The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Tomorrow there's another 1930s HoF film showing up on the countdown, any guesses?

These are all the movies that were nominated from the two 30s Hofs. The blue ones are links that made the countdown so far.

Bachelor Mother (1939) #86
Bride of Frankenstein (1935) #18
Child Bride (1938)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) # 28
Gunga Din (1939) # 61
Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937) #71
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Mad Love (1935)
Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) #32
Of Mice and Men (1939) #46
Pepe le Moko (1937) # 54
Red Dust (1932) # 59
The Goddess (1934)
The Roaring Twenties (1939) #21
The Scarlet Empress (1934) #63
The Thin Man (1934) #25
Virtue (1932)

Could be almost any of them with this crowd

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I actually did a Blind Nomination for the 14th HoF with this, and surprisingly, did not have it on my final list.

La Grande Illusion

Before watching this movie I checked out the introduction by the director, Renoir, who mentioned how this was not the usual POW movie that many of us are familiar with and how, for him, the first world war and in regards to how prisoners were treated, was far more gentleman-like and it does prepare you for how courtesy to a military prisoner is equal to how one would treat a guest.

Also, though while the setting of this movie, the very heart of it is more about relationships. Between classes and among people and we see this as those who are similar in their upbringing find and drift toward their like, regardless of what country they come from.
And while this seems a simplistic storyline, there is an elegance that did catch me unaware and without realizing it, I was very much involved in the story and with the characters in this.

What I also found endearing was that there was no bad guy. There were human beings. Soldiers. Doing what they must, as they must.
I won't go any deeper and wait for others to watch and continue this conversation then.

Closing, I will say I am very happy to have found this and quite happy to share it.
Can't honestly say if I've ever seen 39 Steps so I won't claim a watch for it and add it to the WatchList.

Watched 55/88 (62.5%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) A childhood favorite I don't see making it
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Won't make it but wanted folks to be aware of it
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Tomorrow there's another 1930s HoF film showing up on the countdown, any guesses?

These are all the movies that were nominated from the two 30s Hofs. The blue ones are links that made the countdown so far.

Bachelor Mother (1939) #86
Bride of Frankenstein (1935) #18
Child Bride (1938)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) # 28
Gunga Din (1939) # 61
Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937) #71
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Mad Love (1935)
Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) #32
Of Mice and Men (1939) #46
Pepe le Moko (1937) # 54
Red Dust (1932) # 59
The Goddess (1934)
The Roaring Twenties (1939) #21
The Scarlet Empress (1934) #63
The Thin Man (1934) #25
Virtue (1932)
I'll vote for Fugitive making it tomorrow

Had Grand Illusion at 20 and 39 Steps at 22. I haven't done the math but I will guess It Happened One Night. For some reason it would please me for that to miss the top ten. That make me feel like a jerk, but there it is

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Grand Illusion was my number two!

My favourite Renoir (take that, Rules of the Game!), and what a beutiful film!

The 39 Steps is good, but the only thing I can remember were the kinky handcuffs. I enjoyed some other films in which handcuffs were put to a better use much more, though.

I ain't got no time to say moar!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My first twofer. The Grand Illusion is my highest placing film so far at #7 and the second Hitchcock film on my list The 39 Steps was at #12.

My List:

7. The Grand Illusion (#14)
8. The Lady Vanishes (#22)
10. The Thin Man (#25)
11. Ninotchka (#36)
12. The 39 Steps (#13)
13. Frankenstein (#19)
14 Horse Feathers (#51)
15. A Night at the Opera (#27)
16. The Invisible Man (#30)
17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
19. The Awful Truth (#60)
20. Vampyr (#24)
21. My Man Godfrey (#31)
23. Fury (#68)
25. City Girl (#74)

I'd said earlier that I haven't seen a Jean Renoir film, so that leaves out La Grande Illusion on my list. And I didn't place The 39 Steps either as I hadn't seen it since I was very young and didn't have time to re-watch it.

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#9 King Kong (16)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#11 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (17)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)
#23 The Roaring Twenties (21)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
La Grande Illusion Trivia from IMDb

Joseph Goebbels made sure that the film's print was one of the first things seized by the Germans when they occupied France. He referred to Jean Renoir as "Cinematic Public Enemy Number 1". For many years it was assumed that the film had been destroyed in an Allied air raid in 1942. However, a German film archivist named Frank Hansel, then a Nazi officer in Paris, had actually smuggled it back to Berlin. Then when the Russians entered Berlin in 1945, the film found its way to an archive in Moscow. When Renoir came to restore his film in the 1960s, he knew nothing of Hansel's acquisition and was working from an old muddy print. Purely by coincidence at the same time, the Russian archive swapped some material with an archive in Toulouse. Included in that exchange was the original negative print. However, because so many prints of the film existed at the time, it would be another 30 years before anyone realised that the version in Toulouse was actually the original negative.

La Grande Illusion Trivia from IMDb

Joseph Goebbels made sure that the film's print was one of the first things seized by the Germans when they occupied France. He referred to Jean Renoir as "Cinematic Public Enemy Number 1". For many years it was assumed that the film had been destroyed in an Allied air raid in 1942. However, a German film archivist named Frank Hansel, then a Nazi officer in Paris, had actually smuggled it back to Berlin. Then when the Russians entered Berlin in 1945, the film found its way to an archive in Moscow. When Renoir came to restore his film in the 1960s, he knew nothing of Hansel's acquisition and was working from an old muddy print. Purely by coincidence at the same time, the Russian archive swapped some material with an archive in Toulouse. Included in that exchange was the original negative print. However, because so many prints of the film existed at the time, it would be another 30 years before anyone realised that the version in Toulouse was actually the original negative.
Wow, just think the original negative was almost lost forever. Films done from the original negative look so much better than ones restored from old prints. It's sad that so many early films have been lost for good.

I've probably seen Duck Soup sometime in the past, but don't remember it, so didn't make my list. Generally I like the Marx Brothers and so do you guys! I believe that was 3 of their films that made the countdown so far.

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang, has to be the longest title on the countdown. It was another 30s HoF nomination. Good film! but my list was full so I had to cut it to make 25. Still glad it made the countdown.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's definitely Chain Gang no doubt.
Limite (1931)

But I actually meant some other flicks. Not from the 30s.

Didn't watch Duck Soup as there was no copy readily available to me but based on the other Marx Bros. fare I watched it's highly unlikely I would have voted for it anyway. I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang was in the second 30s HOF, an enjoyable enough watch with a great ending but not good enough overall to make my ballot.

Seen: 61/90
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
10. 20,000 Years In Sing Sing

Duck Soup is considered The Marx Brothers at their complete and absolute bedlam and, rightfully, belongs at the top of the Marx Brothers' heap. With Night at the Opera on my list, I was unable to include this.

I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

"How will you l ive?
"I steal."

A great ending scene to this nomination. As Muni's character disappears in the fade out and the final line is heard in the darkness.

I don't know if it is simply a very well done job by the filmmakers or that I know this is from a true-life experience that brings the full weight of the gravitas to my watching experience. Regardless, the effect of it and Muni's tangible fear when he's on the run and all that he goes through, definitely did its job on me.
I have read on other reviews on how the second escape wasn't as exciting as the first; and while I can see what they mean regarding the tension that pulsated in the first, the second did have a great little car chase to it. Loved the fishtailing of the pursuing guards down the dirt roads.

I can very easily imagine the impact this film had at the time of its release and the studio's concern of the, then current codes, of the time in regards to what was allowed to be filmed and how. Still, they did an excellent job in both the chain gang and the life it entailed along with the fear of trying to stay out of the grip of the long arm of the law and simply have a life. Not to mention the hard-nosed mentality of the state that ran the chain gang.

I have never gotten to see this film in its entirety and thankfully, I have now.
A great film that was unable to fit into my list.

With us about to hit the top ten, I'll include the occasional film that won't be on this list.

Watched 57/90 (63.3%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) A childhood favorite I don't see making it
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Dawn Patrol (Didn't Make It)

25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Fugitive from a Chain Gang is high on my to do list right now since I want to get through a bunch of 1930's movies. I haven't seen any that I'd put in my top 30 yet.