Great Movies with Plot Holes

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What are those great/good movies that have plot holes that annoy you?

I mean you could be super analytical and come up with loads in just about any movie but what are the ones in films you love?

Lots of these plot holes could fall under bracket of plot device rather than plot hole but the writers should do better imo.

No point discussing bad films as they are basically one big plot hole.

Heat

The armoured car robbery at the start. Neil and his tight crew bring in an outsider, Waynegro for the job BUT they don't need a fifth man at all, Waynegro just sits in the truck with Mike then stands guard outside the truck with the others, everything that goes wrong in the movie for Neil and co can be traced back to this decision, now you could argue that this is a plot device or instigating incident to move the plot forward but it never made sense to me. Come up with a better reason for having a fifth man at least.

Gladiator

Maximus eludes his execution, but why doesn't he sneak back into camp, raise his loyal army and sort everything out then and there?

Bullitt - never understood why the chain was off the door in the cheap hotel room.

Bullitt - never understood why the chain was off the door in the cheap hotel room.
The guy they are protecting unchains it no?

A few spoilers

The Tenant: If he was so paranoid about the people in the apartment block, why didn't he just move out of the damn place?!

Locke: The whole reason he goes to the hospital is to be there when the baby is born, as he has some daddy issues about his own birth. Couldn't he just not go to the hospital and lie to the kid when he/she grows up that he WAS at the hospital when s/he was born?

Twelve Monkeys: In the main character's flashbacks, Brad Pitt is the one taking the bomb on the plane. But at the end of the movie, it's a random guy taking the bomb to the plane. WHAT?!

Locke: The whole reason he goes to the hospital is to be there when the baby is born, as he has some daddy issues about his own birth. Couldn't he just not go to the hospital and lie to the kid when he/she grows up that he WAS at the hospital when s/he was born?
IIRC, didn’t he tell the mother of his child that he would be coming to the hospital? Are you suggesting he abandon her there & then lie to his own child later in its life?

IIRC, didn’t he tell the mother of his child that he would be coming to the hospital?
Yes

Are you suggesting he abandon her there & then lie to his own child later in its life?
Yes. His life wouldn't be ruined then.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean his life was ruined. He has a new baby that needs him. If he abandoned its mother, like you suggested, & later lied to this child, that would be hard for anyone to live with. That would ruin his life. He needed to man up & face the consequences of his adultery.

Gladiator

Maximus eludes his execution, but why doesn't he sneak back into camp, raise his loyal army and sort everything out then and there?
Because his priority was to get to his home in the hopes that maybe his family might still be alive. If you were in that situation, would you just take Quintus's word for it or would you do something to try to save them?

Blade Runner - more of a continuity error but pretty big: When Leon is tested in the beginning he clearly answers "Let me tell you about my mother". Near the 3rd act, Deckard listens back to that same recording where Leon says "I'll tell you about my mother!" LET ME vs I'LL. Always put a kink in my neck.

Maximum Overdrive - The whole movie

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Die Hard 2 -- Why didn't the planes just fly to other airports.

Terminator Salvation -- Why would Skynet build a cyborg that was electronically capable of overriding their system?

The Dark Knight -- Why did Gorgon fake his death to protect his family? If Joker wanted Gordon's family dead, he would go after them, whether or not Gordon was alive or not. So Gordon faking his death makes no difference.

The Thing (1982 version) -- Since the scientist character told everyone that the The Thing is able to imitate anyone perfectly, why do all the characters constantly split up all the time, instead of sticking together?

Because he is a double. Doesn't realise he is going to get killed.

Because his priority was to get to his home in the hopes that maybe his family might still be alive. If you were in that situation, would you just take Quintus's word for it or would you do something to try to save them?
But still deems faster to take over army, kill enemies and send word for family not to be harmed.

many things mentioned here are not plot holes, sorry but yoda already went ahead of me and said it....

many things mentioned here are not plot holes, sorry but yoda already went ahead of me and said it....
Suppose could change thread title to, "plot devices that defy logic and irritate you"