Actors who've played roles with a different sexual orientation to theirs

Tools    

It was verbal irony, but okay. I was hoping for some pat-on-the-back lulz, but okay.

~Loves a good classic movie~
If every person who is gay would come out of the closet, we would
be amazed at how many of them are people we were sure were straight.
From actors to politicians and from religious figures to sports figures.
Perhaps if all the closets were opened, homophobics were find that
many people who they adimire are gay and they might even change
their opinions. Anything kept in the dark is viewed with suspision.

Semper Fooey
Some of them would be right wing Bible thumping Rerpublicans. It seems every other year at least one more is exposed so there has to be many more out there.

Sorry yall, don't mean to derail your preconceptions about gender and sexuality, but there is no 0/1 binary code. 'Tis a spectrum like everything else in our universe. Our symbolic conceptions of gender and sexuality have nothing to do with the biological reality of sexual difference. What is masculine? What is feminine? These are all very ill defined and no ideal exists. We act only as failures of simulacra for these virtual forms when most of us are as diverse sexually as we are in eye color or height.

Semper Fooey
failures of simulacra
Another word for me to look up (but I won't as I doubt I'll ever see it again).

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
If anyone has a doubt, here is a helpful poem from grammy;

"When God made man, he made him out of string,
he had a little left, so he made a little thing.

When God made woman, he made her out of lace,
he didn't have enough, so he made a little space."

it works very well...just ask before you check....

Sorry yall, don't mean to derail your preconceptions about gender and sexuality, but there is no 0/1 binary code. 'Tis a spectrum like everything else in our universe. Our symbolic conceptions of gender and sexuality have nothing to do with the biological reality of sexual difference. What is masculine? What is feminine? These are all very ill defined and no ideal exists. We act only as failures of simulacra for these virtual forms when most of us are as diverse sexually as we are in eye color or height.

lolwut.

Seriously, why am I quoted beneath? Or did you shut me down, but I'm too stupid to realize . . .

Any more examples? (not of the poems, lol)

One of the ones that just popped into my mind is Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry. This was based on a true story and was brilliant portrayed by Swank.

You mean Nathan Lane?

I'd say a musical is probably a bad example, though. It dovetails with quite a few stereotypes. But Nathan Lane's a great actor who can play anything; gay, straight, or meerkat.

Gay, straight, or meerkat??

Ian McKellan is a homosexual and I think the majority of characters he has played have been straight and some quite badass (Magneto). I would never have guessed his sexual preference had I not read up on it. I think I saw him a few months ago too..well, not sure if it was him or John Hurt

Ian McKellan is a homosexual and I think the majority of characters he has played have been straight and some quite badass (Magneto). I would never have guessed his sexual preference had I not read up on it. I think I saw him a few months ago too..well, not sure if it was him or John Hurt
Older people always come off as straight, I think. It's because the closet hasn't been open long enough for too many famous old people to be clearly associated with being gay. Elderly-gay is just not associated with their image yet. For me it's much easier to imagine a younger, handsomer Ian McKellen as gay than the older Gandalf one.

Not all are still alive, but all are openly gay or (in the case of the deceased) are now known to be.

David Hyde Pierce
John Mahoney
Peri Gilpin
Dan Butler
Edward Hibbert (OK, the critic is incredibly camp, but is he openly gay in the programme? I don't think he is. BTW, is Frasier the 'gayest' tv show ever?)

David Ogden Stiers
Caeser Romero
Luke Macfarlane
Sir Ian McKellen
Sir John Gielgud
Dirk Bogarde
John Barrowman
Nigel Hawthorne
Raymond Burr
Rock Hudson
Derek Jacobi
Simon Callow (that's Callow. Now Cowell. Definately not Cowell. He's definately 100% straight. Absolutely. Don't get those two confussed. Cowell's not gay. Not gay at all.)

OK, that's all I can be bothered to do now because, frankly, it's not as much fun trying to remember all these people as it is gossiping about who's really gay and hasn't come out. That, and I want to post in some other threads before I have an early night and try to get rid of this ****** mood.

If you're really bothered or have some time to kill, here's a link to the wiki pages for such things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xual_people:_A

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't think all that much about an actor's sexuality while I'm watching the film. I mean, I care about whether the performance is believable but that's about it. I also don't want to "out" any actors, not that I can really do that, but Jodie Foster has mostly (only?) played straight characters although in her case, sometimes the character isn't overly interested in sex. I was thinking of Clarice in The Silence of the Lambs, but I always felt there was a physical attraction between her and Kasi Lemmons' character.

Sexuality is all I think about. I constantly watch and wonder to myself "what orientation are they?" Usually I get the same answer, but sometimes... oh, sometimes the inquiry is quite dynamic!