The Wire, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad?

Tools    

The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad?
28.00%
7 votes
The Wire
36.00%
9 votes
The Sopranos
36.00%
9 votes
Breaking Bad
25 votes. You may not vote on this poll

For some reason, this show never interested me, so I've never watched it. I'm not a fan of political humor in most any form, and since I lean probably a lot further right than anyone associated with Veep, I gave it a pass.
I don’t think of it as political humor, per se. It’s about a bunch of very selfish egoists all trying desperately to get to the top of the heap. Having said this, maybe it is political humor.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I don’t think of it as political humor, per se. It’s about a bunch of very selfish egoists all trying desperately to get to the top of the heap. Having said this, maybe it is political humor.
Then maybe I'll give it a watch. I tend to get easily annoyed at political jabs (because they're usually cheap shots, from either side), so I assumed a show like this would be loaded with them.

Then maybe I'll give it a watch. I tend to get easily annoyed at political jabs (because they're usually cheap shots, from either side), so I assumed a show like this would be loaded with them.
We don’t know which side of the aisle these people are. Probably Democrat, but it doesn’t matter. I don’t recall any kind of political jab.

Serena (the Veep) cares only about herself. She cares not one whit about the country in her scramble to the White House. It’s very black humor, which I think is hilarious, but if you don’t skew that way you won’t like the humor. (The show is based on British shows, which are also hilarious, but I think Veep is funnier.)

Veep was brilliant...I watched it from pilot to finale twice...there aren't a lot of shows I can say that about.

Veep was brilliant...I watched it from pilot to finale twice...there aren't a lot of shows I can say that about.
Same. I actually watched each episode twice before I moved on to the next episode.

Duplicate Account (locked)
For some reason, this show never interested me, so I've never watched it. I'm not a fan of political humor in most any form, and since I lean probably a lot further right than anyone associated with Veep, I gave it a pass.
Are you a nationalist? I'm curious why someone would admit they are kinda far to the right on a forum where there are lot's of left-wingers.

I'm pretty strictly an anarchist, which basically makes everyone here my sworn political enemy.

Are you a nationalist? I'm curious why someone would admit they are kinda far to the right on a forum where there are lot's of left-wingers.

I'm pretty strictly an anarchist, which basically makes everyone here my sworn political enemy.

You make it sound like I'm admitting I'm a serial killer. Is it something I should be ashamed of? I don't think so. I'm just a boring conservative with strong libertarian leanings on various topics. But I hate putting labels on myself because I come to my beliefs on each issue individually.

Also, I'm not a nationalist. I don't have any desire to live in any other country but this one, but hey, half of that could simply be laziness.

The Wire, by a mile.

I watched the first Season of The Sopranos, and it was fine, and I should probably eventually watch the rest. But I haven't been in love with what I've seen so far.

Breaking Bad is a lot of fun. And has some things to say. And created a lot of good characters (of which Skyler is definitely one). It's a show that deserves to be loved. And I did love it while it was on. But I haven't thought about it once since it ended because it turns out it didn't actually matter that much to me.

Mad Men is probably the only other long form show like these that I think even competes with The Wire. But still, probably not even close. The Wire had the power to make even me fall in love with the notion of narrative, and narrative has long been my sworn enemy. I can't stress how much of a revelation that is when you gave up on such a thing ever being interesting again.

The Wire, by a mile.

I watched the first Season of The Sopranos, and it was fine, and I should probably eventually watch the rest. But I haven't been in love with what I've seen so far.

Breaking Bad is a lot of fun. And has some things to say. And created a lot of good characters (of which Skyler is definitely one). It's a show that deserves to be loved. And I did love it while it was on. But I haven't thought about it once since it ended because it turns out it didn't actually matter that much to me.

Mad Men is probably the only other long form show like these that I think even competes with The Wire. But still, probably not even close. The Wire had the power to make even me fall in love with the notion of narrative, and narrative has long been my sworn enemy. I can't stress how much of a revelation that is when you gave up on such a thing ever being interesting again.
Yeah, to me Breaking Bad and the The Wire are a clear tie. The Sopranos was the inspiration for both of those shows. The most obvious evidence is meado smoking crystal meth in the first season (1999).

We don’t know which side of the aisle these people are. Probably Democrat, but it doesn’t matter. I don’t recall any kind of political jab.

Serena (the Veep) cares only about herself. She cares not one whit about the country in her scramble to the White House. It’s very black humor, which I think is hilarious, but if you don’t skew that way you won’t like the humor. (The show is based on British shows, which are also hilarious, but I think Veep is funnier.)
Am watching now. Three episodes in. VERY funny. Thanks for the double-nudge.

Yeah, to me Breaking Bad and the The Wire are a clear tie. The Sopranos was the inspiration for both of those shows. The most obvious evidence is meado smoking crystal meth in the first season (1999).

Soprano's supplied the template for legitimately thoughtful, novelistic story telling in television. And due to not having the same time restrictions of movies, it could really spend its time revealing character and story revelations. The content of what was in the show is almost irrelevant to its influence. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lost, whatever some might want to think of those shows, were similar in laying the groundwork for stuff like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Wire. And because of this, Sopranos' is undeniably a game changer.

I just wasn't in love with that first season though.

You make it sound like I'm admitting I'm a serial killer. Is it something I should be ashamed of? I don't think so. I'm just a boring conservative with strong libertarian leanings on various topics. But I hate putting labels on myself because I come to my beliefs on each issue individually.

Also, I'm not a nationalist. I don't have any desire to live in any other country but this one, but hey, half of that could simply be laziness.

Nope, not at all, was just curious about what you meant. I'm pretty extreme in terms of open-mndedness, i don't condemn anybody for whatever opinion they have.

Now, if you stepped on my toes, that's a whole other matter

Now, if you stepped on my toes, that's a whole other matter
As Mel Brooks said, Tragedy is if I cut my finger. Comedy is if you walk into an open sewer and die.

Am watching now. Three episodes in. VERY funny. Thanks for the double-nudge.
You’re welcome.

My fave thing is that each of the predominant characters has his/her own shtick. Sue is curt & unfriendly, there’s the know-it-all guy, Jonah is absurdly Jonah, one guy is a sex maniac (he is so gorgeous), Selina’s manservant is hilarious & on it goes.

A black male character is added later on (Richard) & he is hilariously incompetent. He’s supposed to be a political aide, but turns out one of his degrees is in veterinary medicine.

I love how, at least once in every episode so far, she goes by the desk and asks if the president called. "No." No other commentary needed.

I love how, at least once in every episode so far, she goes by the desk and asks if the president called. "No." No other commentary needed.
Exactly. Succinctly hilarious.

Exactly. Succinctly hilarious.
I'm kinda curious if we ever get to see the actual president.

Well, we should let this get back to the original topic. I definitely AM going to do a Sopranos rewatch again soon.

I'm kinda curious if we ever get to see the actual president.

Well, we should let this get back to the original topic. I definitely AM going to do a Sopranos rewatch again soon.

I've already been doing it, you might want to put on the subtitles or find them, a lot of the humor and political intrigue is revealed through the wierd urban terminology.

Hasidim but i don't believe em'!