Oscars Add New Category for Popular Film

Tools    

I can see having a Best Big Budget and Best Low Budget award- obviously you'd have to decide big and small, but that would acknowledge the separate skills of being able to make a solid blockbuster and of creating a quality piece of art on a tiny budget.
I can kind of see that, but at a certain point it just feels like these are akin to "participation" awards. Let's make everybody winners!

The Oscars are ridiculous enough without adding superfluous categories.

This is already being called "The Black Panther Category," so if it wins, expect to hear that a lot more.

The lame thing is, if it's a cynical ploy in part to boost viewership by giving Black Panther an Oscar...I actually do think it'll work, at least this time.

Black Panther will win the new category. I am calling it now.
I thought the new category wasn’t coming in until 2020?

Considering the backlash, anyone think Oscars will revoke this decision?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Remember that stupid, boring movie by the Cohen Brothers that won? It had a dumb title. This Is Not Your Country, Man or something like that? The Academy called it their "best" picture. Ha! It was only the 36th highest grossing movie that year! Nobody even saw it! Here are some of the movies that made more money, and therefore are clearly much better: Evan Almighty, Norbit, Ghost Rider, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Wild Hogs! The Oscar clearly should have gone to Spider-Man 3, since it made the mostest money.

Thank you, Oscar, for finally fixing this bullsh!t!

I feel ya man!