Actors who've played roles with a different sexual orientation to theirs

Tools    

What really matters is whether or not a straight person has the
talent to play a gay part, or a gay actor has the talent to play
a straight part. It's acting. I don't care what an actor's sexual
preference is. I'm a liberal who wants every American to enjoy
all the rights and privileges that comes with being a citizen here.
From working at their craft to marriage. If any actor can convince
me that they are the character they are playing, BRAVO! I don't
expect an actor who plays a serial killer to actully be one - or an
actor who plays a chef to actually be able to cook. Just make me
believe it.
Exactly a true actor is not afraid to step out of their boundaries and take on different types of roles. Actors that come to mind are Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr.,Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Hilary Swank just to name a few.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I watched I love you Phillip Morris the other day and Jim Carrey and Ewan Mcgregor made a fantastic couple!

What about the movie Birdcage with Nathan Lane who is homosexual and also Robin Williams who did a wonderful job portraying a homosexual? What a funny movie.

Rupert Everett is gay... and, if I remember correctly, has played both gay and straight pretty convincingly...
It's too late now, really, but Rupert Everett was my second choice for Bond before they gave the role to Pierce Brosnan. Being gay, I completely understand why he wasn't given the role (you can hear the kerfuffle now, can't you? Can you see the world going to see Gaymes Bond? As I'm sure he'd have been called.)

But then, I'm not a Bond fan and my #1 choice was Denzel Washington, who I thought would've made a brilliant Bond, so I was destined to be disapointed. Films would be so much better in my world.

It's too late now, really, but Rupert Everett was my second choice for Bond before they gave the role to Pierce Brosnan. Being gay, I completely understand why he wasn't given the role (you can hear the kerfuffle now, can't you? Can you see the world going to see Gaymes Bond? As I'm sure he'd have been called.)

But then, I'm not a Bond fan and my #1 choice was Denzel Washington, who I thought would've made a brilliant Bond, so I was destined to be disapointed. Films would be so much better in my world.
I think Rupert Everett is a great actor and he stole the show in My Best Friends Wedding. I wish there wasn't red tape about the if the person is given a script to audition and they meet the physical looks and age of the person they will be portraying I think they should have every right to land the role then the next person, gay or not gay. If you nail the audition then you should be looked at seriously for the part.

Semper Fooey
Raymond Burr was a secret gay so the big question, was Perry Mason doing Della Street? became after the secret was out: Nope, he's doing Paul Drake (the actor playing him was also gay).

What I don't understand is it seems like in the Motion Picture Industry actors/actresses seem to try to hide their sexuality more then the openess of those Stage Actors. it must be really difficult for these actors/actresses to have to keep their real selves inside just because the way others would perceive them. It is a shame that even in times like today that we go through this sort of **** everyday .

Also Anne Heche which she was once a Lesbian and then now she is straight. I don't know what catagory she would fall into.

Also Anne Heche which she was once a Lesbian and then now she is straight. I don't know what catagory she would fall into.
There are a lot of ways to categorize Anne Heche - crazy, confused, psychotic - but lesbian isn't one of them.

As to the original question, I'll agree with Yoda in that it won't ever really be answered because the most convincing gay-playing-straight actors are the ones who never let on that they're gay in the first place.

What I don't understand is it seems like in the Motion Picture Industry actors/actresses seem to try to hide their sexuality more then the openess of those Stage Actors. it must be really difficult for these actors/actresses to have to keep their real selves inside just because the way others would perceive them. It is a shame that even in times like today that we go through this sort of **** everyday .
One of the sad truths is that there's more pressure to stay in the closet from other closeted gays in Hollywood, than there is in the theatre. Obviously there's other factors (geography, history, demographics, money, etc) but this is something that many people don't seem think about or know.

One of the sad truths is that there's more pressure to stay in the closet from other closeted gays in Hollywood, than there is in the theatre. Obviously there's other factors (geography, history, demographics, money, etc) but this is something that many people don't seem think about or know.
It is very sad. If Ellen page was a Lesbian would that change how I think about her as a person. No way!!!! It is her personality and charisma that has drawn me to her as an actress. If we were both in the business I could see us really hanging out together and having fun even though I am several years younger than her.

It is very sad. If Ellen page was a Lesbian would that change how I think about her as a person. No way!!!!
Well that's good, because I've actually heard a lot of speculation that she is a lesbian. Not that I care one way or the other, just saying.

I think whether or not a gay actor chooses to come out of closet has a lot to do with what type of actor they are. I think for those who are "Movie Stars"/sex symbols, there may be a lot more pressure to stay closeted so as not to disappoint their admirers.

Well that's good, because I've actually heard a lot of speculation that she is a lesbian. Not that I care one way or the other, just saying.
These will have something to do with that, MV.

Ellen and Drew hung out a lot during the filming of Whip It! Also, Ellen's not the stereotypical glamorous sex kitten type of young woman and they're often rumoured to be lesbians. Now, whether she is or not, I don't know. But that it's rumoured is the least surprising news I've heard all year.

For me, that article is just stupid. It's about the ability of the actor, not whether they're gay or straight.

And as for Jonathan Groff- his character is supposed to be a bit camp in Glee. The character is told to seduce Rachel- there's nothing to suggest an actual attraction. Besides, I thought he was really convincing as a straight guy in Spring Awakening.

In the theatre, they sometimes even have women playing men and men playing women and you can be convinced. Fiona Shaw did a very good job of playing Richard II. There's a little more freedom in the theatre, it seems- roles are roles. Sometimes there's a requirement that narrows who should play them, but you can often experiment.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
It is very sad. If Ellen page was a Lesbian would that change how I think about her as a person. No way!!!! It is her personality and charisma that has drawn me to her as an actress. If we were both in the business I could see us really hanging out together and having fun even though I am several years younger than her.
Well lesbians have become accepted. Homosexuals are only allowed in the mainstream if they act light in the loafers, ala andy dick.

maybe your generation juno, will break down the final taboo barrier.

I'll try to be very careful with my words here! I may be called homophobic

It is sad that actors in this day & age have to hide their sexuality, though, this no different than most societies we/members live in. By no means am I suggesting this is okay, all I'm saying is, when society becomes far more accepting (theatre goers) than you will see far more actors come out of the closet.

Only straight people should be allowed to act. Sexuality is binary, and there is only one correct answer. Everything else is a perversion and a sin/crime against God/nature.

I think good trolling is when you sound semi-serious so people are little bit unsure about whether or not you are serious.

This thread is a troll IMO. It gives too much respect to the "other" side. Why even try to participate in their discourse?

The thread isn't trollish in the least, and the degree to which it seems like it is the degree to which people have stopped talking about the actual claims being made, and the inherent challenges of acting, and started talking about much broader social issues instead. Based on some of the replies, I'm not even sure that most people even read the link, so much as gleaned some of the general themes from the responses.

And if you don't want to participate in the discussion...well heck, don't. But don't say something outrageous just for the hell of it, man.