Actors who've played roles with a different sexual orientation to theirs

Tools    

OK, that's all I can be bothered to do now because, frankly, it's not as much fun trying to remember all these people as it is gossiping about who's really gay and hasn't come out. That, and I want to post in some other threads before I have an early night and try to get rid of this ****** mood.

If you're really bothered or have some time to kill, here's a link to the wiki pages for such things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xual_people:_A
It's obvious that Gielgud and Jacobi were/are gay. However Gielgud could play straight (or at least, a neutral sexuality); Jacobi couldn't in Hamlet (I haven't seen him in anything else, except Richard II, where Richard may or may not have been gay).

You're forgetting Rupert Everett- one of the few prominently gay film actors (although he can play it straight and seemingly able to play a woman- one of my sister's friends thought the headmistress in St trinians was actually a woman).

That reminds me- did anyone watch that hilariously un-PC reality show TV series 'Playing it Straight'? A girl lives for a few weeks or so on a ranch with a gang of men, some of which are straight, some of which are gay, and she has to pick out which ones are gay. She identified this one poor man as being gay because he waxed his legs- and he was straight!
Guilty entertainment.

Older people always come off as straight, I think. It's because the closet hasn't been open long enough for too many famous old people to be clearly associated with being gay. Elderly-gay is just not associated with their image yet. For me it's much easier to imagine a younger, handsomer Ian McKellen as gay than the older Gandalf one.
I agree actually, older folks are generally just harder to figure out than young people. It's even harder to tell with women.

I heard that bloke from Will and Grace is actually straight though. The friend of the title characters. If that's true, that guy is a great actor as he does camp extremely well.

I think much of the gay identity today is woefully steeped in that sort of "camp". Their emergence in the public sphere is quite new, and I think that, even today, people still need some sort of positive identifier. Eventually, the gay identity will become synonymous with straight identity, much in the same way racial identity CAN be homogeneous. I consider a caricature like Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno to be analogous to '60s Black Power.

You're forgetting Rupert Everett- one of the few prominently gay film actors (although he can play it straight and seemingly able to play a woman- one of my sister's friends thought the headmistress in St trinians was actually a woman).
Although I didn't include Rupert Everett in that list, I had mentioned him a page or two back, as he was my second choice to play Bond.

I heard that bloke from Will and Grace is actually straight though. The friend of the title characters. If that's true, that guy is a great actor as he does camp extremely well.
I'm pretty sure the friend is gay, but the actor playing Will is straight.

I'm pretty sure the friend is gay, but the actor playing Will is straight.
I'm sure that's the way it is. I remember a gay actor (it may've been John Barrowman) being interviewed and he said that he'd been up for the role of "Will" but was turned down for "not being gay enough" (or words to that effect) and then he saw the show and they'd cast a straight guy.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I think much of the gay identity today is woefully steeped in that sort of "camp". Their emergence in the public sphere is quite new, and I think that, even today, people still need some sort of positive identifier. Eventually, the gay identity will become synonymous with straight identity, much in the same way racial identity CAN be homogeneous. I consider a caricature like Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno to be analogous to '60s Black Power.
thats a terrific point. I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm sure that's the way it is. I remember a gay actor (it may've been John Barrowman) being interviewed and he said that he'd been up for the role of "Will" but was turned down for "not being gay enough" (or words to that effect) and then he saw the show and they'd cast a straight guy.
I think it was John Barrowman, actually.

Although there's always rumours of closeted actors in Hollywood, though I'm not sure I believe all of them.

Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas in Philidelphia did a great job.
John Ritter in Sling Blade did an excellent job as Vaughan Cunningham.
And Sean Penn was very convincing Milk.

Don't you think that there are many actors, who have not come out, who play straight characters all the time?
I thought Hanks and Banderas were very convincing as a couple in Philadelphia...loved Penn in Milk too.

But Nathan Lane being a gay wouldn't really work out...
I don't understand why Nathan Lane wouldn't work out...his character in The Producers was straight. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal played lovers in Brokeback Mountain and I'm pretty sure they're both straight. Harry Hamlin played a gay character in the 1982 film Making Love and he has been happily married to Lisa Rinna forever.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tom Cruise has played straight men loads of times.

I don't understand why Nathan Lane wouldn't work out...his character in The Producers was straight. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal played lovers in Brokeback Mountain and I'm pretty sure they're both straight. Harry Hamlin played a gay character in the 1982 film Making Love and he has been happily married to Lisa Rinna forever.

Every major actor has played a gay character- some many times. Colin Firth has played three gay characters, two of which are openly gay, and two characters in which his only friend is gay and in love with him. I don't like Brokeback Mountain as I didn't buy into the chemistry between the guys. The 'action' was there but not the chemistry.

I agree completely with this post.

Its wholly unfortunate that in the land of the free and the home of the brave, there still are apparently millions of folks with hang-ups over what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home.

It's a total non-issue imo.
I agree regarding Sean Hayes' performance in Martin & Lewis...totally convincing.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I beat you to it dude

There is a film from Denmark called "En kort en lang" (English title: "Shake It") where Mads Mikkelsen plays a gay man. Most of his films are very "manly" but well "En kort en lang" is a great film.

Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club !