Merry Christmas Music Tournament

Tools    

Round 1, Day 1!!!

1~Mariah Carey ~ All I Want for Christmas is You vs. 5~Celtic Carol (instrumental) - Lindsay Sterling
Im not a mariah fan but this is a great christmas song. I liked the other one aswell though

2~Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born (Soleado)
vs. 1~John Mellencamp ~ I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
both okay,i prefer other versions of the second one-it was a really fun version but it wasnt very christmassy.

7~The Eurythmics - Winter Wonderland vs. 3~The Muppets - Jingle Belll Rock
I usually love the erythmics but wasnt really a fan of this cover.I dont really have a connection to the muppets,its not something i used to watch as a kid but i can see it being fun

2~Michael Barbera - Do You Hear What I Hear vs. 7~John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is Over)
This was closer than i thought it would be. Added the first one to my christmaslist

5~What's this? - The Nightmare before Christmas vs. 4~Gayla Peevey - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Never heard either,I like the nostalgia of the second one,but the first was really fun.

6~Kelly,Trisha & Reba-Silent night vs. 7~Cee Lo Green - What Christmas Means to Me
First one is my nom..also cee lo is a rapist so hard for me to vote on that

5~God bless us everyone - Andrea Bocelli vs. 1~Darlene Love ~ All Alone on Christmas
Never heard either,loved both.

4~Idina Menzel & Michael Bublé - Baby It's Cold Outside vs. 1~Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd ~ Mary Did You Know?
Great song and cute video!

cee lo is a rapist so hard for me to vote on that
I had no idea. I'd never even heard of him before. I was trying to find the version of the song I remembered liking the most, and out of the ones I found on Youtube, that sounded the closest.

That was actually a huge problem I had with nominating songs. I've heard a lot of different versions of Christmas songs (particularly at work), but have no idea who sings them.

I had no idea. I'd never even heard of him before. I was trying to find the version of the song I remembered liking the most, and out of the ones I found on Youtube, that sounded the closest.

That was actually a huge problem I had with nominating songs. I've heard a lot of different versions of Christmas songs (particularly at work), but have no idea who sings them.
I dont think anyone besides me cares about stuff like that when voting though,so not to worry! I only know of him because he was on the voice when shakira was theres (also he sings that **** you/forget you song)
I also struggled finding songs..so a few of mine are songs ive barely ever listened to

Since the song match-ups in that post have changed since they were originally set, I assume the matches Topsy voted in are the correct/updated ones, so I had a listen to all of them as well.

Round 1, Day 1!!!

1~Mariah Carey ~ All I Want for Christmas is You vs. 5~Celtic Carol (instrumental) - Lindsay Sterling
While I'm not a fan of Mariah Carey, her version of that song is perfectly fine. I am, however, a huge sucker for violins. I'd seen that Lindsay Sterling song before, maybe last year, but kind of forgot about it.

2~Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born (Soleado) vs. 1~John Mellencamp ~ I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
I really like John Mellencamp's version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". If it wasn't already taken, I definitely would've nominated it. I wasn't really a fan of "When a Child is Born".

I couldn't figure out which version of "Winter Wonderland" I liked the most, and I decided on the Eurythmics just because it was a bit different. While I love other versions of "Jingle Bell Rock", I actually really dislike the Muppets so that was kind of difficult to listen to.

2~Michael Barbera - Do You Hear What I Hear vs. 7~John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is Over)
I'd never heard that version of "Do You Hear What I Hear", but then again I haven't heard many different versions because I don't really like overly religious holiday music. "Happy Xmas" is almost too depressing, and I might not have nominated it if I could think of anything else, but I like it a little more than the other song in this match.

5~What's this? - The Nightmare before Christmas vs. 4~Gayla Peevey - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
I don't like Nightmare Before Christmas, but it does have some catchy music. "What's This?" is nowhere near as good as "This is Halloween", but that song is not really seasonally appropriate haha. I've never been a fan of "I Want a Hippopatamus for Christmas", I find her voice to be very grating. It kind of irritates me that I've heard it so many times I know all the words.

6~Kelly,Trisha & Reba-Silent night
vs. 7~Cee Lo Green - What Christmas Means to Me
I've heard Kelly Clarkson's name, but don't know any songs by her. I don't even know which of the three women she was. I only really liked the voice of the girl in the red dress. I didn't like the girl in the green dress at all, and the black dress lady made me turn the volume down. Overall it was a typical rendition of "Silent Night". I was going to nominate the Stevie Wonder version of "What Christmas Mean to Me", but I liked the music a little more in this version.

5~God bless us everyone - Andrea Bocelli vs. 1~Darlene Love ~ All Alone on Christmas

"God Bless Us Everyone" is the only song in this Round I don't think I've ever heard any version of before. I wasn't really a fan of the singer. I'm not very familiar with that Darlene Love song either, but it was pleasant to listen to.

4~Idina Menzel & Michael Bublé - Baby It's Cold Outside
vs. 1~Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd ~ Mary Did You Know?
I don't listen to Michael Bublé, but my room mate likes him a lot. I couldn't watch the video (it was really weird seeing young children but hearing adult voices), but I liked the song itself. While the voices of the singers in "Mary Did You Know?" did a good job, I don't like that song at all and their rendition unfortunately didn't change that.

Round 1, Day 1!!!

Mariah Carey ~ All I Want for Christmas is You vs. Celtic Carol (instrumental) - Lindsey Stirling
Not a huge fan of Ms. Carey but that's one of a few I don't mind from her, love a few violin pieces but that one has never particularly done much for me

Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born (Soleado) vs. John Mellencamp ~ I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
Absolutely adore Mathis as a singer, t'other was on my list but Lisa nabbed it first

The Eurythmics - Winter Wonderland vs. The Muppets - Jingle Belll Rock
Not keen on either tbh, Dave & Annie sound like they are simply going through the motions of having a Christmas single but it's still preferable to a lacklustre version of a song that I've never cared for anyway

Michael Barbera - Do You Hear What I Hear vs. John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is Over)
Both were on my list but obviously I prefer the one that made my final cut over the one that didn't

What's this? - The Nightmare before Christmas vs. Gayla Peevey - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Closer than I expected to be fair but the latter was always gonna struggle with me

Kelly,Trisha & Reba-Silent night vs. Cee Lo Green - What Christmas Means to Me
First link needs the "m" adding btw and I'm not enamoured of it but it just about gets the sway here for me as t'other just doesn't suit my personal taste in Christmas songs

God bless us everyone - Andrea Bocelli vs.Darlene Love ~ All Alone on Christmas
Not mad on Bocelli but despite having had one from Ms. Love in contention for my list All Alone again just doesn't suit my personal preference in Christmas songs

Idina Menzel & Michael Bublé - Baby It's Cold Outside vs. Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd ~ Mary Did You Know?
Really tough match, both are great nominations imo

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
OK, take your time, and I hope you enjoy yourselves.

Christine, I still need two more songs from you. I also need one more song from both Chyp and GBG.
It would really help if everyone would update their original song post, with all of their nominations. We all have 18 nominations each, except for Chyp and GBG, who both have 19 each.

This is my full list of nominations, including the last extra one, (19 total songs). I also updated my earlier post in this thread with my 3 extra noms.

George Strait - Christmas Cookies
Clint Black - Til' Santa's Gone (Milk and Cookies)
Neil Diamond - You Make It Feel Like Christmas
Spike Jone & His City Slickers - All I Want For Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth)
Buck Owens - Santa Looked A Lot Like Daddy
George Strait - Frosty the Snowman
Elvis Presley & Martina McBride - Blue Christmas
Steve Wariner - On Christmas Morning
Barry Gordon - Nuttin' for Christmas
Gayla Peevey - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Thurl Ravenscroft - You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch
The Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy's Christmas
Bing Crosby - Hawaiian Christmas Song (Mele Kalikimaka)
Alan Jackson - I Only Want You for Christmas
Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme - Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
Idina Menzel & Michael Bublé - Baby It's Cold Outside

Alan Jackson - Let It Be Christmas
Joe Diffie - Leroy the Redneck Reindeer

Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - A Merry Christmas At Grandmother’s House

Round 1, Day 1!!!

1~Mariah Carey ~ All I Want for Christmas is You vs. 5~Celtic Carol (instrumental) - Lindsay Sterling (I liked the Mariah Carey song, but Lindsay Sterling is terrific.)

2~Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born (Soleado) vs. 1~John Mellencamp ~ I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (I love Johnny Mathis, and the John Mellencamp song was only okay for me.)

7~The Eurythmics - Winter Wonderland vs. 3~The Muppets - Jingle Bell Rock (I've never been much of fan of The Eurythmics, but that was a nice version of that song.)

2~Michael Barbera - Do You Hear What I Hear vs. 7~John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is Over) (I don't know who Michael Barbera is, but he has a great voice.)

5~What's this? - The Nightmare before Christmas vs. 4~Gayla Peevey - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (This was really tough, but I'm voting against my own nom here. I should have just let you keep it up against my other nom. )

6~Kelly,Trisha & Reba-Silent Night vs. 7~Cee Lo Green - What Christmas Means to Me (The link for "Kelly,Trisha & Reba-Silent night" doesn't work. It's missing the "www" or "m" part of the link. This is the corrected link.)

5~God bless us everyone - Andrea Bocelli vs. 1~Darlene Love ~ All Alone on Christmas (Andrea Bocelli has a great voice, and that was a nice song.)

4~Idina Menzel & Michael Bublé - Baby It's Cold Outside vs. 1~Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd ~ Mary Did You Know? (I love Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd, but I don't really care much for that song.)

Round 1, Day 1!!!

6~Kelly,Trisha & Reba-Silent night
vs. 7~Cee Lo Green - What Christmas Means to Me
I've heard Kelly Clarkson's name, but don't know any songs by her. I don't even know which of the three women she was. I only really liked the voice of the girl in the red dress. I didn't like the girl in the green dress at all, and the black dress lady made me turn the volume down. Overall it was a typical rendition of "Silent Night". I was going to nominate the Stevie Wonder version of "What Christmas Mean to Me", but I liked the music a little more in this version.
Kelly Clarkson is the girl in the red dress, (the one who started the song).
Trisha Yearwood is the girl in the green dress, (but it looked gray to me).
Reba McEntire is the black dress lady, (the redhead who was the last one to come on stage).

Round 1, Day 1!!!

Im not a mariah fan but this is a great christmas song. I liked the other one aswell though

both okay,i prefer other versions of the second one-it was a really fun version but it wasnt very christmassy.

I usually love the erythmics but wasnt really a fan of this cover.I dont really have a connection to the muppets,its not something i used to watch as a kid but i can see it being fun

This was closer than i thought it would be. Added the first one to my christmaslist

Never heard either,I like the nostalgia of the second one,but the first was really fun.

6~Kelly,Trisha & Reba-Silent night vs. 7~Cee Lo Green - What Christmas Means to Me
First one is my nom..also cee lo is a rapist so hard for me to vote on that

Never heard either,loved both.

4~Idina Menzel & Michael Bublé - Baby It's Cold Outside vs. 1~Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd ~ Mary Did You Know?
Great song and cute video!

1 All I Want For Christmas

2 When A Child Is Born

3 Winter Wonderland

4 Do You Hear What I Hear

5 I Want A Hippoptomus For Christmas

6 Silent Night

7 All Alone At Christmas

8 Baby Its Cold Outside.

Gee wiz i wish i would have known about this one.

had to listen to different links for What's This (but it was the same film one) and God Bless Us Everyone but Andrea Bocelli is Andrea Bocelli so I guess it is all good

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Round 1 Day 1

2~Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born (Soleado) vs. 1~John Mellencamp ~ I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Btw, have the radio stations where you guys are started with the christmas songs yet? The station I usually listen to on my way to work has had a special thing the last few years: 24/7 christmas music...from the 1st of December until the 31st. And it's only about 25-30 songs they play...nonstop...FOR A MONTH. This year, owing to massive complaints from listeners, apparently, they've shown some restraint. Now they'll wait until after the celebration of Saint Lucia on the 13th and then go on to the 24/7 christmas music...with the same 25-30 songs....................Progress???

Btw, have the radio stations where you guys are started with the christmas songs yet.
No idea, not listened to the radio since John Peel passed away

I would never listen to any radio station that only rotated 25 songs anyway tho - no matter what the time of year or the tunes .... sounds more like torture than entertainment to me

I'd skip it completely if it wasn't for the hosts of the morning show. They're funny, discuss interesting topics and they're part of my morning routine. It's more or less the only time I even listen to the radio and I still get tired of the music.

I don't listen to the radio, but all the stores here (including the one I work at) begin playing Christmas music the day after Remembrance Day. It's been like this every year for as long as I can remember. There is never a wide enough variety of songs being played, and it seems like you hear the same things everywhere you go every single year. It would probably start earlier too if people didn't get offended, thinking that an earlier start to the holiday season would upset veterans (there is always some drama about this every year, with people getting mad at stores having decorations up before Remembrance Day).

I agree that it's way too early to start - not because of potentially upsetting veterans (most of them say they don't care), but rather because the season really doesn't need to last that long. As a fan of Halloween, it hurts my soul to see stores setting up their Christmas displays in mid October. Working in retail, and hearing the same few Christmas songs from November 12 to sometime in January is also very irritating.

Btw, have the radio stations where you guys are started with the christmas songs yet?

I rarely listen to the radio, but I added a micro SD card with about 300 Christmas songs to my mp3 player. It mixes in with my regular playlist of about 2000 other songs, so I get a nice variety of music throughout the holiday season.

^ That's the right way to do things. Having just a few Christmas songs over and over again is tiring. Mixing them in with non-seasonal songs alleviates that.

300 Christmas songs is a lot though (on it's own, it's not much compared to 2000). Are there many unique songs in there, or is it just a ton of different versions of the same song?

I don't listen to the radio, but all the stores here (including the one I work at) begin playing Christmas music the day after Remembrance Day.
Was going to ask when that is, but if I understand correctly it's November 11th?

As a fan of Halloween, it hurts my soul to see stores setting up their Christmas displays in mid October. Working in retail, and hearing the same few Christmas songs from November 12 to sometime in January is also very irritating.
Not having that big of a Halloween here, though it's gotten bigger and bigger over the last 10 years. Really all the major american holidays except thanksgiving have started to show their faces. We even started getting our own black friday sales a few years ago without any of the preamble of thanksgiving. That said, we don't see that much of a transition from Halloween to christmas, though. There's a kinda big gap for us throughout November, but as I understand it, you guys have Thanksgiving between Halloween and christmas. Does the separate holidays mash together into a giant three month celebration or something? 'Cause it seems wired to hang up your christmas stuff after Halloween, shouldn't it be the fall leaves and turkeys before the reindeers and snowmen?