Whiplash (Damien Chazelle, 2014) –
+
The Blair Witch Project* (Daniel Myrick & Eduardo Sánchez, 1999) –

The Social Network* (David Fincher, 2010) –

Halloween* (John Carpenter, 1978) –

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (Francis Lawrence, 2014) –
-

*Rewatch

I use each thread differently, as do a lot of people.

I post in here after I've seen five films, but I only just list them the title, director, year and popcorn rating and choose an image from two of the films to post with it. Whereas in the Rate the Last Movie Thread, I'll post about one movie and usually give some explanation for why I've given it that rating.
That's funny, kinda how I thought I'd use it! Anyways thanks for the answer to you and everybody else.

Rocky II

A worthy sequel that's about as good as the first one, with a nice natural continuation to it. Really enjoyed it.

The Bay

Kept my attention but it never got anywhere and was overall a lazy attempt at found-footage and epedemic horror.

Tusk

Knowing the premise it still felt lazy, pathetic, stupid and with no real reason for all the madness. Justin Long was pretty cool in it though.

Das Cabinet Der Dr. Caligari

For a movie of its age it worked extremely well for me and I loved the music and the look and feel of german expressionism!

Guyane (2009) - Imanou Petit
Short about a kid in French Guiana getting medicine for his sick grandmother. Nice.
+

Like a Virgin (2006) - Lee Hae Jun/Lee Hae Yeong
Korean comedy about a high school student who wants to have a sex change ... and also happens to be good at wrestling. Kind of like Rocky but with more cross-dressing.

Fando & Lis (1968) - Alejandro Jodorowsky
What the ...
+

Diabolique (1955) - Henri-Georges Clouzet
A very good Hitchcockian thriller.
+

Lost Highway (1997) - David Lynch
Lynch can be a bit hit and miss with me but I really enjoyed this. Not sure Bill Pullman was a great casting choice but Patricia Arquette was excellent.
-

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) - Jacques Demy
Once I got over the fact that the whole thing is done like an Opera I enjoyed it. Lots of pretty colours

Ladybird Ladybird (1994) - Ken Loach
I could easily see people hating this film due to all the angry screaming bit I loved it. A very sad story of a woman constantly fighting to stop her children being removed by social services.
+

Children of Paradise (1945) - Michael Carne
Lots of great moments but so long. If I didn't have such a short attention span I'd probably consider it a masterpiece.
-

Mauvais Sang (1986) - Leos Carax
An odd (is a Carax film ever not?) sci-fi romance with the always compelling Denis Lavant.
-

Forbidden Games (1952) - Rene Clement
A really touching WWII movie about an orphaned girl and the family that takes care of her. Some great acting by the children.
+

Hotel Belgrad (1998) - Andrea Staka
A short Swiss film about a couple separated by war. Decent enough and Staka shows she me be a director to look out for in the future.

The Heisters (1964) - Tobe Hooper
Hooper's first short showed that he had a future but didn't do much for me beyond that.

Silverado (1985) - Lawrence Kasdan
Scott Glenn & Kevin Kline are great but a pretty poor script stopped it being anything more than decent. Still, from someone who doesn't tend to like westerns too much, it was fun.
-

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - Peter R Hunt
This wasn't a great movie but it was interesting to see a different style of Bond with Lazenby being much more physical that any other Bond except perhaps Craig. An unusual ending for a Bond movie too. Definitely worth watching.

Back when I had an attention span and watched most things, I really liked Children Of Paradise (Les Enfant du Paradis) and, with the exception of Psycho, Les Diabolique is better than anything Hitchcock ever did.

Have you seen much by Ken Loach?

Back when I had an attention span and watched most things, I really liked Children Of Paradise (Les Enfant du Paradis) and, with the exception of Psycho, Les Diabolique is better than anything Hitchcock ever did.
I rated Rebecca and Rear Window higher as well but it's better than the other seven I've seen.

Have you seen much by Ken Loach?
I've probably seen Kes - hard to remember because I've read the book and maybe I'm just remembering that. None others though. I'll definitely be watching more.

Nymphomaniac Vol. I, Director's Cut (rewatch)

My final decision on which version I prefer has been a long journey, I must say...
- Vol. I and Vol. II I watched early this year (February, I think)
- The Director's Cut of both Volumes I watched on September 1st back-to-back, and I was the first in the world to ever watch the DC of Vol. II (not that it really matters lol)
- I then revisited Vol. I to compare the two...
- ...and now finally I revisited the Director's Cut of Vol. I to finally make a decision of which edition I prefer

I really do like the film most defiantly, but I just wasn't sure if I needed those extra 30 minutes, but now I realize that I indeed do. In fact, I prefer both of the Volumes in their Director's Cut versions, despite of that abortion scene in Vol. II. Holy **** that is one of the nastiest most gut-wrenching scenes I've ever watched. Vol. II was probably an easier decision to make, since that volume was missing a whole hour of footage, which obviously ruined the pace, and such, a lot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Sorry about that Swan. I forgot to log Sarah off her Mac and log me on. Now that I have a real computer, I'll be posting a few of these backlogged tabs. The first one is from last Saturday.

The Black Stallion Returns (Robert Dalva, 1983)

Candyman 3: Day of the Dead (Turi Meyer, 1999)
-
The Undefeated (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1969)

Gambit (Ronald Neame, 1966)

A complicated heist is planned down to the second by Michael Caine with the help of exotic dancer Shirley MacLaine.
The Courtship of Eddie’s Father (Vincente Minnelli, 1963)

Road to Utopia (Hal Walker, 1945)
-
Jurassic Park III (Joe Johnston, 2001)
+
Johnny Handsome (Walter Hill, 1989)
+

Before his plastic surgery and parole, deformed hood Mickey Rourke seeks revenge on those who double-crossed him and his gang.
With Six You Get Eggroll (Howard Morris, 1968)
-
Time (Ki-duk Kim, 2006)

A Season of Miracles (Michael Pressman, 1999)
-
The Cat O’ Nine Tails (Dario Argento, 1971)
(rewatch since I was tired last time)

The eye of a serial killer is often shown before he strikes.
New Roadways (Basil Wrangell, 1939)

The Easy Life aka Il Sorpasso (Dino Risi, 1962)
-
In the Meantime, Darling (Otto Preminger, 1944)

Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)

”12 Cabins, 12 Vacancies.”
Silent Hill (Christophe Gans, 2006)

Between Two Women (Willis Goldbeck, 1944)

What About Bob? ()
+
Baadasssss! (Mario Van Peebles, 2003)
-

Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles (Mario Van Peebles) [third from top [left] and his crew pose for a picture during his kamikaze production of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

Whiskers (Jim Kaufman, 1997)

The Jungle Book (Zoltan Korda, 1942)
+
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Betty Thomas, 2009)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (William Dieterle, 1939)
+

Gypsy girl Esmeralda (Maureen O’Hara) offers Quasimodo (Charles Laughton) water after he’s whipped in public.
Cesar Rapids (Miguel Arteta, 2011)
+
Deathdream aka Dead of Night (Bob Clark, 1972)

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (Richard Boleslawski, 1937)

Jackie Brown (Quentin Tarantino, 1997)

Flight attendant Jackie Brown (Pam Grier) gets a gun and some advice from bail bondsman Robert Forster about her attempted sting of both the cops and the crooks.
We Are Marshall (McG, 2009)
+
Smart as a Fox (No Director Listed, 1946)

The Fight Before Christmas (Terence Hill, 1994)

Dave (Ivan Reitman, 1993)

First Lady Sigourney Weaver checks out her husband (Kevin Kline), not knowing he’s a lookalike posing as the President.
Minnie and Moskowitz (John Cassavetes, 1971)

Following (Christopher Nolan, 1996)
+
Snakes on a Plane (David R. Ellis, 2006)

Stardust Memories (Woody Allen, 1980)

Director Sandy Bates (Woody Allen) asks space aliens some serious questions, but they tell him they’re the wrong questions. They do like his early, funny movies though.
At Land (Maya Daren, 1944)

The Fearmakers (Jacques Tourneur, 1958)

The Devil’s Eye (Ingmar Bergman, 1960)
-
Hachi: A Dog’s Tale (Lasse Hallström, 2009)

College professor Richard Gere adopts an Akita puppy who absolutely adores him.

This is the Night (Frank Tuttle, 1932)
+
Suzy (George Fitzmaurice, 1936)

3 Idiots (Rajkumar Harani, 2009)
+
The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014)

What starts out as a strange book gets introduced to a widow and her eccentric son, and then a full-on haunting ensues.
The Dark Horse (Alfred E. Green, 1932)

The Woman from Monte Carlo (Michael Curtiz, 1932)

Under 18 (Archie Mayo, 1931)

St. Vincent (Theodore Melfi, 2014)
+

Not-so-saintly slob Bill Murray “babysits” the boy next door Jaeden Lieberher by taking him to the racetrack.
Home Before Dark (Mervyn LeRoy, 1958)

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (Tay Garnett, 1949)

Don’t Bet on Blondes (Robert Florey, 1935)

Ida (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2013)

Before she takes her vows, young novice Agata Trzebuchowska goes to visit her aunt Agata Kulesza and learns that she is, in fact, a Jew. The two try to find out what happened to her missing, presumed dead, parents and the aunt’s small son.
Instant Love (Paul Sylbert, 1964)

Highway 301 (Andrew L. Stone, 1950)

The Naked Kiss (Samuel Fuller, 1964)

In a Lonely Place (Nicolas Ray, 1950)
-

Scriptwriter and suspected murderer Humphrey Bogart runs some new lines by lover Gloria Grahame.
Decoy (Jack Bernhard, 1946)

The Lady Takes a Sailor (Michael Curtiz, 1949)

Laurence Anyways (Xavier Dolan, 2012)
+
The Lavender Hill Mob (Charles Crichton, 1951)

Sianley Holloway and Alec Guinness are masterminds behind an armored car heist, and afterwards, they melt the gold bars to turn them into Eiffel Towers to get the gold safely out of the country.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Plus rep for liking Ida, mark!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Half a Hero (Don Weis, 1953)

Looking for Love (Don Weis, 1964)

Smiles of a Summer Night (Ingmar Bergman, 1955)
-
A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy (Woody Allen, 1982)
-

In between trying to play musical beds, the visitors at inventor Woody Allen’s country home have time to eat. They include his wife Mary Steenburgen, nurse Julie Hagerty, old flame Mia Farrow, best friend/dentist Tony Roberts and pompous college professor Jose Ferrer.
Billie (Don Weis, 1965)

Flipper (James B. Clark, 1963)

Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman, 1961)

The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)

With Death at his door, crusader Max von Sydow tries to confess to God but feels overwhelmed by the death and plague he feels his religion has caused.
Altman (Ron Mann, 2014)

A Raisin in the Sun (Kenny Leon, 2008)

The Grandmother (David Lynch, 1970)

Ring of Bright Water (Jack Couffer, 1969)

Wondetful comic tale of otter Midge who is the best friend of Londoner Bill Travers who takes him to live in remote Scotland.
Roller Boogie (Mark L. Lester, 1979)

Remember the Night (Mitchell Leisen, 1940)

All Girl Revue (Lloyd French, 1940)

Meet John Doe (Frank Capra, 1941)

Political kingpin Edward Arnold listens to reporter Barbara Stanwyck try to rehearse “forgotten man” Gary Cooper while his best friend Walter Brennan wants nothing to do with “helots”.
Hail Mary (Jean-Luc Godard, 1985)

Best Worst Movie (Michael Stephenson, 2009)

Get Christie Love! (William A. Graham, 1974)

The Card aka The Promoter (Ronald Neame, 1952)

Lowly clerk Alec Guinness uses his moxie and money-sense to become one of his town’s leading citizens while he romances dance instructor Glynis Johns.

Malice in Wonderland
(Vince Collins, 1982)

Weird 'Alice in Wonderland' interpretation, it's like the short acid version and you can find it on YouTube. I haven't got much to say, other than it kept me strangely captivated for its four minute running time.

The Trouble with Harry
(Alfred Hitchcock, 1955)

I know a few members on here love this, so I had been wanting to check it out for a while. A romance disguised as a murder mystery, it's a delightful film that has a lovely warm, even British, feeling to it. The murder plot is an excuse for a lot of great comedic scenes and odd interactions between characters that are delightful to spend time with.

Yellow Submarine
(George Dunning, 1968)

Another weird animation that feels like its on acid sometimes, the story is pretty pointless. But it's a great excuse to spend an hour and a half listening to my favourite band, some great songs, and the animation with all its strange style is fascinating to watch.

The Proposal
(Anne Fletcher, 2009)

Decent romantic comedy. Not as bad as I expected it to be, like a lot of these films, the plot is at times incredibly silly, but I actually enjoyed the main performances.

Mr. Turner
(Mike Leigh, 2014)

There is so much about this film that is pretty much perfect. The performance by Timothy Spall is, the sets and costumes, the cinematography etc. However, the story and editing lets this one down for me. I really wanted to love this, but I just couldn't, it's far too long and needs to be more focused. Anyone on here will know I am not usually one too moan about 'long' or 'boring' films, but I didn't really get the point of this film? I'm not sure what was meant to be captured, we touch on different aspects of JMW Turner and what he was like, it's a nice glimpse, but a more focused plot could have had me truly gripped and loving this film.

2001: A Space Odyssey
(Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

I posted about this in the rate the last movie you saw thread, I saw it in the cinema with my brother who I paid to get down to Cardiff with me as he had never seen it before, I couldn't let him miss it. He absolutely loved it as did I. This film was already one of my favourites, but seeing it at the cinema took it to a whole new level of enjoyment. There was a mixture of young people like me, and older people who had seen it back in '68, everyone stood up and applauded when it ended. There were so many sequences that gave my the goosebumps, the music is absolutely brilliant and adds to the epicness of the whole thing so well. My brother knew nothing about the film apart from HAL, and I don't think he knows so much now, but as he says, it's okay. It's a fantastic experience with so many brave scenes, there are so many questions raised that you just sit there in awe at what Stanley Kubrick had the genius to attempt.

Scholastic England (James A. FitzPatrick, 1948)
-
The Man Who Came to Dinner (William Keighley, 1942)

Too Late Blues (John Cassavetes, 1961)

How to Eat Watermelon in White Company (and Enjoy It) (Joe Angio, 2005)

A documentary about Melvin Van Peebles – author and influential filmmaker - who went to France to start his career and then returned to America to start a revolution in both movies and music. Later he even became a stock options trader and a TV news commentator!
Total Balalaika Show (Aki Kaurismäki, 1994)

Dark Delusion (Willis Goldbeck, 1947)

Scrooge (Ronald Neame, 1970)
+
Jimi Hendrix (Joe Boyd, John Head & Gary Weis, 1973)
-

A documentary about iconic guitarist Jimi Hendrix, covering his entire life, with comments by his best friends, lady loves, admiring fellow musicians and some of his appearances on TV and at concerts.
Judex (Georges Franju, 1963)

It’s Such a Beautiful Day (Don Hertzfeldt, 2012)

One for the Book (Roy Mack, 1940)

Carnal Knowledge (Mike Nichols, 1971)

College roommates Jack Nicholson and Art Garfunkel seem to spend all their time talking about women, but their approach to how it relates to love and happiness is vastly different.
Paradise: Hope (Ulrich Seidl, 2013)

No Highway in the Sky (Henry Koster, 1951)

It Happened on Fifth Avenue (Roy Del Ruth, 1947)
+
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Mike Nichols, 1966)

Martha (Elizabeth Taylor) and George (Richard Burton) share one of the few quiet moments after a long night’s worth of drinking, yelling and vicious games.
Trances (Ahmed El Maanouni, 1981)

December 7th (John Ford & Gregg Toland, 1943)
-
Kumaré (Vikram Gandhi, 2011)
-
The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)

Benjamin (Dustin Hoffman) is as nervous and self-conscious about his first time as Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) is as nonchalant about it.