Old Sesame Street Labeled "For Adults"

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
In other news, they had to put a "Not for children:Adults only" warning on a recent DVD release of an old television program. Can you guess which program is "Not for Kids"?

Sesame Street

...!!!???

Yup, you read that correctly. Sesame Street is "Adults Only"

What the **** is going on?

From what I am reading, the whole thing was a showcase of the worst humanity has to offer. A manic-depressive creature that lives in a trash can, A giant bird that sees invisible elephants, A monster that is clearly cracked out on binge eating, and a closeted pair of puppets, like Toose just mentioned. Not to mention the evil humans on the show. A creepy black couple that coaxes little lost children to their house to have milk and cookies, a long haired hippy in, of all things, a wheelchair, and, worst of all, they had one of those mexican...

Wait a minute...

I loved Sesame Street. I can target that one show as one of the biggest influences of my childhood. It taught me that, no matter what people looked or sounded like, they could still be good. It taught me the value of all the people in my community. It taught me about numbers, spelling, food, right and wrong, and that I should treat everyone around me with respect.

So what if the street looked kind og ghetto? I grew up on "that side of the tracks", and, as kids, we needed a ray of sunlight streaming into what was otherwise grim surroundings. The fact that it was set in a ghetto-ish area helped most kids connect with the shows ideas, and showed that people could be happy no matter what their situation, or where they lived.

Shame on you, Sesame Workshop. Shame on you, for attempting to tear down the hard work of an entire generation of people that were trying to help kids get used to the world around them. You can take your sickly sweet, prozac-jacked, computer modified, creepy perma-smile puppets, and take a long walk on a short pier.

Long live Oscar

No sticker, warning on the DVD as you start it:

'These early 'Sesame Street' episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today's preschool child.'

I guess it's just because I am a child of the 70s. My mind is blown that a children's show I grew up on is now intended for grown-ups.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Omigosh -- does that mean today's kids are growing up SOOOO wussy and psychologically pampered that a vampire puppet teaching them to count might give them nightmares, or an indeterminate green monster of questionable species talking gruff will make them cry?

I'm SO glad my kids got in on the Sesame Street thing before all this happened. I'm afraid to turn on the local PBS station and see what the show has turned into if they have to slap warnings on the classic episodes!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I remember the days when the only real "issue" people had with Sesame Street was that, compared to MisteRogers Neighborhood, it was a bit choppy and fast-paced and didn't teach children how to pay attention for long periods of time. (I kinda agree with that part.)

Yikes. Societal collapse on the horizon, gang.

Next thing ya know "Electric Company" is gonna be rated X or something.

I grew up on Sesame Street and I find this to be totally assinine. I don't know who these people are who get these strange ideas about them being 'Adults Only' but they should watch them with the notion of how they are actually presented.

I grew up in the 80's watching Sesame Street. In fact, one of my first ever favorite movies was Follow That Bird (a Sesame Street movie that features Big Bird moving to Illinois to be with a bird family).

I guess I must have missed all of the mature, X-rated material that was featured in the early, 1960's version of Sesame Street. "Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?" was probably a very popular question because Sesame Street used to be known as an A-class hooker hot spot.

Sesame Street is always undergoing changes, though. When I was growing up, there was no Elmo. Nowadays, Cookie Monster prefers eating fruits and vegetables!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Oh sure, it changed as it went along and added new characters, but it's about as subversive as those Disney Aladdin and Little Mermaid "finds" years back. The bishop marrying "Ariel" to the Prince has a woody? Wow! X-rated. Most people get out what they put in, you damn cloistered woodland fools!

Like I say, this thing with SS being X-rated is bulls*it. Not once in all my years, all my families years since it's been on, has there been a glimpse of any human sign of any sort. Not even a 'Adults Only non X-Rated'. The day I see puppets doing each other I'll change my opinion.

The People's Republic of Clogher
One of my first childhood crushes was on Maria.

Heck, she's still lookin' dandy today! Bit of a Rosie Perez thing a-goin' on there but as I find Ms Perez strangely attractive I'd still be like a dog with two tails...

So yeah, adults only Sesame Street? Only if Maria is up for it.