Favorite Talking Voice?

Tools    

But ...but.....but.....but I just was gonna say Morgan Freeman

Well then, that leaves Harrison Ford as number one . I always liked his no-frills masculine voice. And he did narrate a nature program.

Also - Richard Basehart - had a deep resonant baritone that was a pleasure to hear.

Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch - a calming, soothing voice that spoke kindness,honesty, understanding and justice.

But seriously, even though it's not really a "good" voice I always liked John Hurt a lot. Just the right amount of scratchy.

And Orson Bean, who to me was just the voice of Bilbo in the 1977 animated version of The Hobbit.

Oh, and Cary Grant - a delightful cadence- unmistakably urbane, unique and witty - oft imitated but never truly captured.

Charles Shaughnessy - I' m a sucker for an English accent

For comedic purposes - Walter Matthau - sounding his most hilarious when most exasperated -" You leave little notes on my pillow saying F.U . It took me three days to figure out
F. U. was Felix Unger" . Lmao.

One of the perfect combinations of voice and series was the lilting and alluring narrations by Paul Winfield for the fascinating run of City Confidential shows (1998-2005). There were 134 of them in all. Winfield died in 2004, and was replaced by Keith David. IMO the absence of Winfield was likely the chief reason for the show's eventual cancellation.

We still repeat watch many of the episodes today. It doesn't matter much to me which city or which crime is featured. It's just so relaxing to hear Winfield's voice over top of the dreamy, atmospheric music.

Still, it seems to me that the show could be revived with a new unique narrator after all this time. The public would love it.

~Doc

Ricky Jay has a great voice.
This is an interesting choice. When I think about his voice, I like it okay, but I realize what I really like in his talking voice is not the voice, but the talking. He said things in interesting and flowery ways. Any distinction there on your end, or nah, is it legitimately just the voice?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ricky Jay has a great voice.
This is an interesting choice. When I think about his voice, I like it okay, but I realize what I really like in his talking voice is not the voice, but the talking. He said things in interesting and flowery ways. Any distinction there on your end, or nah, is it legitimately just the voice?
Both. I remember watching Magnolia in the theater and thinking, "Woah, this narrator is perfect!" His role in Deadwood confirmed it for me. Granted, writing MAY be a larger factor here but in all honesty would Morgan Freeman have been noticed for a speaking voice had it not been for March of the Penguins?

William Hurt - He really has an interesting voice. That whole sequence in History of Violence when he talks had me hooked in.

Kelly Macdonald - Sexy with the accent, wholesome and did I say Sexy.

Linda Fiorentino - Sultry voice. Watch 'The Last seduction'.

Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Jean Shepherd - Radio personality 50's-70's (also narrated his work on A Christmas Story)
Paul Harvey - Also of radio fame

Chris Hemsworth