Teenage girl protects brother from mystical bum

Tools    

While reading someone else's post on another site, I was reminded of this movie I saw on cable TV in the US in the past year. I don't remember the name, and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Here's what I remember:

A teenage girl lives in a small house in Australia with her little brother and mother. She has a male friend who is sort of a romantic interest.

One day, while watching her brother, he's lured away by a creepy homeless-looking man. He follows him to this trailer (or whatever) where the man lives. The man offers to tell their fortunes. She's creeped out, but the brother isn't. The man gives the boy something (a small toy or a coin) that seems to have some kind of importance.

Later, I think the brother vanishes and turns up later like nothing happened, but misses his own birthday party.

The weird man comes to the house. We get the idea he's looking for the boy, and that he wants to take possession of him somehow. Also, it seems like he can't enter the house without an invitation. He seems like a supernatural person or entity.

The girl goes to the male friend's house where she talks to his mother and grandmother (or aunt). They tell her she has supernatural powers and give her some advice about it.

Also:

We see some scenes several times. I think she has a vision of an event first, then later we see it again when it happens.

The aunt/grandmother was played by a well-known person who was either seen more often when she was younger or else was made up to look older for this role.

It was fairly recent, I think, maybe just a couple of years old.

Thanks so much!!

This is it, thank you!!! This has been driving me crazy!

It's New Zealand, not Australia -- this explains why I read over 200 Australian movie descriptions and still couldn't find it.

Lucy Lawless! I would never have remembered that.

Thank you so much for finding my movie!!!