Star Wars: Rogue One (the first Star Wars Spin-off)

→ in
Tools    

What they are saying is Abrams specifically said the books are not considered canon. This way he has avoided having to worry about Zahns and Anderson's novels which took place directly after Jedi.
True

Yeah they've said Abrams will be on call for pointers and to discuss the next two installments with Johnson and Trevorrow, so I assume he'll have input into the next two movies even if he isn't behind the camera. He'll most certainly be getting "Producer" credits.

The books aren't canon, so they won't need to follow them for continuity.
This was what they're doing with Ep7+ as well, so whatever has been written in those books is now null and void.

This was also why they released a set of new books that take place between Eps 6 and 7.
I understand the official way of looking at it. The books are essentially spin-offs. But I see that as a weak excuse for mapping over previously charted territory. So far the expanded universe and the movies have been in about as perfect harmony as you could ever want in such a grand scale of fictional works. But now they're just going to essentially split the space-time continuum in the Star Wars universe and have two completely different conflicting timelines, because they ARE going to make more expanded universe material in line with the new timeline.

It's kinda like what happened with Mandalorians. They started as an inspiration from Boba Fett, and from there developed a back story, and then along came Bio-ware and added a bunch of really rubbish new content that ruined the way a lot of people portrayed themselves as Mandalorians in fan fiction, roleplaying, and video games.

It's because the industry really doesn't care. And I don't support that. I support the older canon over newer canon. So they can overwrite and re-write whatever they want. It doesn't interest me because to me it is just plain lazy and disrespectful, and 9 times out of 10 the older canon is more interesting anyway because they had more passion about what they were doing.

That's just the way I like to look at it, because that's more interesting to me. If you want to follow what the industry tells you is "official canon," you go right ahead.

But what's the point in reading those books about Luke Skywalker's kids, and Solo and Leia's kids... when they don't exist now?
They may be interesting stories... but it's like reading fan-fiction. They have no basis in the official story.

A friend of mine used to write his own Batman stories and they were pretty good tbh. If you're going to treat the Star Wars fan-fictions as canon, may as well treat my friend's Batman books as canon too.

Well, if they do it certainly won't be the same stories as in the books

No spoilers though please, I've avoided the Ep7 thread for about 2 weeks now. I don't want to know any more about it until I see it.

But what's the point in reading those books about Luke Skywalker's kids, and Solo and Leia's kids... when they don't exist now?
They may be interesting stories... but it's like reading fan-fiction. They have no basis in the official story.
Well they were based in the official story until a corporation decided to change it arbitrarily, and that's what I don't like.

A friend of mine used to write his own Batman stories and they were pretty good tbh. If you're going to treat the Star Wars fan-fictions as canon, may as well treat my friend's Batman books as canon too.
I don't treat fan-fiction as canon. You missunderstood me. I'm talking about the way the EU influenced things like fan-fiction. So now the community is going to be divided. A majority will conform to the newer standards no matter what they are, and only a small minority will stay devoted to what they feel was better source material to begin with.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Lego just premiered Rogue One sets at the Nuremberg Toy Fair. Included in the offerings, a ship that strongly resembles

WARNING: spoilers below
the Slave 1.

Makes sense. Cram all the iconic characters you can in this. I'm already jumping on the crazy train to Disappointedville.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Master of My Domain
Dunno, I have mixed feelings about it. Except for some cool shots, everything else feels mediocre. But I still have very high hopes, since this is just a mere short teaser.

A system of cells interlinked

That looks TOUGH! Rogue One if done like presented should be the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. After Empire everything kind of dipped a little.

I have to return some videotapes...
Yeah I loved this trailer and it looks like it has the Star Wars tone, but a little edgier and I think that's a good thing because Force Awakens didn't have it and look how that turned out. I want Star Wars to treat us like were not five year old children and give me a little bit of grit, that's what this trailer delivered for me.

In the Beginning...
Looks great.

So I know there's a rumor that Vader is going to appear in the film, but judging from the shot below, I assume we're going to see the Emperor, as well? (Those are Imperial guards, eh wot.) Interesting that neither James Earl Jones nor Ian McDiarmid are listed in the cast... yet.

For the first time ever I actually feel like strong female leads are becoming a cliche. Rogue One doesn't look like it's going to be as bad as I thought it would be though. If it's at least on par with The Force Awakens then I'll probably enjoy it overall.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Looks good, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Big test for Disney this, cant afford to drop the ball first spinoff out.