The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This is another reason I struggle with these lists. Knowing I haven't seen everything. Makes my list feel like a sham to me.

When I make my list, I don't worry about how many of the movies on my list will make the countdown. In addition to watching movies that I think might make the countdown, I also make a list of the movies that I think might have a chance to make my own list, and then I watch as many of those movies as I can before the deadline. I do it for the fun of watching movies that I haven't seen yet that I might like, and making my own list, of my own favorites.

And when we reveal our lists after the countdown, you'll see how few of the movies on my list made the countdown, but that doesn't bother me because I still had fun watching all those new movies, and finding some new favorites. (In fact, several movies on my list are movies that people recommended to me that I hadn't seen, (or in some cases even heard of), before the countdown was announced, including my #1 movie.)

They should retire from my cinematic world because they've stopped being interesting. Scorsese hasn't made anything that excited me or even seemed like it was trying to be challenging or new in many years and DeNiro, to me, has become so redundant that his name on a film nearly guarantees I'll give it a miss as I just can't stand to see him act exactly the same in yet another movie. But they both still command so much attention. I just kinda wish they would go gently into that good night.
They should retire just because you don't like them anymore? Sounds harsh. I mean Scorsese has now had two films on this list hasn't he?

Still seems pretty relevant to me.

I read that Linklater is doing a similar project following a character played by Paul Mescal the course of 40 years !!!!! Can't wait to see it.
40 years?! I think you're going to have to.

I knew a lot of people liked The Irishman and I knew a lot of people liked Boyhood. And I knew that I hadn't seen them and I knew I wasn't gonna, under any circumstances. So is my list even valid, I wondered.
Why not? Mine is (as is everyone elses) so yours is too. I don't even know if I like every film on my list, let alone love it or want to see them again. Usually that would've meant I didn't submit a list, but then I'd only submit lists for about 4 or 5 categories, so just do what you feel. I didn't enter lists for quite a few countdowns, but this time decided to, even though I feel less about this than any of the ones I missed.

As for The Irishman, it’s very much the obvious concluding chapter of Scorsese’s mafia movies. I appreciate the idea and overall it is a lot of talent involved, so it can never be bad. But that CG is, to be quite honest, bad. It looks like a video game cut scene.
This is my big problem with CGI and one of the reasons I have no interest in so many films, especially the blockbusters, of course. I hate almost all cut scenes in games (my annoyance at the racing in Rush is my one lasting impression of that film and I liked that film) and have no interest in watching them in a film I can't skip.

I've not seen either of the last reveals, though I used to really like Linklater (90's again) and Scorsese is usually worth a look, though this does sound like something I'd watch to see rather than enjoy because it's all been done before, by them and probably better and more enjoyably.

Stats: Pit Stop #7

Decade Breakdown
  • 2010 = 9
  • 2011 = 8
  • 2012 = 7
  • 2013 = 5
  • 2014 = 10
  • 2015 = 11
  • 2016 = 7
  • 2017 = 3
  • 2018 = 3
  • 2019 = 7

2014 made a big push with 3 entries in this batch, but still, 2015 remains at the top. Beyond that, the spread remains fairly even.

Repeating Directors
  • Martin Scorsese = 3
  • Gareth Evans = 2
  • Anthony and Joe Russo = 2
  • Taika Waititi = 2
  • Denis Villeneuve = 2
  • Richard Linklater = 2

Denis Villeneuve makes his much anticipated entry into the list of repeating directors with Sicario and Prisoners, but Martin Scorsese also jumps in with two in the last two batches (Silence and The Irishman. Richard Linklater also enters the group.

Genre Breakdown
  • Action = 11
  • Romantic comedy = 2
  • Romantic drama = 1
  • Thriller = 12
  • Crime = 4
  • Comedy mystery = 1
  • Science fiction = 7
  • Comedy drama = 8
  • Horror comedy = 2
  • Drama = 13
  • Horror = 3
  • Western = 2
  • Fantasy = 3
  • Documentary = 1

No changes here, with dramas still at the top, but thrillers get closer to them, and action films not far behind either.

Burning becomes the twelfth "foreign" film to join the group, while animated films remain at four.

Scorsese x 3 on the list = super relevant. (for this decade)
Shutter Island, Silence, The Irishman
Revelvant because he's still making films. I don't know whether they're good though. At least, compared to his previous output.

But then, all genius has its time and you can't expect them to just stop when they've no longer got it if they keep getting the opportunity.

Revelvant because he's still making films. I don't know whether they're good though. At least, compared to his previous output.

Some of his previous output has been god tier though. So even something 75% as good as Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Age of Innocence etc is still going to be at least very good.

A system of cells interlinked
I think the guy who made Silence is still pretty relevant, yea?

I say this as probably one of the least Scorsese-y guys around here, but are we really arguing the current relevance of the 80 y/o director that's still making films every 2 or 3 years, just had 4 released the last decade, 3 of which were nominated to both Best Picture AND Best Director, two of which became his highest-grossing films worldwide, with all of them having "Fresh" Tomatometers and very positive IMDb scores? Is that what we're arguing? Just wanna be sure

A system of cells interlinked
I say this as probably one of the least Scorsese-y guys around here, but are we really arguing the current relevance of the 80 y/o director that's still making films every 2 or 3 years, just had 4 released the last decade, 3 of which were nominated to both Best Picture AND Best Director, two of which became his highest-grossing films worldwide, with all of them having "Fresh" Tomatometers and very positive IMDb scores? Is that what we're arguing? Just wanna be sure
Who are you, and what have you done with Thief?!

More useless list factoids...

Like Joker before it, Interstellar becomes the second film on the list to have both one of the highest IMDB scores (8.6) AND one of the lowest Tomatometers scores (73%) here. So a somewhat polarizing film, that's highly regarded by those that actually like it.

Only 4 animateds is kind of a bummer, although you can blame me for that since I believe I only voted for one.
I agree. It seems that Spider-Verse might be the only one to sneak in the last stretch. Surprising, since I think the animation output was quite strong that decade.

178 points, 9 lists
Incendies
Director

Denis Villeneuve, 2010

Starring

Lubna Azabal, Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin, Maxim Gaudette, Rémy Girard

178 points, 14 lists
The Lighthouse
Director

Robert Eggers, 2019

Starring

Robert Pattinson, Willem Dafoe, Valeriia Karaman, Logan Hawkes