17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Interesting, I'm not sure if people think I have bad taste, are only into genre flicks or never talk about foreign films.
My pleasure is seeing you select such a film for a nomination. I could easily see you watch this either on your own or by another's suggestion. It just caught me by surprise (and again, it is a PLEASURABLE surprise) that it would be your nomination in a General HoF.

Glad to hear your enjoyment of The Libertine, @MijaFrost. And it does have a slight lacking in the backstory to keep us viewers on track. While at the same time, having getting plopped in the heat of the self-indulgence of a poet and writer puts us more in the midst of the debauchery with more zest and focus on the occurrences as opposed to the whys of it. The sheer will of determination of following through self-destruction to its very end for its own sake and not simply playing the tourist to hedonistic distractions.

Also, do not forget his opening soliloquy:
"You will not like me. . ."

Where it does lack in motive due to past experiences, it definitely makes up in the mindset of our Libertine.

Incendies (2010)
Directed by: Denis Villeneuve
Starring: Lubna Azabal, Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin, Maxim Gaudette

Being partially set during a religious civil war, Incendies deals with some uncomfortable subject matter. The story is steeped in tragedy from start to finish, and its slow moving pace builds a tension that occasionally erupts into intense sequences featuring hatred, revenge, or even pure brutality. It's not a film that is going to appeal to everyone, but I found a lot of the imagery to be quite powerful, and the film is beautifully shot with excellent cinematography.

Throughout the film, the focus continuously shifts between the twins Jeanne and Simon in the modern day, and the struggles their mother Nawal faced before emigrating to Canada. Jeanne's search for the truth provides a framework for Nawal's story, which is where the film's central conflicts and ideology originate. Lubna Azabal's performance as the mother is simply mesmerizing, and I was always eager to see more of her history, even if it meant witnessing something heartbreaking or horrific.

Events that originally seem disconnected come together towards the end of the film, though the resolution provides perhaps one revelation too many. Simon's character is definitely underwritten and perhaps even unnecessary, but that's a relatively minor complaint since he doesn't take up that much screen time. Even if the film does falter a little during the finale, it was still very engaging, and has left a lingering impression on me.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Incendies.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	48084  

The movies I think my wife might like, I put on my Netflix queue. I think I have The Dressmaker in line for next weekend.
Tell your wife The Dressmaker was nominated by the guy who always picks those sentimental Hof films

I didn't even realize it was yours.
Miss Vicky revealed who nominated what on the second post. It's not really sentimental, though I usually go for those type films. Hopefully you guys like it.

Miss Vicky revealed who nominated what on the second post. It's not really sentimental, though I usually go for those type films. Hopefully you guys like it.
I did look at who nominated everything when it was revealed, but I quickly forget most of them unless there's a reason it sticks in my mind. I do the same thing for the song tourneys.

Interesting, I'm not sure if people think I have bad taste, are only into genre flicks or never talk about foreign films.
I was surprised because I thought you had good taste.

I did look at who nominated everything when it was revealed, but I quickly forget most of them unless there's a reason it sticks in my mind. I do the same thing for the song tourneys.
I often forget too who nominated what.

Incendies (2010)
Directed by: Denis Villeneuve
Starring: Lubna Azabal, Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin, Maxim Gaudette

The story is steeped in tragedy from start to finish, and its slow moving pace builds a tension that occasionally erupts into intense sequences featuring hatred, revenge, or even pure brutality. It's not a film that is going to appeal to everyone, but I found a lot of the imagery to be quite powerful, and the film is beautifully shot with excellent cinematography
Now those two statements alone along with the fact that this is nominated by Cosmic has me very VERY intrigued for this one.

@Miss Vicky

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Eddie: They're armed.
Soap: What was that? Armed? What do you mean armed? Armed with what?
Eddie: Err, bad breath, colorful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit!

Following suit, I'll be reviewing my nomination.

I had seen this first film by Guy Ritchie when it had came out at a local theater that specializes in independent films and, very quickly, became of fanboy of Ritchie very soon after. With a stylized look at the underbelly of London's cobbles, quotable dialogue, bad choices leading to even worse actions with a great lil soundtrack, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a seriously choice bumper car ride.

While the main focus is on four friends who take a chance on an illegal card game, it is the slew of secondary characters and how everyone seems to collide and collude with one another that really creates one highlight to the next.
Admittedly, a con or theft going wrong with dangerous and/or comical results is a redundant set up for a movie. But, like anything else, when done with creative precision, the payoff is very much worth it. And, yes, my friends this f@ckin is.
From loan sharks to cardsharps to con artists, thugs and pot growers, our four mates attempt to play the odds that are (of course) stacked against them.
All of it occurring without we, the viewers, getting lost, confused or bored. The pace is ideal, the dialogue: quick, funny and clever, the actors do stand up jobs at their given roles, and the antics and situations that spiral out of control never get too outrageous to cause you to roll your eyes at how the writer lost control of his story.
Enjoy!

PS if you're lucky enough to come across a Director's Cut with a few extra scenes added in, by all means, indulge yourself.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Eddie: They're armed.
Soap: What was that? Armed? What do you mean armed? Armed with what?
Eddie: Err, bad breath, colorful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit!

Following suit, I'll be reviewing my nomination.

I had seen this first film by Guy Ritchie when it had came out at a local theater that specializes in independent films and, very quickly, became of fanboy of Ritchie very soon after. With a stylized look at the underbelly of London's cobbles, quotable dialogue, bad choices leading to even worse actions with a great lil soundtrack, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a seriously choice bumper car ride.

While the main focus is on four friends who take a chance on an illegal card game, it is the slew of secondary characters and how everyone seems to collide and collude with one another that really creates one highlight to the next.
Admittedly, a con or theft going wrong with dangerous and/or comical results is a redundant set up for a movie. But, like anything else, when done with creative precision, the payoff is very much worth it. And, yes, my friends this f@ckin is.
From loan sharks to cardsharps to con artists, thugs and pot growers, our four mates attempt to play the odds that are (of course) stacked against them.
All of it occurring without we, the viewers, getting lost, confused or bored. The pace is ideal, the dialogue: quick, funny and clever, the actors do stand up jobs at their given roles, and the antics and situations that spiral out of control never get too outrageous to cause you to roll your eyes at how the writer lost control of his story.
Enjoy!

PS if you're lucky enough to come across a Director's Cut with a few extra scenes added in, by all means, indulge yourself.
I always used to quote movies when I was drinking. I haven't seen this movie in a while so I'm not sure if I'm getting this one right exactly. Anyway, this one came from the black dude in your picture. Several years ago, my wife and I went to Watkins Glen for a few days, and after leaving the bar one night, my wife wanted to stop in the local general store to get some milk for the morning. I told her to pretend she didn't know me, and to ask the cashier where the expiration date on the milk was. There was a decent amount of people in the store and I was in line in front of her getting something else. Of course, I don't look like I belong with her. I paid, stepped aside, and she asked the cashier the question. I turn around and say to her, loud enough so everyone could hear and in my best British accent, "If the milk is spoiled, I'm just the kind of pussycat that'll lick it up, you know what I mean". And then I walked out. She came out a minute later laughing and telling me the people were asking her if they wanted to walk her out so that creepy man didn't bother her. So we waited for people to come out one by one and see us wildly making out. We got a good drunken laugh out of everyone's reactions.

I always used to quote movies when I was drinking. I haven't seen this movie in a while so I'm not sure if I'm getting this one right exactly. Anyway, this one came from the black dude in your picture. Several years ago, my wife and I went to Watkins Glen for a few days, and after leaving the bar one night, my wife wanted to stop in the local general store to get some milk for the morning. I told her to pretend she didn't know me, and to ask the cashier where the expiration date on the milk was. There was a decent amount of people in the store and I was in line in front of her getting something else. Of course, I don't look like I belong with her. I paid, stepped aside, and she asked the cashier the question. I turn around and say to her, loud enough so everyone could hear and in my best British accent, "If the milk is spoiled, I'm just the kind of pussycat that'll lick it up, you know what I mean". And then I walked out. She came out a minute later laughing and telling me the people were asking her if they wanted to walk her out so that creepy man didn't bother her. So we waited for people to come out one by one and see us wildly making out. We got a good drunken laugh out of everyone's reactions.
It's a little more harsher in the film, but you got it.

If I was in line at that store, I'd doubt I'd have kept a straight face hearing that.

Weird is relative.
The Innocents (1961)

A very good looking production - the Gothic house, the period outfits, and the "scare scenes" were also well done.

It was eerie and unsettling the entire time. I was waiting for something major to happen, but the events were more subtle, and so that's when you start to doubt the protagonist's sanity.

I'd say she was definitely kind of cuckoo, but how to interpret the story probably depends on how one wants to take it - figuratively, or literally? Maybe the ghosts were real. Maybe she was just nutty. I'm open to either conclusion.
I didn't like the ending, but it does preserve that sense of ambiguity.

I didn't know there was a Director's Cut. I'd like to see that.

I took a quick look at my DVD, and it appears to just be the regular edition. Disappointed, I looked for my room mate's copy as well. It's the exact same version I have. So I take a look on Netflix. It's on there, but based on the runtime it appears to be the theatrical cut as well.

The Dressmaker (2015)
Directed By: Jocelyn Moorhouse
Starring: Kate Winslet, Judy Davis, Liam Hemsworth

The Dressmaker is a very charming and quirky film that is a little too absurd at times, but remains entertaining nonetheless. The film's style is just as striking as the designer gowns on screen, and the performances of Davis and Winslet are simply captivating. I haven't described anything as “strangely compelling” in awhile, but I think that phrase fits the film's weird but fascinating story perfectly.

Early in the film when we're introduced to the other residents of Dungatar, I was a little worried about what direction the film was going in. Each character had their own eccentric trait, and it felt too much like a cartoon to really get me on board. But I did find myself laughing along quite often, so the silliness must have had an endearing quality to it. I actually had to pause the film at one point because one of Molly's lines had me cackling like a madman, and I'm glad no one else was home at the time.

The film's final act comes with a dramatic shift in tone that I honestly was not prepared for. It eventually eases back into being a dark comedy, but since I thought the film was ending on that note, I was initially confused when it kept going. I think I had forgotten what it felt like for a film to boldly defy my expectations, and it's quite refreshing. It's definitely a unique film, and I'm glad it was nominated because it turned out to be quite a lot of fun.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dressmaker.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	48113  

The Innocents

Alright suckers lets talk about the atmosphere of this bad boy. It's great. You truly feel like you're in that mansion: The candlelit halls, the big, green outdoors, the sense of isolation etc. Good thing I got the Blu-Ray copy of the film, cause the film looks as crisp as a crisp! The shadows and darkness look so black! The film isn't 'downright' scary but it sure as hell IS spooky! The type of horror it tries to achieve is done through quick editing, loud noises and lack of music (Kinda expected that type of horror going into it). The 'hide-and-seek' scene and the last 5 minutes were probably the spookiest scenes. The characters are fairly well developed, you do want to see them get out alright by the end. Deborah Kerr's performance was pretty great. I loved how the film kinda changes at around the 3rd act, it was actually a really cool concept to explore in a 'haunted house' film. Really like how it keeps itself almost 100% ambiguous, the questions left unanswered made the film alot creepier.

Also I have to say it again, great last 5 minutes. Lots of people like to say this film is about sexual repression, which makes that final shot a whole lot more disturbing.

Great film @Siddon, I mean I saw it in April and these are my thoughts about that viewing but still, I enjoyed writing this review.

The Dressmaker (2015)
Directed By: Jocelyn Moorhouse
Starring: Kate Winslet, Judy Davis, Liam Hemsworth

It's definitely a unique film, and I'm glad it was nominated because it turned out to be quite a lot of fun.
Was that scene in the movie? It must have been...Geez ,I don't even remember that specific shot, so I'm definitely do for a rewatch. And I just picked it up from the library too. Glad to hear you liked it, I had been planning on nominating for the past couple HoFs.