classic!

Holiday (1938) a comedy with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edward Everett Horton.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	37776  

Sad to say the name means nothing to me but then I'm not big into comedies. Have seen Lost Horizon but multiple blue moons ago and I'll give a 30s filllum or two of his a watch to see how he goes down with me - certainly looks like there are plenty enough to choose from

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Is "Fractured Fairy Tales" only an American thing?

Also watch some Astaire-Rogers (The Gay Divorcee, Top Hat, Shall We Dance) films for the '30s gizmo.

Is "Fractured Fairy Tales" only an American thing?
I've certainly never heard of it but then I assume it's a tv production (?) in which case that would be hardly surprising as I'm not really much of a tv program person.

Fractured Fairy Tales from the Bullwinkle and Rocky show was my first recollection of Horton as well when I saw Citizen reviewing Kiss and Make Up and sealed the deal for me putting it on my watchlist.
Don't think I've caught any of his movies from the 30s except maybe Alice in Wonderland when i was a kid. I vaguely remember him as the Mad Hatter. And I have seen Angel when I went through a serious run of Dietrich movies a few years back.

Fractured Fairy Tales from the Bullwinkle and Rocky show was my first recollection of Horton as well when I saw Citizen reviewing Kiss and Make Up and sealed the deal for me putting it on my watchlist.
Don't think I've caught any of his movies from the 30s except maybe Alice in Wonderland when i was a kid. I vaguely remember him as the Mad Hatter. And I have seen Angel when I went through a serious run of Dietrich movies a few years back.
What I like about EEH besides his long fancy name is that he turns up in movies that I'm watching all the time. It'll be (is It'll even a word?) credits with a bunch of names that I don't know and then boom Edward Everett Horton. And I'll say oh Edward Everett Horton, unless my wife says it first. We always name out loud the actors we recognize...why? I don't know why, it's just fun I guess

we name them off too. Though I recognize alot much quicker, but she'll recognize someone from a decade or more ago far easier than I can.
ha, that's funny you guys do that too. She? Are you married? Just a friend? Or none of my business?

Room mate/best friend/partner in crime we get confused as married. I usually mention her as room mate to simplify things when I talk about her on the forums. She know 30s films that puts me to shame and she's the one that got us watching the pre-code films a number of years ago. Though it was a mutual love of Marlene Dietrich that got us binge watching her one time.

Room mate/best friend/partner in crime we get confused as married. I usually mention her as room mate to simplify things when I talk about her on the forums. She know 30s films that puts me to shame and she's the one that got us watching the pre-code films a number of years ago. Though it was a mutual love of Marlene Dietrich that got us binge watching her one time.
Oh, I thought your room mate was a guy. Don't know if you ever specified before, or more likely I just didn't see if you did. Anyway very cool she likes 30s films! and Marlene Dietrich too