Which actors have the tendency to overact or ham it up?

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Willem knows when to play it up and when not to. I don’t think it’s a tendency with him.

Someone who wasn't in on the joke, at least to me, is Richard Dreyfus; even though he was in so many movies I enjoyed: Jaws , Close Encounters , Goodbye Girl. It never ruined the movies for me, but when he started yanking the pantyhose off the rack in Goodbye Girl I wanted to ask
if he 'd like those cold cuts of his with Swiss and mustard on rye.

Mmm, I may have to disagree with you, there. I think Dreyfuss did exactly what was required of the writing in that scene. If he had played into the joke, it'd be just more of what we get in movies today. His manic passion and over delivery is what made him shine in films like this, written by very eloquent and super charged writers, Neil Simon (RIP), etc.

That is why I believe films from the 70's and even some from the 80's have more staying power. The choices we had for writers and actors seemed more professional, and took many chances, and did the work to a T. I think if you compare a lot of the zany acting from now you will see how the digital realm has robbed a lot of commitment, what with all of the options and abilities to burn through 1's and 0's without accruing any print or processing costs in post.

With Branagh it seems to me more a lack of oomph, of energy. I said recently elsewhere on the forum that I found him unwatchable in the British Wallander. People raved about him in Macbeth as well and when I saw a clip I'd never found the term "a damp squib" more appropriate.
It's funny that after I said this I saw a bit of the episode Faceless Killers and reconfirmed my indifference . I always get the sense of a cast going through the motions, like they have a barrier up to fully embracing the material. The only person I liked – really liked actually – was Sarah Smart, who I think fits Ann-Britt Höglund very well.

The big difference when you see either of the Swedish versions is how effortlessly the cast exist in their roles. You feel like you're watching people, not actors saying lines from a script.

This might just do nobody any good.
His Poirot is a pretty good example of that lack of oomph. Externally he’s all flamboyancy but nothing about his performance gives it any life at all. He’s a mustache, attached to the veneer of a character.

The film itself shares this flaw.

I still love his Henry V and Hamlet though.

His Poirot is a pretty good example of that lack of oomph. Externally he’s all flamboyancy but nothing about his performance gives it any life at all. He’s a mustache, attached to the veneer of a character.

The film itself shares this flaw.

I still love his Henry V and Hamlet though.
He'd have to go some way to surpass David Suchet – or Peter Ustinov for that matter.

He looks okay in Henry V – I saw a scene around a year ago and I liked his steeliness. Maybe there's something about Shakespeare that he feels more at home with, in a weird way, than contemporary language.

I think it was Paul McGann I was watching once where he said that Kenneth Branagh was at RADA at the same time; Branagh has said that he always wanted to be in movies, rather than on stage, so his ultimately being touted as the new Olivier, with this emphasis on Shakespeare must have been a surprise to all of them .

Make a better place
Oscar Issac - tries too hard and has a lack of charisma.

I don't know if he tries to hard, but definitely he has a lack of charisma I totally agree on that one

Sean Penn came to mind almost immediately.

Totally disagree with one...Penn is a great actor...I recently re-watched I Am Sam for like the 3rd or 4th time and his performance still had me weeping.