The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

Ok, according to Letterboxd, I've seen 112 "war" films, so here are the ones I've ranked 4+ stars...

Conspiracy
Night and Fog
Grave of the Fireflies
Jojo Rabbit
Paths of Glory
Foreign Correspondent
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Inglourious Basterds
Pan's Labyrinth
Downfall
Sometimes in April
Hotel Rwanda
The Pianist
Braveheart
Letters from Iwo Jima
Rambo: First Blood
The Tragedy of Macbeth
Duck Soup
Shame
Da 5 Bloods
A Man Escaped
Incendies
Anthropoid
Lawrence of Arabia
Come and See
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Casualties of War
'71
Sarah's Key
Three Kings
Valkyrie
The Dirty Dozen
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Barry Lyndon
Dr. Strangelove
Flags of Our Fathers
Saving Private Ryan

Take from that what you may. I think that the "war" classification in some of these is a bit iffy, but I'll deal with that when I'm making my list.

Also, I have a good bunch (like 40) that are not ranked, like Platoon, Empire of the Sun, and others, so this is not like a strict ranking of my favorites.

Ok, according to Letterboxd, I've seen 112 "war" films, so here are the ones I've ranked 4+ stars...

Conspiracy
Night and Fog
Grave of the Fireflies
Jojo Rabbit
Paths of Glory
Foreign Correspondent
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Inglourious Basterds
Pan's Labyrinth
Downfall
Sometimes in April
Hotel Rwanda
The Pianist
Braveheart
Letters from Iwo Jima
Rambo: First Blood
The Tragedy of Macbeth
Duck Soup
Shame
Da 5 Bloods
A Man Escaped
Incendies
Anthropoid
Lawrence of Arabia
Come and See
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Casualties of War
'71
Sarah's Key
Three Kings
Valkyrie
The Dirty Dozen
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Barry Lyndon
Dr. Strangelove
Flags of Our Fathers
Saving Private Ryan

Take from that what you may. I think that the "war" classification in some of these is a bit iffy, but I'll deal with that when I'm making my list.

Also, I have a good bunch (like 40) that are not ranked, like Platoon, Empire of the Sun, and others, so this is not like a strict ranking of my favorites.
Good list. Out of the ones you mentioned I have seen all, except for Conspiracy, Sometimes in April, and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. At least a few of the ones you listed are locks for my ballot.

But seriously, as much as I adore Conspiracy, I'm not sure if I'm going to vote for it, or any other "war" film that is set away from the actual battle. I still haven't decided but just for the sake of narrowing my own list, I might decide to set that boundary. I'll think it over.

But seriously, as much as I adore Conspiracy, I'm not sure if I'm going to vote for it, or any other "war" film that is set away from the actual battle. I still haven't decided but just for the sake of narrowing my own list, I might decide to set that boundary. I'll think it over.
That's cool. For me my ballot choices will be weighted towards war related films that deal with historic events.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mine will be about wars between various members of this forum:

Raul vs. the Countdown Hosts
The Hall of Fame War
I have good vibes about Keyser hosting, but he definitely won't be exempt from the wrath of Raul.

I have good vibes about Keyser hosting, but he definitely won't be exempt from the wrath of Raul.

Then perhaps it's time to temporarily remove the baby vayilon avatar and put on the Rexorcist boxing gloves.

Mine are all going to be dance war films with lots of singing.
Mine will be about wars between various members of this forum:

Raul vs. the Countdown Hosts
The Hall of Fame War
Mine will be full of war movies about the age of Aquarius.
Mine will be full of female private detectives who are given their orders via a speaker box.

I helped Yoda test the ballot link yesterday, and now the code has been properly written. The link is on the OP, and I'm posting it here too: https://www.movieforums.com/ballot.php

Remember to check each movie for eligibility. I repeat: it must be voted as a war movie on any one of these sites: Imdb, Rotten Tomatoes or Letterboxd.

Currently watching The Imitation Game, declared "war" on Letterboxd.

And yes, instead of using the word "tagged..."

AND NOW A MOFO NEWS FLASH!!!

The Imitation Game is leaving Netflix in America on March 28. So if you have Netflix and need to watch this, you have almost two weeks. This news may or may not apply internationally.

AND NOW A MOFO NEWS FLASH!!!

The Imitation Game is leaving Netflix in America on March 28. So if you have Netflix and need to watch this, you have almost two weeks. This news may or may not apply internationally.

One more thing about Netflix. It's the only place you can watch Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods. I'm gonna watch that tonight.