Star Wars Episode 3

→ in
Tools    

Ok, i'm going to give my score first and then explain it.

Star Wars Epidode 3: Revenge of the Sith
5/10

Early note, i don't really understand the Star Wars political story, so the lack of plot i found in the early hours maybe due to this.

Basically, i appreciate what Lucas has done, and it does improve on aspects of Ep 1 & 2, and yes, the film is stunning to look at it- but that's about it.

The film begins with a huge space-fight. Ok, looks good, lots of ships, lots of action, though this sequence is set up only by the conventional introduction, which kinda left me to fill in the spaces, although i don't mind being active while watching a film, it did seem rather lazy and eager to show all it's cards in the opening moments. Anakin and Obi Wan are leading a rescue of Palpatine, this brings me to a question- why can't Hayden Christenson act? Lol, no. Why has Palpatine been captured? Maybe someone can answer me this. Perhaps it because the captures know only of him as a Sith Lord leader or it was to do with Anakin, but it's not explained. And the sequence is empty, i wasn't comfortable enough with the characters to care and the outcome was inevitable anyway.

And as i already mentioned it, the acting. It sucked. Anakin spends the whole film pouting like an angry teenager, hardly the solid Darth Vader. Sam Jackson (Mace Windu) got better after a shaky start and his showdown was possibly my favourite moment of the film. And not technically acting but Yoda, he was safe when he was a puppet, why couldn't he remain a puppet? Personally, its hard to emphasise with a green bit of cgi, Frank Oz also seemed to be lacking in the acting department. This brings me to another criticism, the lack of human actors- in particular Commander Cody, he's bloody cgi for most of his parts- what the hell's wrong with a real person? That really annoyed me, and the Wookies- i'm pretty sure they're all cg as well and why are they there? Their little narrative was poor and undeveloped, the only logic i could see was to use Chewbacca to link the III and IV for idiots and have another excuse for some action or the whole Episode VI ewoks thing. Also the new villian General Greivous, pointless. First of all- his cloak, what does he need to hide his indentity in case someone recognizes him or something? And why the **** does a robot have a cough- ok so he has some biological parts but he was just there, with bare relevance to the story and had no history or character to make him interesting in the slightest. Shoulda kept one of the few good actors- Christopher Lee to continue being the antagonist who instead was utterly wasted. And don't get me started on the banal dialogue:

Padme: " I wuv you wots and wots"
Anakin: " Padme, I wuv you more. you're purty"
Padme: " you wuv me"
Anakin: "I wuv you, you purty"
Blah blah blah....

And on a side note, Natalie Portman, fine specimen of a woman, looked terrible in this scene.

The thing with Ep 1 and 2 was they contained new and interesting narratives, which were able to develop characters. maybe there was a little too much of this and less action, but at least there were characters and there was a story. Sadly i felt this was lacking from 3. The first two hours were empty just a chance to show some fancy effects. It's only the towards the end they story emerges and I was given something to follow and engage with.

So I spent all this time complaining about the film, let me share some reason for seeing it- it is the final Episode (allegedly), the graphics are brilliant, despite being overused and Ian McDiarmid does a groovy job.

I don't aim to persuade you not see the film or to see it, as i'm sure you've decided already, or have seen it anyway. Just don't go praising it or comparing it to the originals. Yes, it has lots of action scenes (great if you're an annoying child and another question, why would you bring a toy lightsabre to the cinema, what you going to start fighting each other- no you're not, dumb ****s), no Jar Jar Binks (bar one quick shot) and is more enjoyable then the prequels but that doesn't make it good. One can't complain for knowing what happens, who's going to die, who's going to live or the final conclusion, all I wanted was something with good acting, developed characters, strong sensical narrative, a 'darker' edge that doesn't just mean Anakin wears black (hey, look at that great hint- black costume, he's a baddie...duh). and kills some kids.
End of the day, want a film with good effects and good story see Lord of the Rings (especially as i'm sure Lucas ran out of ideas for an ending "hey that lord of the rings was successful, how did that end? huzzah- a volcano, that's where it will end!") or just see the original 3. When Star Wars Epidode 3 ROTS (geddit'?) away and when the hype dies down, one can only pray producers will realise fancy effects alone don't make a film.

Another thing- Padme's biological clock is INSANE, pregnant to birth in weeks, while staying the same age alongside Anakin who grows from annoying brat into pouting teen

Neutral Milk Hotel
NIce Review I wasnt expecting much from this movie in the first place but from what i saw so far its fun to look at
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I feel that this film is reminiscent of Troy, in these ways:

Plot = good.
Action = fantastic.
Acting = very poor.
Script = written by a pre-schooler.

I certainly did manage to get into the storyline of Anakin's slow betrayal of the Jedi, as well as the flimsy sideline of General Grievous (only added as a 'filler' antagonist until Anakin was a little more evil); I also thought the action was incredible to look at, though the movie had far too much unnecessary CG throughout. However, I was utterly appalled by the shoddy acting of Ewan McGregor (another review stated that he vowed to give up acting after Attack of the Clones, and that it's good to see he's kept his promise) and Hayden Christensen, and possibly the worst dialogue I've ever heard: "In my opinion, the Jedi are evil!" - sounds a little like "I know you are, but what am I?", doesn't it?

And don't get me started on Darth Vader shouting "Noooooooooooo!!!" at the end...

*shudder*

Sparky xXx

Bullplop! Episode three definitely wasn't horrible. Tramp, how could you praise the original flicks and then bash this one for it's lack of "character development, strong sensical narrative and shoddy acting"? Were you really expecting all that walking into a George Lucas movie?! Nevertheless, for me, the film was enjoyable. Maybe you could give it another shot...

And Mako Eyes, how the hell could you compare ROTS to Troy?

May The Forks be With Us
I don't get it. What was wrong with the Ewoks? I thought they were awsome. You got little midget's beating the crap out of some big army. incredibly cool.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Originally Posted by HellboyUnleashed
I don't get it. What was wrong with the Ewoks? I thought they were awsome. You got little midget's beating the crap out of some big army. incredibly cool.
Probably depends on the age you were when you saw it. If you were 12 or 13, then you most likely would have enjoyed those furry little creatures. If of adult age, then perhaps one would have found them to be a little immature such as with Jar Jar Binks.

Basically, yeah; I don't have anything new to say.
I thought the dialouge was awful and some parts of the plot ran a little thin.
Overall though, I got a kick out of the movie because of all the action scences, most of which were genuine FX in your face entertainment. That final lightsabre battle was wicked.

Empire Strikes Back is still numero uno.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
..the acting sucked. Anakin spends the whole film pouting like an angry teenager, hardly the solid Darth Vader.
Don't you know that Star Wars isn't the type of movie to for the acting? The movie is meant for pure action, F/X, and fun.

Yoda, he was safe when he was a puppet, why couldn't he remain a puppet? Personally, its hard to emphasise with a green bit of cgi, Frank Oz also seemed to be lacking in the acting department.
You are judging Frank Oz's puppet acting??? That's kinda wierd don't you think??? Plus Yoda is given more life like movements in this one which I find to be pretty nifty.

...and the Wookies - why are they there? Their little narrative was poor and undeveloped, the only logic i could see was to use Chewbacca to link the III and IV for idiots and have another excuse for some action or the whole Episode VI ewoks thing.
Why are they there?? Why not. And what th heck do th Ewoks gotta do with ROTS?

So I spent all this time complaining about the film
Yeah, too much. LOL!

Just don't go praising it or comparing it to the originals.
It's the best episode next to Empire Strikes Back !!!!

Lucas ran out of ideas for an ending "hey that lord of the rings was successful, how did that end? a volcano, that's where it will end!
Ummm, I don't think so. The ending of ROTS was done perfectly to intertwine with Episode IV: A New Hope. NO not with the volcano but with Obi Wan handing over baby Luke to his Aunt and Uncle on Tatooine.

Lucas ran out of ideas for an ending "hey that lord of the rings was successful, how did that end? a volcano, that's where it will end!
Actually, even when i was a young lad, i knew that darth vadar got to be like he was because of his falling into a pit of lava. It was always meant to be that way reguardless of the Lord of the Rings ending which took place many years later. It wasn't just an idea Lucas thought up because of the ending of that trilogy.

I have a question about the movie: How the hell can a robot have a cough? (general greivous)

Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
I have a question about the movie: How the hell can a robot have a cough? (general greivous)
He wasn't a robot. Don't get me wrong, he did have non biological parts to him, but underneath all that was a creature of muscle and tissue.

I was under the impression that the only organic parts to him was his eyes, brain and heart....and that the other parts were all mechanical, but i've reworked the question I prevously asked:

Why does he cough?

Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
I was under the impression that the only organic parts to him was his eyes, brain and heart....and that the other parts were all mechanical, but i've reworked the question I prevously asked:

Why does he cough?
Well, whichever parts of his were mechanical and whichever ones weren't, i'm sure the true Star Wars geeks can explain away how he can cough if they can disect a lightsabre.

As for the origin of the cough:

WARNING: "Revenge of the sith" spoilers below
I haven't seen the movie yet but i heard it was becaue of a force crush by windu early on in the film.

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
I thought the film was pretty mint, and look forward to seeing it again.

And as nobody has mentioned it im assuming no-one spotted the Millenium Falcon? After the first battle in space, after Anakin & Obi Wan have landed and are being greeted by the politicians..... well if you look carefully, as the ship is coming into land and meet the politicians the Falcon is parked up by the landing platform.

And as for Grevious' cough, well what can i say, obviously the pressures of working for a Sith Lord have turned Grevious to the fags! 20 a day will get you a champion cough like his.

I also spotted the Millenium Falcon.

And in the Star Wars universe they're not called "fags", they're called "death sticks".

I enjoyed the movie. yet the acting was so unbelievably terrible!! the movie would have been so much better with out all the mush between padme and annikan. but at the end of the day it is a movie and pretty good one, and it does make a lot of aspects of the original film a bit more understandable

Originally Posted by jrs
Don't you know that Star Wars isn't the type of movie to for the acting? The movie is meant for pure action, F/X, and fun. .
Ok, maybe my expectation were a litte too high in that department but the acting was terrible. The action scenes were alright but, for example, the Sidious vs Yoda fight, you know neither die, so what was the point? I expected a bit more intelligence, something i wasn't expecting in the fights. The Obi-Wan vs Vader was better as the was a degree of interest between the two combatants, i.e. Obi Wan's brotherly love for Anakin.

Originally Posted by jrs
You are judging Frank Oz's puppet acting??? That's kinda wierd don't you think??? Plus Yoda is given more life like movements in this one which I find to be pretty nifty..
I meant his dialogue acting, seemed a bit contrived. And I did think Yoda finally kicking ass in Episode 2 was awesome, as it was a suprise and timed effectively. Epidode 3 seeing Yoda kick ass, while not as original was fun still.

Originally Posted by jrs
Why are they there?? Why not. And what th heck do th Ewoks gotta do with ROTS? .
From IMDB trivia:
The battle with Wookiees dates back to the earliest screenplays of Star Wars (1977). Originally, the Wookiees were supposed to help the Rebels conquer an Imperial bunker. This idea was the basis for the Battle of Endor in Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), but instead of using Wookiees, George Lucas decided to use a smaller furry race and call them Ewoks.

Originally Posted by jrs
It's the best episode next to Empire Strikes Back !!!! .
You've got your opinion, i've got mine.

Originally Posted by jrs
Ummm, I don't think so. The ending of ROTS was done perfectly to intertwine with Episode IV: A New Hope. NO not with the volcano but with Obi Wan handing over baby Luke to his Aunt and Uncle on Tatooine.
Yes, agree with end ending being perfect, it was just the lava volcano scene was really reminiscent of LOTR. The other thing was i didn't feel Anakin had fully become the Darth Vader we know, OK he has some years to change but for a film made to link, for me it just didnt.

I plan to see this again (bearing in mind i hated Kill Bill 2 upon first viewing but now love it).

Originally Posted by Escape
Actually, even when i was a young lad, i knew that darth vadar got to be like he was because of his falling into a pit of lava. It was always meant to be that way reguardless of the Lord of the Rings ending which took place many years later. It wasn't just an idea Lucas thought up because of the ending of that trilogy.
How can someone even compare LOTR to SW anyways? We all know which is better.

Originally Posted by jrs
How can someone even compare LOTR to SW anyways? We all know which is better.
heh heh. Honestly, i never even watched the 3rd LOTR. It never did interest me.