A thread for campy or intentionally bad films

Tools    

Duplicate Account (locked)
Long story short, thanks killing is great Dawn of the Dead (1978) also scores pretty well in my book, the zombies were such horrible actors.

Comedies also work, we don't need to just talk about horror movies...I saw this movie a while back called "The Seniors" (1978), and i thought it was quite terrible and hilarious.

Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

ThanksKilling is some of the hardest I've laughed in years. Such sheer stupidity

ThanksKilling is some of the hardest I've laughed in years. Such sheer stupidity
it was not boring at all either like some of these kinds of movies can be...probably best use of "the awkward guy" trope ever, and the turkey himself was amazing. The intro scene is just "wtf?".

it was not boring at all either like some of these kinds of movies can be...probably best use of "the awkward guy" trope ever, and the turkey himself was amazing. The intro scene is just "wtf?".
The scene that killed me was...

WARNING: spoilers below

...the turkey dressing up as the guy, with the plastic moustache and glasses; and the kids not noticing it so stupid and yet I was almost ROTFL

I think that "intentionally bad" is a pretty tough thing to pull off. Most of these kinds of films fall into smarmy parody that is too self-aware to have the same charm as the truly unconsciously inept work of our finest bad cinema. Ed Wood thought he was Orson Welles, Tommy Wiseau thought he was Scorsese, the director of Troll 2 was sincerely offended when invited to a screening of his film at a worst film ever festival. It takes a certain amount of blind and brutal gumption to make a transcendently awful motion picture that will reward with years of god-shaming pleasure. The kind of film that makes a witness out of you.

As for camp, I don't think that any of my favorites would qualify as "intentionally bad" even if they challenge the expectations of good taste. Pink Flamingos definitely qualifies here, which is not terrible despite threating to be the worst film of all time for most of its run time. It makes a virtue of its cheapness, in both budget and brow.

There's some films that are favorities of mine that put some people off when they see them on my shelf. But their ignorant prejudices will only deprive them of the subtle joys of schlock. Terrorvision, at 0% tomatometer, is probably my lowest-rated favorite. Tales of the Crypt: Demon Knight is exactly the kind of unloved film that people snicker while passing it by, but it's a quiet masterpiece of unearned thrills. Rubber is neither intentionally bad nor parody, but is the kind of film considered terrible by educated numbskulls threatened by their own mortal lack of comprehension. And these only account for relatively mainstream fare. I leave the entire subgenre of shaggy yeti films to other, more resilient, posters on this site who are even more dedicated than I to exhuming the rich and fecund compost of countless hapless savants of feeble means. Intentionally bad? No. Sincerity is the best accelerant of the brightest bombs.

I think that "intentionally bad" is a pretty tough thing to pull off. Most of these kinds of films fall into smarmy parody that is too self-aware to have the same charm as the truly unconsciously inept work of our finest bad cinema. Ed Wood thought he was Orson Welles, Tommy Wiseau thought he was Scorsese, the director of Troll 2 was sincerely offended when invited to a screening of his film at a worst film ever festival. It takes a certain amount of blind and brutal gumption to make a transcendently awful motion picture that will reward with years of god-shaming pleasure. The kind of film that makes a witness out of you.

As for camp, I don't think that any of my favorites would qualify as "intentionally bad" even if they challenge the expectations of good taste. Pink Flamingos definitely qualifies here, which is not terrible despite threating to be the worst film of all time for most of its run time. It makes a virtue of its cheapness, in both budget and brow.

There's some films that are favorities of mine that put some people off when they see them on my shelf. But their ignorant prejudices will only deprive them of the subtle joys of schlock. Terrorvision, at 0% tomatometer, is probably my lowest-rated favorite. Tales of the Crypt: Demon Knight is exactly the kind of unloved film that people snicker while passing it by, but it's a quiet masterpiece of unearned thrills. Rubber is neither intentionally bad nor parody, but is the kind of film considered terrible by educated numbskulls threatened by their own mortal lack of comprehension. And these only account for relatively mainstream fare. I leave the entire subgenre of shaggy yeti films to other, more resilient, posters on this site who are even more dedicated than I to exhuming the rich and fecund compost of countless hapless savants of feeble means. Intentionally bad? No. Sincerity is the best accelerant of the brightest bombs.

i was just trying to go broad as possible with the thread title, but perhaps i could have said "films that are so bad that they are good", just to be more specific...but i am convinced that both thankskilling and poultrygeist were made with the thought..."lets just make a hilarious piece of sh*t!"

I think that "intentionally bad" is a pretty tough thing to pull off. Most of these kinds of films fall into smarmy parody that is too self-aware to have the same charm as the truly unconsciously inept work of our finest bad cinema.

Well, it is not just that, but that a joke requires a butt. When everyone is in on the joke, who are we making fun of? It would be like going to a restaurant which made intentionally bad food. Why would you pay for that? The best intentionally bad film would be one that convinces us (in the real world) that it had every intention of being sincere.

Tales of the Crypt: Demon Knight is exactly the kind of unloved film that people snicker while passing it by, but it's a quiet masterpiece of unearned thrills.

True.

No. Sincerity is the best accelerant of the brightest bombs.

Quotable.

Ya'll are forgetting about the fact that "bad" is multiple dimensional, unlike "objective"

EDIT: I was just directing this at the philosophical conversation here...please keep talking, but I'm not intending this to be a quality oriented discussion...in this thread: bad is good, black is white, peace is war.

Ya'll are forgetting about the fact that "bad" is multiple dimensional, unlike "objective"

Objectivity can also admit of various dimensions. Below, for example, is an orthogonal image of an aircraft

These are all "objective" images of the plane, but presents from different angles. They're all objectively true, but no single image really captures the full dimensionality of the plane. Statistically, we can reach for different measures of central tendency, different sample parameters, all of which provide "objective" data, but "objective" stats depend greatly on how they are framed.

And sometimes it comes from the 8th.

Spike = Perfect Johnny. Buffyverse and Banzaiverse crossover confirmed.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Kitty_City recommended I watch Black Sheep (2006) a couple of years ago. Yeah, I bought it.

Also, Mom and Dad Save the World is an excellent movie, IMHO.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear