Western Hall of Fame II

Tools    

The Great Silence (1968)

'Spaghetti westerns' are a hit or miss with me. And that's because of the dubbing that's used. In The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef all recorded their dialogue in English with only some of the secondary actors recording in Italian. But in The Great Silence the dialog is recorded in Italian, well I believe Klaus Kinski might have done broken Italian or German and was dubbed latter into Italian...I watched in Italian for a while with subs but Klaus Kinski sounded funny and the idea of a western movie set in Utah with everyone speaking Italian seemed odd. So I ended up watching it in English dub, but that doesn't sound right either and made the actors seem less skilled than they actually were.

I did like the shooting locations, the snow covered mountains of Utah and the cinematography was great and different for a western. Loco (Klaus Kinski) was pretty darn intense! And the idea of the mute Silence (Jean-Louis Trintignant) with his own honor code was a pretty good character too. Like in TGTBTU I didn't like the Italian style of ultra close ups of the actors faces, it's just odd looking to me.

The story of settlers being chased out and killed by the rich land baron is often used, but it's a good story plot so it works here, and much better than it did in The Salvation. The opening scene requires some suspension of disbelief. Silence is riding in an open field of snow and a group of men are hiding behind bushes with rifles, laying in ambush. Silence would've been killed right then and there if this was real. It was hard to believe he had time to open up his gun box/holster thing and pull out his pistol and shoot all of the armed men who had rifles and had been aiming at him. But Silence is so good that he can shoot all the men before they can even graze him. I bet he could've shot all of those armed men after drinking five whiskeys too

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	15_11_Corbucci1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	59539  

The trick is not minding
Just a heads up, I am still very much in this, however with the new year upon us, work had instituted mandatory OT to make up for time lost during the Holidays and the fact they fired 2 people from my area this past week.
I am working 10 hour days and an extra 8 hours in Saturday, mandatory. I will try to get in a few reviews here and there the next few weeks, as I only have 5 left, but I may require an extension.
I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but I don’t want to drop out.

Just a heads up, I am still very much in this, however with the new year upon us, work had instituted mandatory OT to make up for time lost during the Holidays and the fact they fired 2 people from my area this past week.
I am working 10 hour days and an extra 8 hours in Saturday, mandatory. I will try to get in a few reviews here and there the next few weeks, as I only have 5 left, but I may require an extension.
I'm cool with that and I know how it is, I always seem to be busy these days myself. Maybe you can watch a movie as you commute to work? Nah, that's probably a bad idea

The trick is not minding
I'm cool with that and I know how it is, I always seem to be busy these days myself. Maybe you can watch a movie as you commute to work? Nah, that's probably a bad idea
Yeah, I wish. The 10 hours a day started yesterday, and I’m already feeling it today.
I can’t imagine it for an out her day and Saturday on top of it (if we work Saturday that is, there’s been talk they may shut down due to snow storm we’re expecting here). Hopefully I can get something going the next week and review a few.

The trick is not minding
Yeah, I wish. The 10 hours a day started yesterday, and I’m already feeling it today.
I can’t imagine it for an out her day and Saturday on top of it (if we work Saturday that is, there’s been talk they may shut down due to snow storm we’re expecting here). Hopefully I can get something going the next week and review a few.
Can you say what you do? If you'd rather keep that private I understand.
I operate these machines that create springs encased in plastic covering that can hold windows in place when inclined.

Whew, that sounds awful! I’m totally cool if you need an extension, no worries at all.

The trick is not minding
I operate these machines that create springs that can hold windows in place when inclined.
Thanks. I hope you're getting some overtime pay for all that extra hard work.
Oh I am, that’s for sure. Going to down some caffeine and take a stab at Rio Bravo tonight.

The trick is not minding
Whew, that sounds awful! I’m totally cool if you need an extension, no worries at all.
Thanks. Hopefully I won’t need an extension, but I’ll let you know for sure just in case. I don’t want to drop out, becaus I enjoy these. That and I’m also fairly confident my pick will win 😏

The Great Silence, we've watched quite a few dark westerns recently often time going over the top to the point of satire (looking at you Brimstone) well The Great Silence manages to be a dark western without going to absurd lengths. A silent killer with a code is drawn into a conflict between a group of amoral bounty hunters and a series of poor cowboys just trying to live.

The setting of the blizzard is great, the story also went in a few directions I didn't normally see coming. I love Klaus Kinski when he goes full Machiavellian crazy and he is a star in this one.

Great nomination

I haven't been very dedicated to this. I'm not sure I'll have enough time to watch all of them.
Once someone watches your nomination, dropping out is punishable by death.

Once someone watches your nomination, dropping out is punishable by death.

I've got guns. And sai.

The Cowboys

It is by no means one of the greatest westerns ever mode. The technique is minimal, and the character development is bumpy and mostly focuses on John Wayne. Most of the children are entertaining for what they have but are essentially no different from an elementary school kids' show cast with their own independent quirks. And the first half dragged on. But once the big twists began to kick in, the movie got really exciting. It was amazing to see the boys in action taking after the lessons that John Wayne's character gave them, ad they played their parts well enough to not seem cheesy. The Cowboys boasts the basics of what a coming-of-age story needs to be when applied to a western, and as a John Wayne fan it gave me so many strong emotions in the second half. Seeing John Wayne as a father figure is usually very entertaining.

I haven't been very dedicated to this. I'm not sure I'll have enough time to watch all of them.
You only have four left, and some people are already requesting an extension, so just let me know if you need one.

Legend in my own mind
Have only seen 3 of the films nominated, but for me 'The Salvation' is already the winner as it has Eric Cantona in it, and I love that man more than I love some of my family.

Eric

Have only seen 3 of the films nominated, but for me 'The Salvation' is already the winner as it has Eric Cantona in it, and I love that man more than I love some of my family.

Eric
Which of the 3 have you seen? and did you like them?

Legend in my own mind
Which of the 3 have you seen? and did you like them?
Actually it's 4.

The Salvation - Not a great film but Eric is in it so

TGTBATU - Loved it when I first watched it, but that seems to wane with each subsequent viewing

The Cowboys - Loved it

The man who shot Liberty Valance - Superb story telling

Actually it's 4.

The Salvation - Not a great film but Eric is in it so

TGTBATU - Loved it when I first watched it, but that seems to wane with each subsequent viewing

The Cowboys - Loved it

The man who shot Liberty Valance - Superb story telling
You should've joined!

We're doing a second Western HoF if you're interested.

Legend in my own mind
You should've joined!

We're doing a second Western HoF if you're interested.
I have just come back this week so missed it.

Will join the next one for sure.