Time Travel NEW Theory

Tools    





Originally Posted by gummo
You can time travel using astral-projection....
True. But in saying that we are leaving the realm of science, and entering the spiritual realm.

My friend has asked me if a certain senario is possible using these rules. Just imagine a time traveller reads the paper the day he is to test is new time travel devise. In the paper reads many articles of pain death, even a man getting hit by a bus... he thinks it would be good to go back and save these people when he travels back in time.

But time comes to test his new machine when he makes the leap successfully back about a day... and upon landing in his new timecode -1 day gets hit by a bus. This makes him the same guy to get hit by a bus he read about in the paper.

Is this possible?
__________________
The only man who can decode the Complex Tapestry of Femanine Emotion!



OK I get it, that sounds interesting! However, most newspapers would state the person's name that was hit by a bus...

plus, if he goes back in time and then gets hit by the bus, then the whole scenario of him reading the newspaper would not exist...but, if he travels ahead in time, before being hit by the bus and reads this newspaper, then he could go back in time and save himself. But this wold totally change the whole plot and also, you stated that you can't travel ahead in time...lol If names are stated in the paper, he would know not to go back and try to save anybody because it is actually him who gets hit...does this make sense??? at all???



Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by Equilibrium
This topic was covered already by John Titor in his explorations of time. He states that his time machine had a gravity sensor that allowed it to move back in time and only attached itself to an object with the same gravitational force as the Earth's..Since the earth is the only planet in the entire solar system with 9.81 m/s^2 gravoty force, its a surefire plan.
Well, I'm relatively new to the workings of time travel. However, if travelling back in time six months, the Earth would be on the other side of the sun. If the time machine only attached itself to something with as strong a pull as the earth, then wouldn't it be drawn through the sun towards the Earth, thus causing the termination of the time machine?

Or something like that. I'm just thinking out loud here.
__________________
Way too much stupid talk on the forum. Iroquois, I’m thinking about you.



Originally Posted by gummo
OK I get it, that sounds interesting! However, most newspapers would state the person's name that was hit by a bus...

plus, if he goes back in time and then gets hit by the bus, then the whole scenario of him reading the newspaper would not exist.
Even if he read the newspaper or not he was going to travel back in time... so he does, and gets hit by a bus... but because he travelled back in time, there would now be TWO of him, the one originally living out his life, and the one getting hit by a bus and featuring in a newspaper. The first him still reads the newspaper because he doesn't get hit by the bus until he travels back in time.



28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Originally Posted by Ladies Man
Even if he read the newspaper or not he was going to travel back in time... so he does, and gets hit by a bus... but because he travelled back in time, there would now be TWO of him, the one originally living out his life, and the one getting hit by a bus and featuring in a newspaper. The first him still reads the newspaper because he doesn't get hit by the bus until he travels back in time.
Sorry about the drunk posts.

What you're saying here is what makes 12 Monkeys such an excellent movie.

What you're saying here is that life is not one line, but a circle.

You said that : In the paper reads many articles of pain death, even a man geting him by a bus..."

Did you mean hit, or him, meaning the guy reading the paper. Cause if you ment HIM, then no, because he would already be dead and not reading the paper.
__________________
"A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."

Suspect's Reviews



It's HIT. And I have edited my post.

No worries about the drunk post, happens to the best of us... well not to me yet. Well I better get drinking, see you in 3 minutes!



Back To The Future Rules



Originally Posted by The Immortal
Back To The Future Rules
If you're saying that BTTF is the coolest! Then I'm with you.

If your are saying my rules are like theirs then you are totally wrong... even though I think the films are great, I can not help but see the flaws in time travel.



I don't believe that actual time traveling can happen, but I can help you get the feeling of it. Just go to a local costume shop, buy a costume from a certain time period (perhaps even an imagined future), plan a party, send out party invitations, tell them to buy a costume from that time period, leave the door unlocked when the party is to begin, let them all come in, turn on some music, and dance, dance, dance, dance.... oh, and drink, drink, drink, drink, or do drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs, whatever!



Ground Control To Major Thom
Originally Posted by Ladies Man
If you're saying that BTTF is the coolest! Then I'm with you.

If your are saying my rules are like theirs then you are totally wrong... even though I think the films are great, I can not help but see the flaws in time travel.
I have always had a problem with part three from when I first saw it whenever it was, 1990. Near the beginning in 1955 when they discovered that Doc was killed in 1885 and on the gravestone it says something about his beloved Clara. This is a problem because in 1885 she is only saved from falling into the ravine because Doc and Marty are checking out the uncompleted bridge.

When they discover about Doc's death while still in 1955 it was called Clayton Ravine because Marty had not yet gone back to 1885 and saved her from death.

Or have I missed something, quite likely
__________________




28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Then you must have hated part 2 because out of all 3 movies, that one has the biggest plot hole. If Marty and his girlfriend left the present to go to the future, they wouldn't exist in the future.



Nonono. To travel back in time, you just need to surround youself with trinkets of the era you wish to travel to, lock yourself in a room with said trinkets, and then hypnotise yourself.

And whatever you do, don't look at the print-dates on any spare change you may have carried on your person into the past.



Ground Control To Major Thom
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Then you must have hated part 2 because out of all 3 movies, that one has the biggest plot hole. If Marty and his girlfriend left the present to go to the future, they wouldn't exist in the future.
it is a good point as from the moment they left in 1985 they would have been filed as missing persons...



It is that plot hole that always bugs me. Cause in this forums we talk about time travel... leaping instantly backwards and forwards through time... hense why I don't believe travelling to the future impossible. But when you think of it, the time travel described in H.G.Wells 'The Time Machine' is near perfect... except the fact realistically the same process going back in time isn't correct to myself... sure we can make a coccoon of electrons which conserve whatever is in it til we get to the future (However it happens to work) but going back in time... I don't know, just doesn't seem logical (thanks spock.)



Lets say A=me now and that B=me 5 mins ago, that would mean:

"According to a standard conception of identity, if A is identical to B, then A and B have all of their properties in common. This principle is commonly known as Leibniz’s law, after the philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, a 17th century German philosopher, who articulated this implication of our concept of identity. This principle is also referred to as "the principle of the indiscernibility of identicals". This law or principle might seem to imply that if a particular object (say a particular quantity of sugar) changes over time, then it’s not the same thing– after all, the properties of the object at one time are different from the properties of that object at another time. However, this reasoning rests on a confusion. Leibniz’s law does not imply that if A at T1 has properties f, g, and h, then A at T2 must have these same properties. Instead, it implies that, if it is true of A that at T1 it has properties f, g, and h, then at T2 it is true of A that at T1 it had properties f, g, and h."

Quoted from Jyl Gentzler

SO nah time travel just will not work out.
__________________
“The gladdest moment in human life, methinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton



Well when you think about it...

But! Just maybe it is possible using the 'worm hole theory' Hawkins is so famous for (Well that or his cool wheelchair). These discussions are purely based on the rules applies if such a thing exists or will.

I kind of see where you are coming from, when we talk about Times, and Dates, and Years... that is merely expendable when it comes to space... time really is just how we measure the passage of existence. Time is merely a Man-Made concept, as is pop-tarts and roller disco.

Existance is just the random movement of objects, thoughts, feelings, anything tangable... or possible not tangable.

What I'm really say is, what happens happens, it's happened and will not happen again, and there is real no timeline that it gets 'Recorded' onto....

Get my drift?



I disagree entirely, I favor the alternate reality theories. all that aside however,

I see no reason why travel to the future would be impossible. time is relative, and our future is simply another generations past. why would it be impossible to travel to "our" relative future, when we would also be travelling to the past?
__________________




I wish I could go back in time and re-live this whole post...it was so cool!