Garden State

→ in
Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Garden State was was ok. Since my husband lost both parents within two years of each other...both leavng unresolved issues...this movie was dissapointing on the the score of the father/son relationship. It could have been more powerful if it had dealt more with the father and son relationship. I think how their relationship evolved by the end was thrown together. And the love relationship....I dunno...ehh. I liked the actor but the character could have been deeper...actually the movie could have been deeper instead of pretending to be.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I just rented and watched it the other day. I don't think its trying too hard at ALL. i think its really good. it seems to flow naturally. Natalie Portman and Zach Braff both did really good jobs. the only part that just didn't DO it for me was the same part Yoda mentioned, the talk with his dad. the movie starts out focused on him and HIS family, then you get lead off into a different direction, and when they finally come back to it, that scene was just....eh. i found myself getting distracted.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Never will there be a movie that lives up to what it did. Every other movie is crap compared to the routes that Garden State took.

Zach Braff had it laid out completely. In many other movies when guy meets girl, guy ****s girl the same night. For anyone who doesn't believe this, please exit this window and never ever resume to use the internet.

The tone that it took in defining his life was amazing. The trips and adventures they took showed the true meaning of friendship. It's not having the same interest in every little single thing, it's just relating...one way or another.

It was also great when Sam and Andrew got intimate that everytime there was a flook, they didn't come back and rejoice with that pathetic little kiss. Instead they hugged. ****, when someones in pain you don't kiss them. <<<just forget I mentioned that.

I'm pretty sure Zach Braff laid this movie out with lots of thought and it delivered, in my mind anyways. It stands next to movies like Fight Club, which said to get out there and do whatever you want. This movie basically said you won't be happy until you're actually happy <<<yes I used happy twice, but it makes sense if you think about it.

Contender
This is the kind of movie that gets slammed by some people for being too slow, but that's what I like about it. The pace allows Braff to develop the characters bit by bit. He lets us find out about them by ourselves, instead of just telling you who they are, what they do, etc. It's one of those movies you can love for it's faults and it's triumphs. I give it an A-.

PS: The soundtrack is kickass.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Just watched it again on DVD, and I have to admit, it wasn't as good second time round. It felt a little too sentimental and schmolzy this time, but I remember loving it when I saw it in the cinema.
I think Zach Braff is trying too hard to distance himself from his Scrubs character JD, obviously he doesn't want to be typecasted, but I found some of his scenes a little hard to believe.
IMO it was a brave decision by him, I do like the film, there are some very funny moments, its well acted and the soundtrack is great, and for a first effort he deserves a lot of praise for a bold and thought provoking film.

Rating 4/5.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Movie Forums Member
Hmm, lets think about this movie being thought provoking. I would have to dissagree with the bulk of reviews on this movie. I felt this movie was tasteless and went no where. Natalie Portman was good, but her acting does not save this movie. The movie went from nothing to nothing. I don't see how a movie like this can entertain anyone. While watching it I cared little about the characters and would have been happy to seen a sad ending, which would have at least gave the movie a genuine theme. However, there was a happy ending, which was much similar to the demise of War of the Worlds. I would have to say that movies meant to be dramatic and say something about life must have the audience care. This movie isn't entertaining either, it is very slow and at points I even had to fast foward. Movies in this genre are genuinely intriguing, but these movies have acceptable endings. As for character development, that didn't happen. The main character was an emotionless brick the whole movie, this may have been due to the lack of any acting skill on behalf of Braff. I'd say, if you like Natalie Portman, and want to see her in one of her more serious roles, check this out, but do not expect this to be a work of art or a movie that serves to teach a lesson. Instead this movie is dull and just imitates someones everyday boring life. I give this a B-.

I thought this film was excellent. Very accomplished IMO for a first timer.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
[quote=dolarhydecb]The main character was an emotionless brick the whole movie, this may have been due to the lack of any acting skill on behalf of Braff.

Think you kinda missed the whole point, Zach Braff was an emotionless brick because of his pre-scribed meds, that was the main point, dealing with his life without the meds and being able to feel real emotion again.
Sure this movie is not everyone's cup of tea, but people read different meanings into different things, and perhaps you were expecting Braff to be in some thing more similar to Scrubs. This movie is multi-layered, he is dealing with being off meds, his estranged relationship with his father, the death of his mother, old friends and their lives, and the possability of true love.
Don't get me wrong, there are flaws in this film, but IMO it is a subtle piece of filmaking from a first time director, thankfully he doesn't allow the film to get too melodramatic and the relationship with his father is left ambigious rather than the normal schmolze hollywood fare.
Zach Braff is not the greatest actor, but in general I thought he handled Garden State pretty well, I look forward to see where he goes from here.

Movie Forums Member
[quote=Darth Stujitzu]
Originally Posted by dolarhydecb
The main character was an emotionless brick the whole movie, this may have been due to the lack of any acting skill on behalf of Braff.

Think you kinda missed the whole point, Zach Braff was an emotionless brick because of his pre-scribed meds, that was the main point, dealing with his life without the meds and being able to feel real emotion again.
Sure this movie is not everyone's cup of tea, but people read different meanings into different things, and perhaps you were expecting Braff to be in some thing more similar to Scrubs. This movie is multi-layered, he is dealing with being off meds, his estranged relationship with his father, the death of his mother, old friends and their lives, and the possability of true love.
Don't get me wrong, there are flaws in this film, but IMO it is a subtle piece of filmaking from a first time director, thankfully he doesn't allow the film to get too melodramatic and the relationship with his father is left ambigious rather than the normal schmolze hollywood fare.
Zach Braff is not the greatest actor, but in general I thought he handled Garden State pretty well, I look forward to see where he goes from here.
Wait wait, I got that he was on drugs from his psychiatrist dad the whole time, and that he got off of them at some point, which was the first time for like 20 years or something. I just thought that it was like blah. I didn't really think his acting transition was really that great either, if it even existed. I also would have liked to see something happen with his father, more family, less of girlfriend thing, which IMO is somewhat unimportant. The movie to me just didn't really go anywhere, didn't really end and was just a big nothingness. I guess to an existentialist this would be kinda cool, but I could not really mold out the movies purpose (Maybe there wasn't one and that's the problem I have)

mle
this movie was great, I loved how different it was. I love the guy from scrubs so I really liked it

I actually rented this on Friday. Wasn't really all that special to me. Very disappointed with the ending.

I thought that it had a couple of laugh out loud moments but equally - I didn't get some of it.

Whather it was because they weren't funny or because I'm not American, I'm not sure...

Ed (MobileHQ)

Bad Morther****er
I loved this movie. It is great for what it is, a directorial debut with a young cast. I thought it made some very good points. As far as the characters, I felt something for them. Maybe it's the fact that I, in some ways, am going or are going through some of the same things as them. As far as the movie being entertaining, to each his own. I thought it was funny as hell. I lauged out loud quite a bit. I can understand how some people may not find it as funny as I did. Lord knows that there ar a few movies I haven't found funny which have gotten good reviews, or are well received by fans.

The movie has its flaws. Isn't that to be expected from a first effort? I can't think of a debut that doesn't have some rough edges. Overall, I think the film shows that Braff has some real promiseas a director, maybe not so much as a dramatic actor. It was a good start and I look forward to see what will come next.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

I thought this film was very self conscious and too self aware. I suppose if I was 18 and hadn't seen many art films I would have enjoyed it more.

Neutral Milk Hotel
When I saw the trailer I thought of it as "OO Another film like Eternal Sunshine!" adn i love those type of art films, and in all honesty I feel this movie succeded in the art categorie and every other categorie. It was a great Drama with a wonderfull message which also had great comedy. What more could you ask from a film? I think this movie will always be on my top ten list if not my top 5.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

You want to post like me?
I was amazed how life affirming this turned out to be. It all seemed really grim and depressing for the first twenty minutes or so. Starting out with an air of indifference in a falling plain, pill bottles, a mother's funeral, old friends that have fallen into or maintained a lifestyle with drugs the whole thing didn't bode well with me -enter Natalie Portman, which did for the movie what she did for Andrew. I really dug the writing, especially the dialogue between Andrew and Sam and even though objectively I could see that some of it was kind of forced, I didn't really mind. Same thing with the plane crash; it's highly unlikely that Andrew would dream something that close to reality (I think it was even the same woman sitting next to him) but I realize why Braff wrote it like that and it still worked for some reason. You think he's going to die a meaningless death like his mother did. It was just one of those freak things.
The scene with the dad was anticlimactic and kind of unrealistic but to me that was a minor thing. I expected something horrible from the grave robbing friend which name eludes me now, but it was immensely satisfying to discover that even though he was kind of messed up he was a good guy beneath it all and that kind of made up for the scene with the dad, I thought.