American Hustle
0%
0 votes
House at the End of the Street
14.71%
5 votes
Other
34 votes. You may not vote on this poll

If you think Silver Linings Playbook is a better movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color, I think you're completely out to lunch.
What is all the flapdoodle over Blue? I loved Silver Linings & can’t even recall who is in Blue. If I ever knew.

The trick is not minding
I don't understand how you can consider Silver Linings Playbook a better romantic movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color.

Silver Linings Playbook won Jennifer Lawrence an Academy Award for Best Actress, Blue Is the Warmest Color was the first movie to ever win the Palme d'Or for both Best Director and Best Actress. The Palme d'Or is widely considered the most prestigious award in cinema. Blue is the Warmest Color literally made history. It's not even a contest. If you think Silver Linings Playbook is a better movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color, I think you're completely out to lunch.
Not sure why awards must be used as a criteria here.
It is possible to disagree about a film, and maybe enjoy one film over another without having to condemn them. Different tastes and all that.
Blue is the warmest color is a film I’ve been wanting to see for so long now, I’m practically excited for it. I plan on seeing it this week.

Welcome to the human race...
So what? I've seen Star Wars more than 25 times, and I consider the greatest film I've ever seen to be The Passion of Joan of Arc which I've only seen once. Star Wars is barely clinging on to my top 100. There is no correlation to the amount of times we watch things, or how much we personally enjoy things, with how objectively good they are.

Edit: I shouldn't say "no correlation," there is some correlation, but there isn't necessarily a direct correlation.
Nor is there necessarily a correlation between quality and awards, even the most prestigious ones. After all, Portrait did manage to pick up awards at Cannes as well by winning Best Screenplay and the Queer Palm (interestingly enough, Blue did not win the latter, plus Sciamma is the first woman to ever win the award so she "literally made history" as well). It may not have won the Palme d'Or itself, but it was up against Parasite - I doubt Blue would have beaten that either.

You ready? You look ready.
Unpopular opinion: Lawrence is an overrated bore.

Sure, Winter’s Bone was good, but I haven’t been impressed with any of her work since then. I can’t rewatch The Hunger Games because I had enough of her the first time around, and I’m so glad she won’t be playing Mystique anymore.

She’s one of those actresses that hits it big when she’s young, goes on to bring in billions of dollars, but her acting doesn’t improve. Like honestly, she brings the same acting in everything.

She reminds me a lot of Kristen Stewart and Scarlett Johansson.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I don't understand how you can consider Silver Linings Playbook a better romantic movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color.

Silver Linings Playbook won Jennifer Lawrence an Academy Award for Best Actress, Blue Is the Warmest Color was the first movie to ever win the Palme d'Or for both Best Director and Best Actress. The Palme d'Or is widely considered the most prestigious award in cinema. Blue is the Warmest Color literally made history. It's not even a contest. If you think Silver Linings Playbook is a better movie than Blue Is the Warmest Color, I think you're completely out to lunch.
Whoa there buddy. I think they're both great I just prefer Silver Linings.....if that's ok with you?

I think Batman Begins is better than the Dark Knight too and TDK won the awards and acclaim.

Nor is there necessarily a correlation between quality and awards, even the most prestigious ones. After all, Portrait did manage to pick up awards at Cannes as well by winning Best Screenplay and the Queer Palm (interestingly enough, Blue did not win the latter, plus Sciamma is the first woman to ever win the award so she "literally made history" as well). It may not have won the Palme d'Or itself, but it was up against Parasite - I doubt Blue would have beaten that either.
(Edited)

Fair point, and that is interesting food for thought. I'll have to see it for myself to judge, but so far I'm honestly not all that tempted. At least you put it on my radar.

I think there is necessarily a correlation though, not necessarily a direct correlation, but not just any movie can win any award. I'm not trying to split hairs either, I think it's an important distinction.

Although, I do think Blue Is the Warmest Color is a better film than Parasite and could have easily won the Palme d'Or over it. I could also see Parasite winning, but I just wouldn't agree with the judges on that if it did.

Whoa there buddy. I think they're both great I just prefer Silver Linings.....if that's ok with you?
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm totally find with people liking whatever they like. I may not consider it good taste, but I'm not going to tell another person what to like. It's when you say a movie is better than another movie as if it's a fact that I may be interested in contesting. I do think Silver Linings Playbook was a good movie, but I'm interested in debunking the notion if you think it's top tier.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm totally find with people liking whatever they like. I may not consider it good taste, but I'm not going to tell another person what to like. It's when you say a movie is better than another movie as if it's a fact that I may be interested in contesting. I do think Silver Linings Playbook was a good movie, but I'm interested in debunking the notion if you think it's top tier.
There are no facts in situations like this, even if I leave out words like "I think", if I make a statement like "Pepsi is waaaaaay better than Coke", it's all just opinion, even if I say "Pepsi is waaaayyyyyy better than Coke and that's a fact" it's still really all just my own opinion.

think it's top tier
It's sounds very much as if it's you who can't handle those with differing opinions from your own, and the very idea that a Hollywood production might actually be better than an artsy award winning European film in the eyes of some people is something you're struggling with.

Silver Linings is better than Blue.....

Welcome to the human race...
(Edited)

Fair point, and that is interesting food for thought. I'll have to see it for myself to judge, but so far I'm honestly not all that tempted. At least you put it on my radar.

I think there is necessarily a correlation though, not necessarily a direct correlation, but not just any movie can win any award. I'm not trying to split hairs either, I think it's an important distinction.

Although, I do think Blue Is the Warmest Color is a better film than Parasite and could have easily won the Palme d'Or over it. I could also see Parasite winning, but I just wouldn't agree with the judges on that if it did.
In the end, all I really ask is that you give it a fair chance. I'm not even going to push the question of whether or not one film is better than the other for the moment.

There are no facts in situations like this.
And yet you make matter-of-fact statements about which movies you think are better or worse.

Even if I leave out words like "I think", if I make a statement like "Pepsi is waaaaaay better than Coke", it's all just opinion, even if I say "Pepsi is waaaayyyyyy better than Coke and that's a fact" it's still really all just my own opinion.
Regardless, "Pepsi is better than Coke," is still a matter-of-fact statement. It implies that the author consider's it a fact, rightly or wrongly. If you don't give any context letting readers know that you're really just talking about your personal preference, then you can't blame the reader for interpreting what you write as it's written. I don't share your world-view, so I'm not beholden to it. I have my own values and beliefs on the subject. But all I said was that I may contest it if you say it as if it's a fact, that has nothing to do with whether it even actually is a fact or not. So I think you completely missed the point I was making because you responded as if I didn't use the words, "as if." But I guess you don't put that much importance on word selection. Most people are like that, so I get it, but it is a bit annoying when a debate devolves out of misinterpretation rather than actual disagreement. I don't think I want to continue talking with you, but I felt these things should at least be addressed. I respond to these on a forum because I feel legitimate arguments should be addressed for everyone reading. The ideas themselves are pitted against each other for everyone to see in spite of the people arguing them.

It's sounds very much as if it's you who can't handle those with differing opinions from your own, and the very idea that a Hollywood production might actually be better than an artsy award winning European film in the eyes of some people is something you're struggling with.
Why do you say this? Are you just trying to insult me now? If you can't be respectful then I'm done talking to you.

In the end, all I really ask is that you give it a fair chance. I'm not even going to push the question of whether or not one film is better than the other for the moment.
Yeah, I'll give it a shot, especially if you insist that it's that good. Don't know when I'll get around to it though. After I'm done watching Westerns I'll probably make it the fourth or fifth movie I watch.

The trick is not minding
Oh the irony. Someone who once took the exact opposite position against me is now acting insulted because his high minded view of a film is being challenged.
It’s almost verbatim.
It’s also very comical.

The trick is not minding
Yet if we question a movie you feel is amazing, you lose your mind. (Slight hyperbole).
See: the time you got defensive over someone not liking There Will Be Blood.
This is just hypocrisy.

The trick is not minding
Regardless, they’re fair points. But apparently you’re the only one can make a remark about a person (see: “you’re completely out to lunch” comment which itself was an ad hominem).
When someone challenges your behavior, man do you Hide behind ad hominem as if it’s some shield.
Oh well.

Seems like 90% of this (and similar exchanges) is just "someone stated an opinion in a stark-sounding way and I don't like that opinion so I'm going to pointedly remind them it's just an opinion." I'm not sure how productive or necessary that is, in either direction. There's no reason to try to enhance a subjective opinion by making it sound like a proclamation, and there's not much reason to call that out, either. Unless you just wanna argue.

I'm not going to take the bait Wyldesyde19. You're making ad hominem's, so please stop.
No I didn’t, with the exception of the hypocrisy line.
Just pointing out your inconsistencies.
According to Merriam-Webster, "Definition of ad hominem. 1 : appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect. 2 : marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made"

Yet if we question a movie you feel is amazing, you lose your mind. (Slight hyperbole).
Here you are focusing on how you feel about the way I respond when someone, "question(s) a movie (I) feel is amazing." A logical argument would have sought to disprove what I actually said in response to said criticism, rather than choosing to focus on an aspect of my personal character. Because if my argument is wrong then there is a legitimate refutation, and if my argument is correct then there isn't. If there isn't a legitimate refutation then you would need to resort to something exterior of my argument, say my character, in order to divert from the actual argument because you can't refute it. So the very fact that you're going after my character instead of my argument suggests my argument is correct, in which case your criticism of my character also fails to have merit.

See: the time you got defensive over someone not liking There Will Be Blood.
This is just hypocrisy.
Another ad hominem which failed to address anything I actually said about There Will Be Blood, and did not address the real reason I was "upset" with the other person I was talking to. For one, the conversation had nothing to do with you and was none of your business, and there was history that you weren't aware of. So you didn't understand the context and thought it looked like I was being defensive, but I wasn't.

Oh the irony. Someone who once took the exact opposite position against me is now acting insulted because his high minded view of a film is being challenged.
Another ad hominem which failed to address any point that I actually made and falsely accuses me of "feeling" insulted. I don't "feel" insulted. I'm not offended by what he said because I don't think it had any merit. But I do think he was literally trying to insult me. Regardless, that's for him to explain if he wants to, and doesn't concern you.

All three of these comments were asserted, unsubstantiated, and blatantly false. These are tactics to evade arguments.

The only reason I'm responding now, after saying I wasn't going to take the bait, is to make an effort to put this to rest. I will try not to prolong an argument about it further, unless I feel something that needs to be addressed is said. But I would like to not continue arguing further. It's steering the thread off topic. I didn't really want to say all of this, but you keep bringing it up and I just wanted to put it to rest. I'm not going to let myself get heated, and I know how Yoda feels when these quarrels happen. I want things to stay civil and peaceful and just go back to focusing on the purpose of the thread, which is about Jennifer Lawrence. Can we please put our personal differences aside?

The trick is not minding
Yep. I did delete that earlier comment because it was ad hominem, I was being disingenuous. So I deleted it.*
As for the rest?
Look, I’m not going to argue your points because they’re mostly evasions of the truth where you conveniently ignore your past ad hominem remarks in several of the past posts. How convenient.
Anyways, I don’t want Yoda to lecture me (I can feel his angry glare as we type)
So I’ll let this go. Please don’t respond.