Mofo Needs A Mofo Help

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Not in particular with a question of a certain movie, but of certain movies.

Being in the script writing class one thing you need to do is, well write scripts. I've written my fair share of stuff and want to begin drafting out a story. I'm looking into the murder-mystery style.

What I'm looking for are films that I can watch as a type of research for this. If you want a better idea of what style I'm going for think Clue, Murder on the Orient Express and Ten Little Indians or And Then There Were None. (The latter three I have not seen, btw)

Are there any films out there like the ones I've listed?

I know Gosford Park has murder and suspects, but I don't know anything else about that film or the direction it takes.

Any help would be great.

Suspect's Reviews

• The Thin Man
    1934, W.S. Van Dyke
  • Laura
    1944, Otto Preminger
  • Green for Danger
    1946, Sidney Gilliat
  • The Last of Sheila
    1973, Herbert Ross
  • Breakheart Pass
    1975, Tom Gries
  • Murder by Death
    1976, Robert Moore
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"Whodunit?"

I'd recommend starting with The Thin Man, Murder on the Orient Express and Laura. Those should show you how the whodunit is constructed at its best, and all three have slight variations on the classic 'I've brought you all here to expose the murderer' finale. Plus they're all terrific flicks anyway, so it'll be a joy to watch 'em for the first time.

Thank Holds.

I knew I could count on you throwing your opinion in.

Side question.

Why did you remove a film and add Green For Danger? Simply better suited to the original post?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know what Holds' reason may have been because I didn't see the edit, but Green For Danger is great no matter which way you approach it.

Death on the Nile

was the film he took down, it just popped into my head.

I tracked down Murder By Death first and just finished watching it. I enjoyed it, but that it wouldn't have been infinitely better had it been a bit longer and had more of the whodunit feel. It felt like once the murder happened, the film was pretty much over. Still, glad I watched it.