My 20 Favorite Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Reviews: Some entries will have small or more writing with quotes. I may have a few words in the reviews repeated, but what should matter anyways that I'm atleast telling you that I liked the movie.

Rankings: 20-6 is in a random order after that it's ranked solid.

I hope you all enjoy the list

I Spit on Your Grave Remake (2010)

This is definitely a guilty pleasure movie for me for sure and this movie is not for everyone since it's got some brutal and graphic scenes. The movie has some flaws like some other movies do but I say just use your imagination for the scenes that leave you in for questioning.

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned."

Freddy v.s Jason (2003)

Seeing two iconic slashers battle each other to the death was great and a cool movie to watch.

"Man, screw that clown. I mean, what kind of a pussy comes after you in your dreams anyway? Now, that, that big-ass mother f*cker back at the cornfield, all right, that's who we should be afraid of. Tell me who the f*ck that was."

I'll post four more movies later

My next 4 entries is all about Horror Comedy which is my favorite in the horror genre.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

A funny movie horror comedy movie about two hillbillies that are mistaken by a group of college students that they think they are hillbilly murderers.

"I should have known, a guy like me, talking to a girl like you, it would end at somebody being dead."

The Final Girls (2015)

This movie was surprisingly good and a few laughs along the way in this horror/comedy camp slasher movie.

“Oooh, I love legends! Loch Ness, Bigfoot, Bon Jovi... all of 'em!”

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Zombie comedy movies are always fun and exciting to watch, just like this one.

"We take Pete's car, we drive over to Mum's, we go in, take care of Philip - "I'm so sorry, Philip" - then we grab Mum, we go over to Liz's place, hole up, have a cup of tea and wait for this whole thing to blow over."

Zombieland (2009)

One of the best things about the horror genre is when there's comedy in it with loads of zombie killing fun. The cast did a fantastic job with this movie and wishing the movie was a little more longer because I found them interesting to watch as they explore the zombie apocalypse world.

"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."

I'll post 4 more tomorrow

Your Next (2011)

A cool and bloody home invasion survival film with the movie adding in some crime and comedy elements in it as well, which is a nice touch.

Scream 4 (2011)

Imo, the best sequel in the series and the beginning, middle and end was all a pleasure to watch and this series seems to never disappoint me as they gives more bumps on other horror movies because how lame they are.

"You forgot the one rule of a remake, Don't f*ck with the original."

Friday the 13th Remake (2009)

This was a great remake and liked it over the original and atleast in this one we get to see Jason as the killer this time.

"Do you know how many lakes are probably called Crystal Lake? It's like Crystal Geyser, Crystal Water. Go to a supermarket. Every single bottled water is named "Crystal" something."

Halloween (2018)

This movie was a great follow up to the original and was enjoyable to watch. I think it was the best move by the creators of the movie to ignore the rest of the sequels and just start off fresh. Also I like how Michael is just this cold blooded killer and not needing a brain examination on why he's this way, want to know why he really does it, because he can.

"We're here to investigate a patient that killed three innocent teenagers on Halloween, 1978. He was shot by his own psychiatrist and taken into custody that night, and has spent the last forty years in captivity."

Carrie (1976)

The only movie that I liked from Stephen King, the rest of his movies I didn't care for. What I found special about this one is, it's about a girl being tormented by high school bullies and getting her revenge on them and also showing how creepy this movie was.

"They're all gonna laugh at you."

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

No matter how weird this movie was, it was cool to see some dream land killer(Freddy) hide and try to kill people in their dreams. Once he's pulled out of the dream, he's no longer powerful and getting his a*s handed by a chick is was fun to watch.

"One, two, Freddy's coming for you. / Three, four, better lock your door. / Five, six, grab your crucifix. / Seven, eight, gonna stay up late. / Nine, ten, never sleep again."

Fright Night Remake (2011)

I think DreamWorks did a good job making this movie and one of the good horror remakes out there, imo. When seeing Walt Disney Studios was involved with the movie, I thought it was going to suck despite on what Walt Disney is mostly centered around which is more of a kid friendly movie environment.

"That's fiction, okay. This is real. He's a real monster and he's not brooding, or lovesick, or noble. He's the f**king shark from Jaws. He kills, he feeds, and he doesn't stop until everybody around him is dead. And I seriously am so angry you think I read Twilight."

Final Destination 5 (2011)

A guilty pleasure movie of mines which I enjoyed and also liked the other movies in the series as well. While watching these films I find it interesting and entertaining to see how these main characters of each movies try to cheat death and seeing how some die so gruesomely.

"Death... doesn't like to be cheated."

Resident Evil (2002)

As much as I love the games, It's nice they started off with a fresh new character but I think they should of stuck with the video game characters. This movie was a good and fun one to watch.

"You're all going to die down here."

The final 5 will be on here tomorrow

The Purge 2: Anarchy (2014)

This movie is more of a guilty pleasure movie that I enjoyed and hopefully this cruel purge event is never a real thing that is introduced in the real world. They seemed to get really creative with the masks in the movies, very scary looking and also liked the America the beautiful remix they did for this movie, it sounds creepy for sure.

"This is the Emergency Broadcast System announcing the commencement of the annual purge. At the siren, all emergency services will be suspended for 12 hours. Your government thanks you for your participation."

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
This was one of my favorite Jason movies out of the whole series and what a great way to end series despite on how it ended, if they hadn't keep going making more movies. The kills in this movie were great with a cool ending as well.

"Hey, Ted, where's that corkscrew? You know that fancy corkscrew for the wine bottle? Ted. Ted? TED! HEY, TED, where the hell is the corkscrew?"

Happy Death Day (2017)

An interesting movie about this young female stuck in a time warp and being stalked by this killer and in order to survive, she must track down the killer before she gets killed again. The actress the plays the lead role does a good job making the film a fun one to watch in and the second film was a delight as well.

“I can't change what I've done, but I can start trying to be a better person today.”

Halloween (1978)

A great horror slasher that was made in the 70's and there was something about this movie I really liked about it maybe because of how interesting it was. A masked psycho killer stalking and killing babysitters for no apparent reason, now that's a creepy thing to see.

"It's Halloween; everyone's entitled to one good scare."

Scream (1996)

The horror series that started to re-vive the horror genre and does an awesome job on making this a thrilling and funny teenage horror movie. This movie pretty much gives the other horror slasher movies a slap on the side of the head for being dumb and showing us on how it should be done when surviving a horror movie, but making some silly mistakes along the way.

"Never say you'll be right back, because you won't be right back"

The movies that I would like to mention that didn't make it on the list. Also thought were good in some way.

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Friday the 13th Part 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 (1980-1988)
Halloween 2,4,6,7 (1981-1998)
The Lost Boys (1987)
From Dusk Til Dawn (1996)
I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
Scream 2,3 (1997-2000)
Urban Legend (1998)
American Psycho (2000)
Final Destination 1,2,3,4 (2000 - 2009)
Dawn of the Dead Remake (2004)
Resident Evil 2,3,4,5 (2004- 2016)
Cursed (2005)
Resident Evil Animated Films (2008-2017)
Jennifer's Body (2009)
The Purge 3 (2016)
Happy Death Day 2 (2019)
Ready or Not (2019)
Zombieland 2 (2019)

I hope you guys liked my list

Unfortunately I couldn't comment much on this list since I've seen only 1 of the 20... Scream! Which I love, so great taste hahaha.

I can say one thing and that’s that the list sure is interesting. Huge props for having a very distinctive taste. This list definitely doesn’t look like everyone else’s. That’s nice. Okay the very top may be similar but a lot of these movies surprise me. I do like a lot of the movies here though, even the odd ones out.

Nosferatu (silent version)
Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde - John Barrymore
Phantom of the Opera - Chaney
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Jaws (considered a horror flick)
The Invisible Man
Psycho
The Conjuring 2
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Omen
The Exorcist
The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price)
The Haunting (original)
Metropolis
Silver Bullet
Black Cat (Lugosi)
Creepshow
Twilight Zone-The Movie
House of Dark Shadows
Halloween

Good list. There are a few I enjoy. I am a huge fan of horror and my #1 is The Wicker Man (1973) but I really don't consider it a horror film. The human sacrifice doesn't bother me like it may others.

Carrie is a great flick. I can never watch the end, I always stop watching at the one point.. just too freaky I guess.

I enjoy a lot of Blumhouse horror and I always say "If only the Purge was real."

I like independent horror too.. especially the "August Underground" series.

I enjoy foreign horror. "Sauna" from Finland is a favorite as well as "Thale" and "Skjult" from Norway. "Zwart water" from the Netherlands and "Sennetuntsche" from Switzerland. "Nekromantik" from Germany and "Taxidermia" from Hungary. "Niku Daruma" from Japan.

Watching Grudge and Ring was a game-changer for me! I never watched any horror movies after those.
But I like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. To me, these are more like thrilled movies than horror.