Movie Tab II

Tools    

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Being There 3/5 I've got to see more of Peter Sellers' movies.

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
I liked its creativity but I don't like being bored. Dang.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Mulholland Drive - Oh dear god, I forgot how out of this world crazy this movie was. It would almost feel wrong to watch this movie before midnight. It is entrancing, creating a dream like state which becomes a full on nightmare at the very end. I fear I will be seeing that face in my dreams tonight as well.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Om jag vänder mig om/Daybreak (2003 - Björn Runge). Very, very good.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Patriot Games (third time)
Pretty good.

Used Cars (second)
I didn't like it as a kid, and I like it even less now.

The End Has Come
Princess Mononoke (1997)
Songcatcher (2000)
Evelyn (2002)

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
a Nun's Story --- really interesting film, very subtle and intriguing. Bit of a disappointing ending because i really wanted to know what happens to the character but they just roll the end titles.

Neverending Story --- Yeah! Wahooo! Love this film since i was a wee babby. fantastic story, exciting and amazing. Really good effects considering it came out of the eighties, i was really blown away just by the sheer scale of this movie. And of course i cried like gwnyie at the oscars when Artax the horse gets lost in the swamps of sadness

Arresting your development

The People's Republic of Clogher
House Of Flying Daggers (2004, Zhang Yimou)

3.5/5

Sadly gonna be compared to Hero - not quite as beautiful, not quite as operatic, not quite as fantastical. Still good, but not as good...

history *is* moralizing
The Loveless, Bigelow 1982, i like Willem a lot
Lord of the Rings 3, The Return of the King, 2003, since a friend of mine got a beamer and what a show it was then!, plus i hadn't seen the extended version yet...

A system of cells interlinked
Even though I was lugging boxes around all weekend, I still managed to squeeze one in....

12 Monkeys (Gilliam, 1995)

Blade: Trinity (d. David S. Goyer, 2004)
House of Flying Daggers (d. Yimou Zhang, 2004)

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Eyes Wide Shut (1999 - Stanley Kubrick)
Originally Posted by Tazz
Blade: Trinity (d. David S. Goyer, 2004)
House of Flying Daggers (d. Yimou Zhang, 2004)
That's nice. Care to tell us what you thought of 'um?

Lets put a smile on that block
Dark City (1998 - Alex Proyas)
I had seen this a few years back, but despite it actually being a very good and quite original sci-fi, it seems to have sunk into obscurity over the years since it was released. Brilliantly dark story of a city which is manipulated in every way possible by a group of underground alians called 'The Strangers', who look suspiciously like 'The Gentlemen' from the superb Buffy episode Hush. Its a very good story, that raises some really mind bending philosophical ideas, but in some cases it seems to run a bit too quickly, leaving some plot holes. The acting from Rufus Sewell as gifted amnesiac John is so-so, and Jennifer Connoly as his concerned 'wife' is passable, and there are other good roles from John Hurt as the detective, Kiefer Sutherland as the crazy pyschologist and Richard O'Brian as the superbly creepy Mr Hand. However, the cinematogrpahy and set design is absoloulty astounding. This movie must have cost a bomb, as Proyas delivers a truly magificent city in which we see the strange story unravel. Buildings grow out of the ground like sprouting seeds, whilst a million strangers chatter beneath the city in front of a giant glowing clock. The movie just looks fantastic, the perpetually dark city existing in some twisted 1930's America, looks just like one of those drawings where there is a thousand staircases all leading to nowwhere. Worth seeing just for the way it looks.

Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy (2005- Garth Jennings)
Some fun stuff here. I had never read the books so i didn't really know what to expect, although i had heard things about it and did expect the humour and quirky theories on our place in the universe. Wasn't a massive fan of Freeman as Aurthur, he just annoyed me more than charmed me. Not sure what i thought about Zooey Deschanel either, although her charcter did seem as bizarre as her real name. Loved Mos Def as Ford Prefect, he really suprised me, and Rockwell was good once again. I loved the song at the beginning, and Stephen Fry presented the Guide wonderfully, i want one of them. I loved the spaceship with its probabitily drive as well, such a shame Douglas Adams didnt actualy get to see this finished product when he had been trying to get it going for such a long time. Although i think i saw his face at the end as the final object the spaceship turns into, so thats pretty sweet i guess.

Mulholland Dr. (2001- David Lynch)
This will be my third viewing of this wonder. Still havnt figured it out enough yet to write about in the final essay of my educational life...another viewing tomorrow me thinks.

Meet the Parents (2000- Jay Roach)
Good fun, great mix of comedy and romance. Seen this lots of times before, still makes me cringe when Stiller cracks his jokes at that awful family, and when he wears the lovely fetching speedos. Deniro scares me a bit as Jack, makes me think thats what his like in real life. Good film, shame about the horrific sequel.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Loved Mos Def as Ford Prefect, he really suprised me
A-yeah-E-yeah-E! He nailed a character and stayed in it during the whole thing. Probably one of the few things I actually liked.