When The Public Imitates Movies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Although it is often reported that A Clockwork Orange was 'banned' in the United Kingdom, the removal of the movie was actually Kubrick's own choice. … The association of real-world acts of violence with the movie was deeply upsetting for Kubrick, and he decided to pull A Clockwork Orange from the British market.

Can you think of any other examples?

Bad Lieutenant was banned in Ireland because of "demeaning treatment of women", both on theaters and 10 years later on DVD. I believe it was also banned in another country I can't remember the name because of that scene where the heroin user advocate, Zoë Lund, who actually directed most of the movie because Abel Ferrara was on heavy drugs, anyway, the scene where she injects the heroin, for some reason they fond it too real.

Natural Born Killers, if I recall. And most recently, The Hunt faced a major release delay, and made that fact a huge part of its recent marketing campaign once it did come out.

One of the earliest examples of the impact on public behavior was from It Happened One Night. In the motel scene, Clark Gable undressed, revealing he wasn't wearing an undershirt. Undershirt sales reportedly declined 40-45% in the year following the film's debut.

I read that "The Warriors" led to many fights IN the theaters.
I was going to mention that. When The Warriors first came out some gang fighting did erupt at theaters. After a very short time due to the fear of future problems it was pulled from theaters. I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen before it got pulled. Luckily the audience was calm...but I could feel the excitement that the film generated.

I remember reading that after the release of the 1958 film Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, the sale of white slips went through the roof after witnessing Elizabeth Taylor wearing one. I also heard that after the release of 1976's All The President's Men, the number of journalism majors in US colleges tripled.

I was going to mention that. When The Warriors first came out some gang fighting did erupt at theaters. After a very short time due to the fear of future problems it was pulled from theaters. I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen before it got pulled. Luckily the audience was calm...but I could feel the excitement that the film generated.

I almost saw that movie a week ago... I tried once before during the 70s HOF, but couldn't get into it.

1993's The Program had a scene that inspired teenagers in the US to lie in the middle of the road as a test of bravery, causing one death and a number of serious injuries. This led to the scene in question being edited out of the VHS release and almost all subsequent releases worldwide, though it is on YouTube.

Not a movie, but on the TV show Mr. Robot the lead character is described as:
a brilliant but highly unstable young cyber-security engineer and vigilante hacker, becomes a key figure in a complex game of global dominance when he and his shadowy allies try to take down the corrupt corporation he works for.
He uses Kali Linux for his cyber exploits and reportedly thanks to Mr Robot, Linux and specifically Kali has become much more popular.

A bucket of anxiety
1993's The Program had a scene that inspired teenagers in the US to lie in the middle of the road as a test of bravery, causing one death and a number of serious injuries. This led to the scene in question being edited out of the VHS release and almost all subsequent releases worldwide, though it is on YouTube.
Took the one I was going to mention. My mom told me about that one.