The MoFo pre-1930 Countdown: preliminary thread

→ in
Tools    

I really hope that one is next. Would be interesting to see the results.
I'd actually rather wait, do another 2000s list (I know we had a Millenium already, but we should a proper 2000s), and then after a year or two, we can look back at the 2010s without as much "recency bias" as I guess Captain Spaulding put it.

I don't care but don't we usually do a genre after a decade? 2010's should wait until at least mid-2020 until everything from 2019 is available.

Going to try and cram in as many films for this as I can. So many great films and directors I want to explore and so little time, my own fault for not being around much until recently!

I also think that a proper 2000s (2000-2009) list would be a great idea. From this decade I have seen no where near enough unfortunately.

List sent. I figured I probably wouldn't see anything else in a week that would make my list, or change it substantially.

Anyways, I'm happy with what I have. My #25 entry got a
, which is pretty solid.

Ahwell's list is the seventh and I'm delighted to say takes us beyond the first target of 25 qualifying fillums.

Ladieeeeees and gentleeeeeemen ...... we officially have a countdown

Fun fact:
Thus far a grand total of 79 different titles have been nominated so plenty of scope for a Top 50 or perhaps bigger if enough people contribute.

mark f provides our eighth list and we start on our march toward hopefully making it a Top 50....

Yoda mailed in our ninth list and the total number of qualifying films creeps ever higher....

Pre-30's? Wow! I can't even list one movie
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Pre-30's? Wow! I can't even list one movie
Neither could I until this countdown... or at least I had only seen one, Sherlock, Jr.

Welcome to the human race...
Bah, I totally forgot about this and didn't try to watch more titles. I'll send in a list anyway.

Don't see why I can't draw a list up, when's the due date? Oh, Oct 6th, THIS week!

First time participating in one of these...I'm excited!

SURISURI's list is the tenth and maintains the upward movement of our total number of qualifying films

TSL and Holden Pike provide the eleventh and twelfth lists respectively and I'm pleased to say we are now over halfway to our second target

CR opts to take the 'superstitious' spot and provides our thirteenth list ..... and as long as someone has extremely long arms we're now almost within touching distance of that second goal

Yeah me As always it's so hard cutting great films to get down to a list of 25, but I did it!

This has been a great idea for a countdown...I've not only discovered a lot of cool pre 30s films... but more importantly I've had an epiphany that these old silent films were in some ways the height of cinema creativity, expressing film as art. I knew that there were some cool silent films, but I didn't realize just how serious the film makers were back in the day and so I'm glad for that realization.