17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just checking in as I think I'm close to 10 days.

I'm watching The Libertine later and should have some thoughts up tonight or tomorrow.
...or the next day?

...or the next day?
Didn't you know that Northern Ireland has operated at a 24 hour gap to everywhere else since our government collapsed?

@Miss Vicky

The Libertine (2004)

The Earl of Rochester's opening monologue is a nice novel intro which gives some idea of the tone of what is about to follow. Immediately, everything looks so murky which is refreshing for a British period piece. A dog is literally taking a dump in the background of a scene where Charles II is speaking on an important topic. Rochester's whole demeanour mixed with his humour is great. Tom Hollander, Johnny Depp, Johnny Vegas and Rupert Friend have to be one of the strangest onscreen groups. The murkiness in every shot creates a vibe which fits with the screenplay. I appreciated all of these touches because of how they contribute to the film's overall theme of debauchery and enjoyed the film on that basis.

Depp was well cast and I liked his portrayal. His character is out there but this feels like his best character performance where he's not being overtly gimmicky. I just wasn't feeling most of his one on one scenes with female characters. Which is a shame, as romance plays a major role and I didn't think it was interesting or compelling. The first half of the film was more enjoyable to me as that's where the pacing and tone is at its peak. Some of the second half was a real slog as the film pushes more towards its gloomy side.

I've mixed feelings on The Libertine. Leaning towards like right now though and it's certainly unlike anything else I've seen in the past year.

I started watching La nuit américaine yesterday. Managed to get whopping 30 minutes done in one go so this will likely take me few days. I have a strong feeling that I'm on my way for the first bad rating in this HoF.

I started watching La nuit américaine yesterday. Managed to get whopping 30 minutes done in one go so this will likely take me few days. I have a strong feeling that I'm on my way for the first bad rating in this HoF.
I would say that I'm surprised but I was pretty sure that you'd hate it.

Weird is relative.
Checking in... I have Pixote and Rush left to go.

If I have enough time before the end of this HOF, I may possibly re-watch and review Assassination of Jesse James as well even though it was disqualified. Some other people already did so when it was still in the running, so it's only fair. Plus, I had been looking forward to viewing it again.

If I have enough time before the end of this HOF, I may possibly re-watch and review Assassination of Jesse James as well even though it was disqualified. Some other people already did so when it was still in the running, so it's only fair. Plus, I had been looking forward to viewing it again.
If any of the participants who haven't already watched The Assassination of Jesse James would like to write it up and discuss it in this thread, I'm fine with that. I'll even link them in the second post. Just keep in mind that it doesn't count towards HOF participation (in terms of movies watched/written up. Any post you make in here counts as a check-in) and isn't eligible for voting.

The Dressmaker

The film does a lot of things right. It was really good casing to have Kate Winslett in the lead role. I thought she did real well, as she usually does. Also, the film itself is beautiful. The landscapes look amazing. As silly as it sounds, the dresses in the film are also simply stunning. Really no shock that the rugby players were so distracted by Winsletts attire.

I wish I liked the film more, but I didn't really care for the overall core story. I found the reason for the death of her brother to be a bit too strange for me, and especially for her to be the actual reason for it. I don't think it was really all that realistic so it kind of hampered down the film for me. Also, I actually didn't care for Judy Davis' character or really her performance at all. Actually found it a bit obnoxious if I'm being honest.

Like I said, I wanted to like it more than I did but I didn't find it as entertaining as I would have liked. I'm not going to call it a bad fm, just one that isn't suited to my tastes, which continues my feast or famine mood with this Hall of Fame.

+

The Dressmaker

I found the reason for the death of her brother to be a bit too strange for me, and especially for her to be the actual reason for it...
What brother? She didn't have a brother. Did you get the movie stream to finally work?

*Spoiler Alert

What brother? She didn't have a brother. Did you get the movie stream to finally work?
Yes, she did. It was revealed at the end that the father of the boy who bullied her was also her father, making them half siblings.

*Spoiler Alert

Yes, she did. It was revealed at the end that the father of the boy who bullied her was also her father, making them half siblings.
This is what I thought as well.

I got it to work, just have to switch to my iPad for a bit to finish.

*Spoiler Alert

Oh heck, I've seen that twice and missed that part.

Ghostwatch

Sorry I didn't think it was terrible but it did nothing for me. I knew that much literally 3 minutes in. Ghosts don't interest me. I don't believe in them and they're generally my least favorite horror movies. My wife watches paranormal/ghost TV shows and I pay zero attention.

I don't think this was the way to watch this movie. I feel like the only way would have been to view it live when it first aired. Even then, I'd have to be young in order for it to have any effect. I think there needs to be some buying in for the movie to be effective.

As far as I could tell, the production and acting was ok at best. I couldn't picture it being convincing to anyone, even though I know it was. I did think it got a little better after the first half hour. Pipes was a pretty cool idea I must say. It wasn't a bad watch even with my complaints.

In 2012 a documentary came out called Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains. It's about the production and the mass hysteria that followed. It's not as highly rated as the movie itself, but I find that story to be much more interesting. There were some tragic consequences to the original airing.

@cricket - 3 movies left
@edarsenal - 5 movies left
@HashtagBrownies - 6 movies left
@Luis - 9 movies left!
@MijaFrost - 2 movies left
@Nathaniel - 5 movies left
@neiba - 10 movies left!
@pahaK - 3 movies left
@rauldc14 - 2 movies left
@Siddon - 3 movies left
@TheUsualSuspect - 10 movies left!

Just a reminder that we have just over 5 weeks left until the deadline. Some of you are still in the single digits of movies watched/written up and need to pick up the pace!

Suspect, neiba, and Luis - are you guys really still in this?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
@cricket - 3 movies left
@Luis - 9 movies left!
@neiba - 10 movies left!
@pahaK - 3 movies left
@Siddon - 3 movies left

Just a reminder that we have just over 5 weeks left until the deadline. Some of you are still in the single digits of movies watched/written up and need to pick up the pace!

I just finished up my B-Movie HoF and submitted my list. So this is my main focus now.

Suspect's Reviews

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
@cricket - 3 movies left
@Luis - 9 movies left!
@neiba - 10 movies left!
@pahaK - 3 movies left
@Siddon - 3 movies left

Absolutely still in this! i ain't quitting hell no! Setting-up Rush right now as we speak.