Cowboy in NYC who is turned out

Tools    

First off, it is NOT midnight cowboy, but the plot is quite close. A cowboy from some cowboy state heads to new york thinking he's going to be the GOAT, but almost immediately gets ripped off and all of his money is gone. He ends up freezing his butt off walking around in his cowboy boots looking to be as miserable as miserable can get.

What eventually happens (my memory is not so good of how they meet up) is that he meets up with some gay dude who turns him out, and then turns him into some very far off-broadway singer. There's a scene I remember where the gay guy is trying to teach him how to speak without a cowboy accent, and he eventually ends up in some gay crowd that is the hit of all the weird off-broadway NYC in-group.

I remember he plays some wind instrument like a saxophone, one scene has him standing on a sidewalk while watching a dog take a dump right next to him, then a cop shows up and tells him to clean it up. He says it wasn't his dog, but the cop isn't having it, so he has to clean it up.

Time frame is maybe early 70s. Wish I could add more, but definitely NOT midnight cowboy.

The post said twice they are NOT looking for Midnight Cowboy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Maybe "The Cowboy Way" (1994) with Woody Harrelson? I don't remember the plot too exactly, but I'm sure that it is movie about similar plot to Midnight Cowboy.

Maybe "The Cowboy Way" (1994) with Woody Harrelson? I don't remember the plot too exactly, but I'm sure that it is movie about similar plot to Midnight Cowboy.

Definitely not. Thanks anyway.

I'm starting to think it might have been a weird dream of mine because I just can't find it.

Definitely not. Thanks anyway.

I'm starting to think it might have been a weird dream of mine because I just can't find it.
What a pity. I was almost sure that it's your movie.

And do you recognise any faces of actors?

Maybe Flesh (1968) ?

And I'm starting to think it might have been a mix different movies, which you remember or low-budget movie.

Yeah, gotta point out that when something REALLY seems to match but you're not sure that's it, that's often (not always, but often) a good indicator that multiple things are mixing together in memory.

From personal experience with misremembered movies, I, too, suspect a conflation of multiple films. Aside from Midnight Cowboy, perhaps The Boys in the Band (gay charcaters + cowboy) and The Conversation (gay character (Ford) + saxophonist (Hackman)).

From personal experience with misremembered movies, I, too, suspect a conflation of multiple films. Aside from Midnight Cowboy, perhaps The Boys in the Band (gay charcaters + cowboy) and The Conversation (gay character (Ford) + saxophonist (Hackman)).

I would think the same thing if somebody else was asking. The problem is, it's me asking, and I know it's none of those.

I'll find it just to prove I didn't dream the damn thing!!!!

edit: Ah Hah!!!!!!!!

Exquisite Corpses (1989)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097316/

I even found a pic of a scene I mentioned with a dog taking a dump next to him.

It's amazing that Insane solved this very difficult riddle 30 rates in IMDB and 0 rates in Filmweb database - I am suprised.

It's amazing that Insane solved this very difficult riddle 30 rates in IMDB and 0 rates in Filmweb database - I am suprised.

The hardest part was that a google search for gay cowboy in new york movie netted me a seemingly insurmountable wall of midnight cowboys! Then the plot mirrors midnight cowboy to such a large extent that I eventually found it by searching for midnight cowboy remakes.

If anybody is interested in watching it, it's not a great movie. It's a very weird movie, and that's what made it memorable.