Old movie about a girl become a sing and dance star

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
I think I was cleaning the house when this came on, but there was an old 50s or 60s movie playing where a young girl with blonde hair says she wants to be a dancer. So she travels around on a carriage with her mother to do small shows for people. A scene of note is when in one of the shows, the men are making a bunch of noise while she's singing so she gets their attention by changing into a skimpier (yellow) dress. It was a kind of dress that showed her legs and it was funny to me how by today's standards she was dressed quite tastefully but of course it's an older film so the mother was yelling at her to cover herself but she just kept performing. Like I said, I was cleaning so I had to leave the TV on occasion. I came back and later on in the film she was very successful, dancing in a fancy hall with men in tuxes. I also remember that there was a subplot with a man she was dating. It at first seems like he's going to betray her in some way because he's way older than her, but they actually have a genuine relationship. I also remember that at the beginning there was a problem with the girl's father who had a gambling problem and I think that was a part of the influence for the girl's decisions because she didn't want to marry a rich guy and call it a day to help her family with their financial problems. Either that or I'm getting it mixed up with another movie. I think it was aired on AMC or one of those channels that show old movies.

Made me think of the movie little voice. But that movie isn’t that old.

I think I was cleaning the house when this came on, but there was an old 50s or 60s movie playing where a young girl with blonde hair says she wants to be a dancer. So she travels around on a carriage with her mother to do small shows for people. A scene of note is when in one of the shows, the men are making a bunch of noise while she's singing so she gets their attention by changing into a skimpier (yellow) dress. It was a kind of dress that showed her legs and it was funny to me how by today's standards she was dressed quite tastefully but of course it's an older film so the mother was yelling at her to cover herself but she just kept performing. Like I said, I was cleaning so I had to leave the TV on occasion. I came back and later on in the film she was very successful, dancing in a fancy hall with men in tuxes. I also remember that there was a subplot with a man she was dating. It at first seems like he's going to betray her in some way because he's way older than her, but they actually have a genuine relationship. I also remember that at the beginning there was a problem with the girl's father who had a gambling problem and I think that was a part of the influence for the girl's decisions because she didn't want to marry a rich guy and call it a day to help her family with their financial problems. Either that or I'm getting it mixed up with another movie. I think it was aired on AMC or one of those channels that show old movies.
What was the time frame that the movie was set in? Was it a western? or set in the modern day (the time when the movie was made) Were there cars in it? Was it in color?

A bucket of anxiety
What was the time frame that the movie was set in? Was it a western? or set in the modern day (the time when the movie was made) Were there cars in it? Was it in color?
I'm not sure where it was set, especially because I was watching pieces at a time. The movie was in color. I remember them traveling in horse and carriage on a dusty road. I don't remember any car scenes.

Crucial detail: is it a Musical? Gypsy?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra