Movies ruined by sequels

Tools    

There were alot of great movies out there ruined by sequels here are some I can think of, how about you?

Jurassic Park
- First one was excellent, second was okay, third was terrible.
The Matrix- thought the first one was excellent, the sequels were terrible.
Star Wars- enjoyed the first 3, the fourth was okay, but the fifth wasn't amazing.
Dumb and Dumber- was a great movie but Dumb and Dumberer was one of the worst movies I have ever seen

Originally Posted by James_Bond
There were alot of great movies out there ruined by sequels here are some I can think of, how about you?

Jurassic Park
- First one was excellent, second was okay, third was terrible.
The Matrix- thought the first one was excellent, the sequels were terrible.
Star Wars- enjoyed the first 3, the fourth was okay, but the fifth wasn't amazing.
Dumb and Dumber- was a great movie but Dumb and Dumberer was one of the worst movies I have ever seen
The Alien Series (3 and 4) and "A Nightmare On Elm st." (anything after 1)

Don't tell Robin I'm here!!
Great movies are never ruined by lackluster sequels. How do the "Jurassic Park" sequels ruin the original? You said it yourself, the original was excellent, and the first Matrix was excellent, and the first "Dumb and Dumber" was excellent, so I don't think sequels tarnish the originals in any way. Sure, there are hundreds, possibly thousands of crappy-ass sequels out there, but in my opinion, sequels NEVER ruin their predecessors.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by gothamboy
Great movies are never ruined by lackluster sequels. How do the "Jurassic Park" sequels ruin the original? You said it yourself, the original was excellent, and the first Matrix was excellent, and the first "Dumb and Dumber" was excellent, so I don't think sequels tarnish the originals in any way. Sure, there are hundreds, possibly thousands of crappy-ass sequels out there, but in my opinion, sequels NEVER ruin their predecessors.

I think it does in the way that when a good movie is sequel-less, yet has loose ends, you tend of think what will happend, what is plausible. Thats what I did for the huge gap between matrix and matrix reloaded, I was getting restless so I had my own theories about how neo was gonna save the world. Therefore when there is a bad sequel your mind just relates it back to the first movie and vice-versa , hence sequel haha.

This is what happened to me, from a personal perspective everytime I see the matrix anywhere I get reminded of how horriable reloaded and revloutions was, then I couldn't really enjoy the movie knowing how bad the ending is. Whoever said " all is well that ends well" knew something about movies.

I don't want to be a pain in the anus, but I'd almost bet my PS2 that there is already a thread like this. And it's pretty well posted on. I shall come back to give you a link if I find it.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Sorry, I was thinking of the thread, Downhill Spiral Trilogies.

The Godfather Part III bored me to tears, but the first two are some of the best films ever made.

The Matrix Reloaded wasn't a complete failure, though. Only the parts with long-winded speeches were boring and terrible (which was 65% of the movie). But a complete, 100% failure? Nah.

There is one particular sequal that sticks out in my mind. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. Hurl.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
Ghostbusters still ranks as potentially one of the greatest movies ever. . . but the sequel just doesn't have the same magic to it.

Also, I love Die Hard! I love it!! But I can't stand to watch the other two. So, I prefer to believe that they don't exist.

I also pretend Mortal Kombat Annihalation doesn't exist and that someone is eventually going to make a decent sequel to Mortal Kombat.

I don't think anyone acknowledges the existance of Highlander 2 (even later sequel in the Highlander series which contradict it).

The Matrix s..ooo dumb. And the sequel to Shahai Nights.

Originally Posted by Jukai
There is one particular sequal that sticks out in my mind. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. Hurl.

"Stop it your scaring me mr." haha god that movie sucked

Sorry Star Wars fan here!Anyway Jessice Park is one of them and Alaldin and
Lion King(Give it up!) and The Land before time and let's see one more I can't think off it right away!
See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

[quote=kaisersoze]I think it does in the way that when a good movie is sequel-less, yet has loose ends, you tend of think what will happend, what is plausible.QUOTE]

Okay, that's a good point, that might be the only time that a sequel can ever tarnish the original, and even then, it should only be a little bit. The fact that 'Matrix Reloaded' didn't live it up to expectations shouldn't really make you like the original 'Matrix' any less. Sure, it takes away from the trilogy as a whole, but I'll never NOT watch 'The Matrix' because of 'Reloaded', and it'll still rank as one of the greatest sci-fi films of all-time, and it'll still be known as the film that redefined the entire CGI/special effects universe. I'd say for every good sequel there's 4 or 5 crappy ones, but that should just make us appreciate the good ones even more. Indiana Jones, Jaws, Godfather, National Lampoon's Vacation's, the Die Hard's, Scream, etc, etc..... There are some pretty good sequels out there, and we'll always have more to look forward to, lol. It seems like half the movies that come out nowadays have sequels planned before the first ones even hit theaters. Cases in point: Pirates of the Caribbean, Matrix, and X-Men.

What? Did I misunderstand or do you consider the Jaws sequels good sequels? Jaws is my favorite movie of all time and in my opinion one of the best movies ever. Jaws 2 was horrible, Jaws 3 was worse and there isn't a word to describe the suckiness of Jaws 4. I mean really...I'd be hard pressed to name too many movies that were worse than Jaws 3 and 4. I believe that you only need one hand to count up all the good sequels. The Godfather II, Aliens, Terminator 2, Lord of the Rings sequels (I know it's one story, but it's still broken up into different movies), Die Hard sequels, Indiana Jones sequels, Toy Story 2 and that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there are more and I needed more than one hand to count the ones I mentioned, but my point is that considering all the sequels that have been made, only a very small percentage have been worthwhile.

wowowo wait a second jaws is your favourite film of all time?

Originally Posted by whoopdido
What? Did I misunderstand or do you consider the Jaws sequels good sequels?
Nope, you didn't misunderstand me at all. Well, maybe a little bit. I really, really liked "Jaws 2", I wouldn't say "loved". I liked "Jaws 3", but I don't know if I "really" liked it. I almost fully agree with you about "Jaws 4". 4 was by FAR the worst of the group, and it doesn't even compare to the other three, but I didn't think 2 and 3 were as bad as you did. I didn't mind 'em at all. Plus, Lea Thompson was VERY cute in "Jaws 3".

Yep Alex, Jaws is my favorite movie of all time. There have probably been better made films, but Jaws is probably the only movie I can watch over and over and over and am always entertained. Maybe I bashed Jaws 2 a little too much. Personally I don't like it very much and don't think it can hold a candle to the first one, but without a doubt it's better than the other sequels. It looks like we both agree on Jaws 4 though, so that's good.

Concerning the JAWS matter, here are my ratings of all of them.

JAWS: 9.0

JAWS 2: 6.8

JAWS 3: 4.0

JAWS 4: 2.0

jaws, TCM, is all I can think of right now

hmmmmm..bad sequels. caddyshack 2, star trek 3, star trek 5, and the one that bugs me the most is the original theatrical release of highlander 2. another planet? puhleeze!

My life isn't written very well.
I'm not sure what you mean either; "movies ruined by sequels", but what I think you mean is that the original was good, however the continuation of the story via sequels did nothing to enhance or further the storyline of the original. Based on that assumption, I'd have to say Exorcist 2. It really had nothing to do with the original, and the feeble attempt to make a franchise out of the name was obvious. Exorcist 3 wasn't bad, but not as chilling as the first. Exorcist 4 sounds like a good idea, but based upon the production delays and internal complications, it might prove to be an exercise to regain money soley based upon the name, i.e. bad.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?