What is the nearest example you've seen to a perfect movie?

Tools    

The most perfect movie is THE MATRIX

GREATEST MOVIE EVER

2001: A Space Odyssey

Really, truly, honestly loved everything about this movie. Every choice, every frame, everything. I mean, it's flawed - all movies are, but 2001's damn near close to perfection. It's a commitment to watch, though. There is actually an intermission that you can stop at, then pick it up again later. I think a lot of people just see the run-time and don't know about the intermission so they never find time to watch it.

Yeah,although I didn't get 2001 and I'm not a fan of sci-fi genre,2001 looked so professional and masterful.

I might have picked American Beauty had they not had that awful crap about the plastic bag. I think it's a great film but not perfection.

My films close to perfection:
West Side Story
My Fair Lady
The Red Shoes
Brief Encounter

They're beautifully put together and incredibly moving. The components just work. Particularly for West Side Story, the music for which is stunning.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Someting where there are not only great action, but a great story between the action, perfect casting in all parts of the movie mixed in and in particular a great Villain.

There Will Be Blood is a truly amazing film, with great acting, great story. But if you want great cinematography, The Master is wonderful!

http://bradmovietalk.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
If this is true......

The Thin Red Line – COMPLETE CUT (TBD); Terence Malick, director

Here’s one I know you haven’t seen because. . .no one has seen it!

Somewhere out there exists a five hour (or more!) version of Terence Malick’s beautiful tone poem on war, memory, regret, power, nature, beauty, death and. . .I dunno. . .whatever the hell The Thin Red Line is actually about. In addition to the cavalcade of stars in the released version the “full” version includes Viggo Mortensen, Gary Oldman, Billy Bob Thornton, Lucas Haas, Jason Patric, Martin Sheen and Mickey Rourke.

I know, right?!?!?! Just think, voice over of Mickey Rourke rambling platitudes over images of soldiers and/or rare birds at magic hour may be out there somewhere. Crazy.
Than this might just be it.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Crimes and Misdemeanors has always been near perfect for me. It has classic comedic writing from Allen, as well as a brutal yet uncompromising purpose. It was everything I love about film. He tried a similar thing with Match Point, but that was so dry and weak in comparison

Besides that Days of Heaven, Tokyo Story, and Sherlock Jr. especially are films with nothing wrong with them IMO .

Kiki's Delivery Service by Miyazaki is an animated family film that is devoid of any flaws, indeed, it is perfect in absolute terms. Even the theatrical release poster is flawless:

However, the fact that it doesn't have any flaws doesn't mean it is among my top 10 favorite films. There are flawed movies that have had a greater impact upon me and thus I rate even higher.

Animated films tend to be less flawed than live action films because since each frame of film is drawn and thus the direct product of the minds of the creators of the film, and, at least in the case of Miyazaki, the whole movie is conceived and drawn by the director (the team of 100 animators that works for Miyazaki only does the heavy lifting of filling each scene, while the director draws the story board and designs everything else) and therefore everything that happens in the film happens because the director wished so and designed so. For example, in the case of Kiki's Delivery Service, the whole film was written, story-boarded and directed by Miyazaki, the crew only did the heavy lifting part of animating each scene.

In live action films the director has much less control: he cannot control the actor with the same degree that he could control a animated figure he/she drew by himself/herself! And in the case of most Hollywood films, where the studio system dominates, the auteur theory fails nearly completely and the director is only a cog in the whole hollywood machine, there the scope for a director to produce a near flawless film is severely reduced.

Most of Kubrick's films I've seen were about as perfect as possible.
Kubrick was one of the most perfectionist directors and indeed he tried to make each scene as perfect as possible. He has the world's record for most takes of a single scene, for instance.

For me to get 5 stars the film must be perfect. So I have 13 perfect movies I've seen
Well first off I retract this statement, which I made on my first day here, for two reasons

1. I now only have six five star movies
2. And a couple are far from perfect.

The two closest examples to perfect IMO are

Polanskis Chinatown

and Hitchcocks Rear Window

^Totally agree. It'd be pretty hard to point out any flaws on either of those two.

I watched one the other night I would have to class as one as close to being perfect as could be. Till The Clouds Roll By, an MGM musical from 1946. It was based on the career of Jerome Kern. Great storyline, not sappy like some of some movies from that period. Great performances by Robert Walker as Kern and Van Heflin as the second lead. Awesome Technicolor photography, fantastic musical numbers by Judy Garland, Tony Martin, Lena Horne and many other stars from that period. Frank Sinatra's out of this world rendition of Old Man River at the end of the movie makes chills run up your spine. For me the perfect movie.