2019 - One of the best recent years for movies

Tools    

The truth is in here
I know it's easy to **** on modern cinema, and there are many good reasons for doing so as well. But looking back, there was a lot of great stuff in 2019.

The top 5 were all movies I really and truly adored (Portrait Of A Lady On Fire, The Antenna, The Gentlemen, Jojo Rabbit, Parasite) and the shortage of great films don't stop there either (Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood, Quick, Sons Of Denmark, The Specials, 1917, Queen Of Hearts, 438 Days, Bring Me Home, Yesterday, Pelican Blood, The Other Lamb, Luce, Joker, A Hidden Life, Uncut Gems, Doctor Sleep, Just Mercy, King Of Atlantis, The Peanut Butter Falcon, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, Ad Astra, An Officer And A Spy, Long Shot, Le Mans '66, Rocketman, The Irishman & Shell Of Joint). It's like a collective of filmmakers all decided at the same time "Let's remind people of why we love going to the movies." Of course there were still a few bad ones (Overcomer, It: Chapter Two), but the best more than made up for that. It was a nice reminder that just because it's no longer the 70's or 90's doesn't mean we don't have films we can still look forward to.

2020 and 2021 comparatively are not quite as impressive, though a certain little evil bug partly has to do with that.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
2019 was a great year, amazing year but for me, the best year in film of the last decade was 2015. *2019 definitely would have been my runner up and even though covid has put a dent in our quality of films, I wouldn’t write off 2021 just yet, Oscar season is right around the corner and there are some real bangers headed our way!

2010’s (2015):
Academy: Spotlight*
Highest Grossing: Star Wars The Force Awakens*
Top Films:
• Mad Max: Fury Road
• The Revenant*
• The Hateful Eight*
• Bridge of Spies*
• Room
• The Martian*
• Sicario*
• The Big Short*
• Brooklyn*
• Inside Out*
• Jurassic World*
• Furious 7*
• Avengers: Age of Ultron*
• Spectre

https://boxd.it/bjvie

Welcome to the human race...
Even though I'd personally contest the "greatness" of a fair few of OP's picks, I have to admit there are enough I agree on that make me think of it as one of the better movie years in recent memory. I just don't think of years like that because they'll always have their famous duds and hidden gems, plus it'll always hinge on what you actually do manage to watch.